daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > General Photography

General Photography General discussions on photography and non urban photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #2401
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4194

February 4

The Darley House, on Philadelphia Pike at Darley Road in Claymont. The Darley House was the home of Felix Darley, arguably the first great book illustrator in American history. Darley bought the house in 1859 and gave it Gothic Revival details.

Last edited by xzmattzx; February 16th, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 6th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #2402
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

February 5

Summit Bridge, carrying Delaware Route 896 over the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal in Pencader Hundred. Summit Bridge was built in 1959. Delaware lawyers were able to get the Federal government to pay for the bridge, based on technicalities in the law. When the private canal company was chartered in 1801, it was responsible for the provision of bridges for crossing, and the Federal government assumed these responsibilities when it purchased the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal.

Old February 7th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #2403
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

February 6

Another bridge that crosses the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal is the old St. Georges Bridge, in St. Georges. The bridge was built in 1941 to replace an earlier bridge lower to the water, which was rammed by a ship and collapsed. The 135-foot high bridge carries US Route 13 over the canal, and is mostly obsolete due to the William Roth Bridge nearby, sans local St. Georges traffic.

Old February 7th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #2404
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

February 7

Mitchell Hall, on the University of Delaware campus in Newark. The structure was built in 1930, and was a gift from H. Rodney Sharp. The building was named for Samuel Chiles Mitchell, who was president of the University from 1914 to 1920.

Old February 8th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #2405
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

February 8

The Collins-Sharp House, on 2nd Street in Odessa. The house was built in 1700 and was originally located on Cedar Swamp Road near Taylor's Bridge. The house was moved to Odessa in 1962 when an oil refinery was propsed on the house site and the house was slated for demolition.

Old February 10th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #2406
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

February 9

The Cooch House, on Old Baltimore Pike at Cooch's Bridge, in Pencader Hundred. The house was built in 1760, and is at the site of Delaware's only Revolutionary War battle. Lord Charles Cornwallis used the house as his headquarters after the 1777 Battle of Cooch's Bridge.

Old February 11th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #2407
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

February 10

The Georgetown Railroad Station, on Railroad Avenue in Georgetown. The station was built in 1867 for the Junction and Breakwater Railroad, which connected Harrington and the Delaware Railroad to Lewes and the Delaware Bay.

Old February 12th, 2012, 04:06 AM   #2408
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

February 11

Cloud's Row, at 2nd & Delaware Streets in New Castle. The set of rowhouses was built in 1804 and is the state's oldest rowhouse block. The rowhouses were built in a similar manner to rowhouses in Philadelphia, upriver from the town.

Old February 13th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #2409
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

February 12

The old Port Penn Schoolhouse, on Market Street in Port Penn. The school was built in 1886 and operated until 1961.

Old February 13th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #2410
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

February 13

Downtown Wilmington, from Brandywine Mills Park in the Brandywine Village neighborhood.

Old February 14th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #2411
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

February 14

A flower shop on 8th Street in the Woodlawn section of Wilmington.

Old February 15th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #2412
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

February 15

A house on Main Street in Farmington.

Old February 16th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #2413
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 877

I notice that a lot of the photos have American flags in them
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #2414
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

February 16

A house on New Street in Cheswold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
On this page, the Cooch House has an American flag because it was the site of a Revolutionary War battle. The house in Farmington is just coincidence, and a display of personal national pride.
Old February 17th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #2415
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

February 17

A prominent landmark in the Prices Corner area, west of Elsmere, is the Pep Boys' fiberglass figure of Manny, Moe, and Jack. Prices Corner was developed as a commercial area in the 1960s.

Old February 18th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #2416
doctorjef
Delaware Adoptee

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
That doesn't misrepresent the situation either. I don't know if it's particularly unique to Delaware these days, but the display of the flag on private homes has greatly proliferated in recent years. Some people here display the State flag of Delaware instead, or one of the historic versions of the national flag rather than the current official banner. We ourselves display the Grand Union Flag, which was used by authority of the Continental Congress during the last couple of years before the Declaration of Independence. This banner is comprised of the characteristic 13 red and white stripes, with the British Union Flag in the canton. Other people will display the so-called Betsy Ross flag, with a circular pattern of 13 stars in the canton, accompanied by the 13 stripes occupying the larger field.
Old February 19th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #2417
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

February 18

Rowhouses on French Street in Wilmington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
That doesn't misrepresent the situation either. I don't know if it's particularly unique to Delaware these days, but the display of the flag on private homes has greatly proliferated in recent years. Some people here display the State flag of Delaware instead, or one of the historic versions of the national flag rather than the current official banner. We ourselves display the Grand Union Flag, which was used by authority of the Continental Congress during the last couple of years before the Declaration of Independence. This banner is comprised of the characteristic 13 red and white stripes, with the British Union Flag in the canton. Other people will display the so-called Betsy Ross flag, with a circular pattern of 13 stars in the canton, accompanied by the 13 stripes occupying the larger field.
Good to see you on here again! You are correct, the flying of the flag has been extensive, and I too have seen different types. The Betsy Ross flag seems to be a pretty popular one as an alternate to our current flag, and I like your choice of the Grand Union flag as well. The proliferation of the state flag seems to be more popular here in Delaware then in many other states, like Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, or Massachusetts. I wonder if that ties in to state pride, which I hypothesize is greater in Delawarethan in many other states. One strange flag that is pretty popular is the Sussex County flag; I think it reflects downstate pride as much as the state flag displays state pride.
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:08 AM   #2418
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

February 19

Houses on Madison Street in Trinity Vicinity, Wilmington.

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:50 AM   #2419
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

February 20

Houses along Wyatt Street in Bowers Beach.

Old February 21st, 2012, 02:31 PM   #2420
doctorjef
Delaware Adoptee

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
February 18

Rowhouses on French Street in Wilmington.

Good to see you on here again! You are correct, the flying of the flag has been extensive, and I too have seen different types. The Betsy Ross flag seems to be a pretty popular one as an alternate to our current flag, and I like your choice of the Grand Union flag as well. The proliferation of the state flag seems to be more popular here in Delaware then in many other states, like Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, or Massachusetts. I wonder if that ties in to state pride, which I hypothesize is greater in Delawarethan in many other states. One strange flag that is pretty popular is the Sussex County flag; I think it reflects downstate pride as much as the state flag displays state pride.

Oh, I follow this thread continually. Agreed about the Sussex County flag -- of the three counties, Sussex' flag is the only one I recall ever really seeing (at least enough to actually take note of it). I do think the sheaf of grain on the Sussex Co. flag looks awfully much like a bunch of broccoli, however!

Tags
delaware