search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2007, 11:53 AM   #61
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 18183

Great pics, Verso!

I wonder why there are no signs towards austria in Maribor. Only Sentilj, no Graz or something.

Tolls are quite cheap, compared to France, and the future possible tolls in the Netherlands (€ 0,15 per km in congested roads).

But the A1 looks great! Slovenia is a nice small country
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2007, 01:31 PM   #62
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6421

i like the slovenian highways, they're modern and not so full like in germany
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 04:25 PM   #63
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Great pics, Verso!
Thanks. But I still don't use zoom (if I wanted not to get the car's interior), b/c I'm afraid photos would be more blurry, and I don't wanna drive 500 km for nothing. (I also went to the Hungarian border, pix will follow)

Quote:
I wonder why there are no signs towards austria in Maribor. Only Sentilj, no Graz or something.
You're probably having sth like this in mind:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Well, at least there's sign for Austria (A). But IMO Šentilj is a little unnecessary here, it's a village. And I don't know how Lendava (close to Hungary) can be on the sign, but not Murska Sobota, which is much bigger (could be just "M. Sobota"); it's like having a sign for Lisbon in Barcelona, but not for Madrid. (even if Spain and Portugal were in the same country) Btw, Pobrežje is part of Maribor, so it's necessary.

Last edited by Verso; June 30th, 2007 at 05:59 PM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 04:42 PM   #64
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3377

Quote:

there are! they say Gradec for Graz, maybe this is confusing you. look at those direction-confirmation signs, each has Graz!
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 05:36 PM   #65
Verso
Islander

Not in Maribor.
Old March 31st, 2007, 06:22 PM   #66
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Oh, who cares about some stupid arrows...
Feel free to comment ANYTHING! Sorry for being rude, I was a little embarrassed to see this thread at the top of the page, as I only had photos of the Ljubljana ringroad back then.
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:31 PM   #67
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Thanks. But I still don't use zoom (if I wanted not to get the car's interior), b/c I'm afraid photos would be more blurry, and I don't wanna drive 450 km for nothing.
You might experience some with optical zoom. (not digital!)

I use it all the time, actually, i took 213 pics today with optical zoom out of my car, and i have to throw away some 3 of it (because of too much sunlight). I have very rarely blurred pics because of my optical zoom. But then again, it's your choice, i like your pics anyway

you can find my pics here, here and here on the Dutch motorway forum (no Dutch is required in order to download the pics)
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:31 PM   #68
ChrisZwolle
Road user

By the way, are all signs on non-motorways yellow? (like Germany)
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:01 PM   #69
Verso
Islander

Expressways are blue, "ordinary" roads are yellow, and "ordinary" roads in urban areas are white.

Quote:
you can find my pics here, here and here on the Dutch motorway forum (no Dutch is required in order to download the pics)
Nice photos! Were you the driver?

Last edited by Verso; March 31st, 2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:24 PM   #70
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, i drive alone (because i'm living alone) and take the pics while driving. This isn't so hard unless you've got heavy traffic.
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:58 PM   #71
Verso
Islander

You're only 19, and live alone? I'll probably stay by my parents until the age of 30.

Last edited by Verso; June 21st, 2007 at 12:19 AM.
Old April 1st, 2007, 01:49 AM   #72
Verso
Islander

Old April 1st, 2007, 02:19 AM   #73
Verso
Islander

Old April 1st, 2007, 05:46 PM   #74
edolen1
Monkey business

Likes (Received): 6

Lol.. Wonderful pics! One thing though, as far as I understand, the *** toll system will be a closed electronic one - you pay as much as you use, but electronically.
edolen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 07:25 PM   #75
Verso
Islander

You're probably talking about the time between 2008 and 2011 (supposedly), b/c after that we won't need any toll booths any more, as toll's gonna be collected via satellites. But then, how can the system be closed, when now it's open (except on the Ljubljana-Koper motorway)? They won't install n_e_w toll booths on every interchange, or what??
Old April 1st, 2007, 07:40 PM   #76
edolen1
Monkey business

I doubt it, they'll probably just install electronic sensors on all exits and keep the open systems for those not paying electronically.
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:27 PM   #77
snupix

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
You're probably talking about the time between 2008 and 2011 (supposedly), b/c after that we won't need any toll booths any more, as toll's gonna be collected via satellites. But then, how can the system be closed, when now it's open (except on the Ljubljana-Koper motorway)? They won't install n_e_w toll booths on every interchange, or what??
How is that going to work? You'll have to have a GPS antenna in your car so they could see you or what? What about foreign cars?
snupix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:05 PM   #78
Verso
Islander

No idea.
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:46 PM   #79
edolen1
Monkey business

Currently the project is still being planned. However there are many options for the type of electronic toll. One is by GPS/Galileo satellite receivers, another is by upgrading the ABC system and the third is by utilising mobile phones. I don't know if things have changed since, but when I read about it a year or so ago they were talking about that..
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:58 PM   #80
Verso
Islander

The Pomurje Highway (A5, G3)

This highway runs from Pesnica by Maribor to Hungary. Its length is 90 km (56 mi), of which there's currently only 10 km (6 mi) of motorway/freeway (built in 2002/2003 to avoid Murska Sobota) and 80 km (50 mi) of 2-lane road. Its completion is scheduled for the next year. It has an interesting history of traffic intensity. It only became important in 1991, when Slovenia got independent, and it thus became illogical for trucks to drive between Slovenia and Hungary through another country (Croatia), although that's shorter and faster. Before that it was only a regional road. The second boom occured in 2004, when Slovenia, Hungary and some other countries joined the European Union, which increased freight traffic significantly. We encountered the last boom in January 2007, when also Romania and Bulgaria entered the EU. Freight traffic through Serbia and Croatia thus decreased by more than 20 %. That's why this highway is full of trucks, you'll see by yourselves. By the time Croatia joins the EU, there will have been a full motorway connection between the Slovenian and Hungarian capitals (Ljubljana and Budapest). The pictures were taken by me five days ago.

