daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 20th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #14881
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6007

Mars is plan B? What if I don't wanna eat Matt Damon's shit potatoes?

Kanadzie liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #14882
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5644

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The new MIRT studies are;

* CRA = Corridor Rotterdam - Antwerpen (A4 extension)
* A4 The Hague (A4 expansion around The Hague, almost half a billion euros is reserved for it)

These projects have long been contemplated so aren't really surprising. The CRA / A4 extension project was part of an earlier MIRT study in 2011, which at the time did not lead to any further steps due to the economic crisis.

The A4 The Hague project is basically the next step of the earlier 'Haaglanden' regional mobility study. Which is why this project already has some design and planning work done, with € 453 million reserved for it in the mid-to-late 2020s.
Good to see that the A4 is getting more attention, even though nothing solid regarding the plans can be expected anytime soon. The A4 has several bottlenecks and still a crucial missing link on the South-Western part of Rotterdam which should be addressed including the crossing over the Haringvliet waters to make for a smooth connection between Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Antwerp.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 06:12 PM   #14883
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 775

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb.2 View Post
Ruimte literally just means "space". It's used in the same contexts as in English. For example, it could also mean "outer space".
Maybe the Dutch are launching a space program to build a colony on Mars, for when the ice caps will melt. It could be the Delta Plan II program.
That's why I asked. That use of "spatial" sort of sounded extraterrestrial to me, although I couldn't think of a good alternative. But I'm not familiar with planning jargon.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 06:18 PM   #14884
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 18936

Usually the term would be 'urban planning'. But the Dutch took that to the next level and meticulously planned the entire country with all aspects. Nature is artifically built over here.

They literally say 'we gaan een natuurgebied aanleggen' (we're going to construct a nature reserve), because everything is cultivated. There are virtually no 'wild' areas.

Hence, the term 'spatial planning' as an umbrella for all projects in and outside of urban areas.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 06:21 PM   #14885
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

In French, there's "aménagement du territoire" - literally, "arrangement of the territory." But as far as I can tell it's sort of an umbrella term for things like infrastructure, zoning, agricultural policy.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 21st, 2017, 02:39 AM   #14886
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 744

Quote:
Usually the term would be 'urban planning'. But the Dutch took that to the next level and meticulously planned the entire country with all aspects. Nature is artifically built over here.

They literally say 'we gaan een natuurgebied aanleggen' (we're going to construct a nature reserve), because everything is cultivated. There are virtually no 'wild' areas.
It's the nordzee
Old September 21st, 2017, 10:47 AM   #14887
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6007

With all the wind turbines and drilling platforms, the Dutch North Sea is basically an industrial area now. Not a square meter left unplanned.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 01:49 PM   #14888
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21126

This remind me of my far-fetched plan to build a Wadden highway dramatically shortening the coastline length in the North, like they did in Zeeland*, and making the Waddenzee a controlled water body like the Oosterscheldt.

*I know N67 is a consequence of the dams and sea levees and not the other way around.
Old September 21st, 2017, 07:13 PM   #14889
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
This remind me of my far-fetched plan to build a Wadden highway
You're not the first.

Courtesy of the Texelse Courant.

Though these ideas have become a lot less current since we've started taking ecological concerns into account. The Grevelingen is not doing so well.
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 10:15 PM   #14890
Suburbanist
on the road

Speaking of this issue, Rijkwaterstraat is going to build a new nature reserve at the Markenmeerdijk (between Enkhuizen and Lelystad)

IJsselmeer: versterking Houtribdijk (video available on the page).

sbondorf liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 04:16 PM   #14891
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N307 Dronten

Construction is well underway for the new N307 at Dronten. It is a two-lane, 100 km/h road. It will bypass some roundabouts and intersecting roads. The plan is to open the new road by late 2017.

They elongated two roundabouts at either end of the project to a six-branch oval roundabout.

It's kind of interesting how not advanced it looks, considering it will open to traffic within 3 months. Construction started in January, so it is now ¾ completed, even if it doesn't look like that. There are three bridges (two over intersecting roads and one over a canal).

N307-6 Lage Vaart-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

N307-10 Rendierweg-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

N307-12 Rendierweg-5 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old September 24th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #14892
ChrisZwolle
Road user

bridge work

2 months (including 3 week summer vacation) of bridge work at Dronten. So this is basically a 5-week progress:

July 22:

N307 Dronten 22-07-2017-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

September 23

N307-6 Lage Vaart-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

keokiracer, Luki_SL, EPA001 liked this post
Old September 25th, 2017, 08:36 PM   #14893
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A76 Nuth

The new Nuth interchange where N300 meets A76 will become a 'turboplein'. (plein would be translated as 'square' but it's not a square roundabout...) It's essentially a turbo roundabout with traffic lights and multiple lanes for each direction.

There are some 'turboplein' roundabouts in the Rotterdam/The Hague area. This is the first to be part of a motorway interchange.

EPA001 liked this post
Old September 26th, 2017, 12:06 AM   #14894
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 767

That's one complex son of a gun! Very UK like, but with way more capacity!

JuaanAcosta liked this post
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 06:26 AM   #14895
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
The new Nuth interchange where N300 meets A76 will become a 'turboplein'. (plein would be translated as 'square' but it's not a square roundabout...) It's essentially a turbo roundabout with traffic lights and multiple lanes for each direction.

There are some 'turboplein' roundabouts in the Rotterdam/The Hague area. This is the first to be part of a motorway interchange.

A "square" doesn't need to be square (look at Times Square in New York), but it's usually urban. How about "turbo plaza"?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 26th, 2017, 10:02 AM   #14896
Suburbanist
on the road

'turborotonde' sounds cool to me.
Old September 26th, 2017, 05:54 PM   #14897
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3335

So, what's the difference between "turbo roundabout" and "turboplein"? The latter is just larger, with more lanes and traffic lights?
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 06:01 PM   #14898
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, the principle of a 'turborotonde' and a 'turboplein' are the same: separated lanes where you have to choose the correct lane before entering the roundabout. However a 'turboplein' is larger, traffic has to yield to more than two lanes so it is necessary to control the flow of traffic by traffic lights. It also has a significantly larger footprint than a regular turbo roundabout. It can handle very high volumes of traffic, theoretically 11,000 vehicles/hour.

Reivajar liked this post
Old September 26th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #14899
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
'turborotonde' sounds cool to me.
It is cool, but I was responding to Chris's looking for an English translation. A "turborotunda" might be, I don't know, like the round central hall of the U.S. Capitol if you somehow made it rotate fast.... Maybe if they put a fast-moving conveyor belt around the perimeter so doddering senators could get through it faster.

(I'm being silly. Don't mind me.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 26th, 2017, 07:22 PM   #14900
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A 'plein' is one of those terms applied to things much different than it was originally intended to be. A plein could be translated as a 'town square', or a large paved area, such as a schoolyard. However the term has also applied to names of major motorway interchanges like 'Kleinpolderplein' (A13/A20), 'Terbergseplein' (A16/A20) and 'Rottepolderplein' (A9/A200). Some of these have no roundabout features at all.

Penn's Woods liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands