search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2017, 06:17 PM   #9421
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

And the discussion is on:

6 lane widening demanded for A7 north of Bordesholm up to Danish border.

https://www.shz.de/regionales/schles...d17814576.html

The Schleswig-Holstein CDU and FDP who are part of the state government, and the oppositional SPD have expressed their demand for a 6 lane motorway from Bordsesholm up to the Danish border. Theres only the problem that AADT is not high enough, there are high peaks with long traffic jams during the summer season though.

Personnally, as a frequent user of this motorway, I believe that this would not be a waste of money. On Saturdays during the summer, traffic is really slow and a lot of traffic jams occur.

It would also increase the attractivity of the connection to Denmark. I drove the E45 to Kolding yeterday, and it was packed with trucks on a regular Thursday. Also here, a 6 lane motorway would absulotely be helpful.

But to be realistic, a wideing of A7 will most probably not happen before 2030.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2017, 06:22 PM   #9422
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 18219

It's probably not high up on the bottleneck list. Maybe they can prepare documentation so that by the late 2020s or so there is plan approval in place to widen the entire A7 up to Flensburg as a PPP contract. Long-distance widening projects are ideal for PPP.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2017, 09:01 PM   #9423
MichiH

Likes (Received): 1941

I think that the A7 AADT - which is really too low right now* - could even increase if the Fehmarnbelt tunnel will ever being built.

*minimum 19,000 vehicles/day at the Danish border; maximum 54,200 b/n AK Rendsburg and AS Rendsburg/Büdelsdorf; 43,100 up to AS Owschlag; rest: 30k-40k.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 04:03 PM   #9424
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A45 Dortmund - Gießen

38 larger bridges along A45 between Dortmund and Gießen have to be demolished due to their poor condition and the need for a six lane expansion.

Today, works officially began on the replacement of two nearby bridges on A45 between Siegen and Wilnsdorf;

* Talbrücke Rälsbach: 161 m long, 26 meters high
* Talbrücke Rinsdorf: 486 m long, 71 meters high

The replacement of the Rinsdorf Bridge in particular is challenging. The current bridge consists of a single superstructure so it cannot be torn down in phases. They will build a new span next to it and then slide it sideways for 20 meters at 70 meters high, which has not been done before in Germany.

The bridge replacement and widening project between Siegen and Wilnsdorf has been budgeted at € 117 million, with € 77 million for the Rinsdorf bridge replacement and € 15 million for the Rälsbach bridge replacement. The new bridges will feature six lanes and shoulders.

Straßen.NRW reports that the Talbrücke Rälsbach replacement will be completed by December 2020. The BMVI press release does not state a completion date for the Talbrücke Rinsdorf, but the Baustelle has been entered into the verkehr.nrw website with a completion date in December 2023.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

g.spinoza, Babenhausen Süd liked this post
Old September 18th, 2017, 09:26 PM   #9425
MattiG

Likes (Received): 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heico-M View Post
The Schleswig-Holstein CDU and FDP who are part of the state government, and the oppositional SPD have expressed their demand for a 6 lane motorway from Bordsesholm up to the Danish border. Theres only the problem that AADT is not high enough, there are high peaks with long traffic jams during the summer season though.
AADT is nonsense as a metric when there is a big seasonal variation.

Let us take a drastics example: The Hardandervidda mountain pass road in Norway. The text is in Norwegian, but the chart is self-explanatory:

It is a popular tourist route, and the traffic volumes in July are almost ten times higher than in January. The AADT matches with the traffic profile of May and October only.

One method to handle this issue is to do capacity planning based on the K factor, for instance on K30 which is the traffic volume of the 30th busiest hour during a year.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 03:14 PM   #9426
Heico-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
AADT is nonsense as a metric when there is a big seasonal variation.

Let us take a drastics example: The Hardandervidda mountain pass road in Norway. The text is in Norwegian, but the chart is self-explanatory:

It is a popular tourist route, and the traffic volumes in July are almost ten times higher than in January. The AADT matches with the traffic profile of May and October only.

One method to handle this issue is to do capacity planning based on the K factor, for instance on K30 which is the traffic volume of the 30th busiest hour during a year.