I started at the interchange between H2, A1 and G3, constructed as a roundabout (called Pesnica).
Quote:
We took the first exit, and are now on the G3 (also Corridor V (all the way to the border and beyond)).

Near a village, called Pernica (not Pesnica). On my way back this is where my car reached 190,000 km. (half way to the Moon )

Hrastovec castle. Since 1948 it's hosted a psychiatric clinic.

Hotel Črni les (Black Wood). It used to be a nursing home, but an affair a couple of years ago closed it down.

This (Belarusian) truck was in front of me all the time. It's not easy to overtake here, because of a winding road and heavy on-going traffic, and even if you do so, you'll encounter another truck. My average speed was 40 km/h (25 mph).

This is Slovenia's poorest region?

Church...

There's a very interesting-looking pharmacy by this roundabout, but almost all we can see is my car.

Finally on the A5 motorway/freeway. The speed limit is, surprisingly, only 100 km/h (62 mph).

You thought we were finally on a high-speed road? Think again - what on Earth is going on? I stepped out of the car and figured out that some truckers had occupied the overtaking lane. The traffic jam (caused mostly by trucks) was almost 10 km long. And now we're standing right on the longest Slovenian bridge, over river Mura ("Mur" in German) - 833 m. As you can see by the jogger on the left, the bridge has extra lanes for pedestrians.

"Motorway"...

After we cross the Mura, Prekmurje begins. We passed by a rest area and exit for Murska Sobota, and are now looking at the G3, that is - trucks.

End of motorway in 500 m.

The train Venice - Ljubljana - Budapest runs also through Croatia. But now you're looking at the railway between Ljubljana and Budapest, going directly from Slovenia to Hungary.

They better finish the motorway on time, this is unbearable.

In Odranci.

And the front view:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krpan View Post
In Črenšovci.

By Hotiza. Believe it or not, but we're looking at Croatia.

We're entering the Slovenian-Hungarian-speaking part of Slovenia. Somewhere around here, as we were standing in a traffic jam, a police car came across, and as I was the first one by car after all those trucks, the policeman told me to overtake them right after he and two trucks behing him leave. Ok, he goes on, the two trucks go by, so I start overtaking... and almost crash with another truck! Damn cop!

We've reached the biggest Slovenian-Hungarian-speaking town, Lendava (Lendva) - 3,500 inhabitants. As I can see, despite the fact that Hungary built the M70 expressway almost to the Slovenian border a few years ago, the border crossing there is too small to handle so much freight traffic (motorway will be opened next year), and therefore the main road still goes through Lenti. To avoid all these trucks, cars were at the time being forbidden to turn left (the police were regulating the traffic, but you can't see them, because they are right in front of this truck), so I had to turn right. If one still wants to go to Lenti, (s)he can go through Lendava, instead of via the bypass. But if you just want to go to Hungary (Budapest, for example), there are later signs for Hungary (H), leading to the Hungarian M70 expressway, so that's how it's regulated.

I drove through Lendava and am now joining the Lendava bypass (the G3 again). I'm turning left, because just 1 km ahead there's a border crossing between Slovenia and Hungary, called Dolga vas (Hosszúfalu) / Rédics. From there continues a Hungarian 2-lane road, number 86.

This is how the border crossing looks like.

http://www.kompas-mts.si/fotografija...=dolga-vas.jpg

On the Lendava bypass. As I was prohibited to drive here before, and as there were no cops at the earlier intersection, I sneaked in. As you can see, I'm the only one by car here, everything else is trucks...

...trucks...

...and again - trucks. Welcome to the free market of half a billion people.

But the motorway is under construction...

Now let's go to the border crossing, from where we can reach the Hungarian M70 expressway. We firstly had to drive 100 m on the G109, and then took the R443. On the first picture, instead of the traffic sign, all we can see is my lion's butt.

This short section to the border is inhabited all along.

We're entering the last village before the border - Pince (Pince ). I know we're in a bilingual area, but what's the purpose of writing two identical names?

We've reached the border crossing between Slovenia and Hungary, called Pince/Tornyiszentmiklós. As you can see, it's definitely too small to handle transit freight traffic. Besides, despite being an international border crossing, it's open only between 6 am and 10 pm. In Hungary you continue on a 2-lane road, number 75333, but in just a few kilometers you reach the 2-lane M70 expressway, which soon merges in the M7 motorway/freeway.

Last edited by Verso; July 13th, 2010 at 04:41 PM.

Tags
highways, motorways