I do speak Norwegian, coincidentally

Indeed, on the A7 we have these peaks in summer, especially on Saturdays, as the very popular cabins (sommerhuse) in Denmark are usually booked from Saturday to Saturday. If any means of measuring traffic peaks could indicate the demand for 6 lanes, that would make things even easier.
Old September 19th, 2017, 04:18 PM   #9427
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't think A7 has seasonal variations as large as some Norwegian roads, in particular not as a monthly average. I even doubt if there are days where twice as much as the average volume passes on A7.

Weekends may be perceived as much busier than regular, but the overall 24 hour volume may not be that much higher due to the lack of a morning rush hour. The traffic distribution throughout the day is different from regular work days.
Old September 19th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #9428
Nikolaj

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
I do speak Norwegian, coincidentally

Indeed, on the A7 we have these peaks in summer, especially on Saturdays, as the very popular cabins (sommerhuse) in Denmark are usually booked from Saturday to Saturday. If any means of measuring traffic peaks could indicate the demand for 6 lanes, that would make things even easier.
Speaking of peaks i guess A7 from Bordesholm to the Danish border is comparable to E45 on the Danish side (from the German border to Kolding).

On the Danish side winter traffic average is only around 5 % less than the AADT (just north of Aabenraa the average January 2017 traffic was 38.141, and AADT from January-August 2017 the same place was 39.887). At the same spot the average weekday traffic is actually 700 vehicles higher than the all-week average, indicating that average weekend traffic is well below weekday traffic.
Nikolaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 06:30 PM   #9429
MichiH

If A7 north of Hamburg would be considered to have seasonal variations caused by vacationists, A8 from Munich to the Alps would even have seasonal peaks in summer and winter almost every weekend... Well, and A99 Munich bypass... And A9 Nuremberg-Munich... And A3 Frankfurt-Nuremberg too... As well as A7 Ulm-Füssen...

I don't know how much the peak is higher than the average but if anyone is interested, here are the results of the steady Bavarian traffic countings including peak day and peak hour: https://www.baysis.bayern.de/web/con...2-d3bbaceea5f0

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old September 20th, 2017, 11:26 AM   #9430
Heico-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
If A7 north of Hamburg would be considered to have seasonal variations caused by vacationists, A8 from Munich to the Alps would even have seasonal peaks in summer and winter almost every weekend... Well, and A99 Munich bypass... And A9 Nuremberg-Munich... And A3 Frankfurt-Nuremberg too... As well as A7 Ulm-Füssen...

I don't know how much the peak is higher than the average but if anyone is interested, here are the results of the steady Bavarian traffic countings including peak day and peak hour: https://www.baysis.bayern.de/web/con...2-d3bbaceea5f0

The whole region is horrible on weekends. I avoided to go via Munich when I went to Italy this summer, and went via Füssen.
Old September 20th, 2017, 12:34 PM   #9431
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 725

Quote:
The whole region is horrible on weekends. I avoided to go via Munich when I went to Italy this summer, and went via Füssen.
If only they could build the last two tunnels under the Fernpass... (but that's for another topic).

It's so convenient to avoid the whole Munich area.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #9432
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
If only they could build the last two tunnels under the Fernpass... (but that's for another topic).

It's so convenient to avoid the whole Munich area.

I guess if Germany would pay to build a tunnel from Füssen all the way to the A12 in Telfs you might get that..

Otherwise, I think we will not witness a motorway-grade connection through the Ausserfern in our lifetime, and even if the build tunnels to make the national road shorter and faster and less steep, it will remain a bottle neck...
rudiwien está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 01:23 PM   #9433
ChrisZwolle
Road user

This summer had massive congestion across the Fernpass and near Reutte. Not just a few peak days, but almost any weekend had delays of 1 - 2 hours.
Old September 20th, 2017, 02:20 PM   #9434
rudiwien

But it's not only "this summer", this is the situation since a quite long time..
A friend of mine is from that region, and sometimes he goes via the Hahntennjoch-pass (first along the Lech Valley, and then over the pass) to Innsbruck, because otherwise he can't travel on the weekends...
Old September 20th, 2017, 02:36 PM   #9435
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Indeed, it is a long-standing problem, also in the winter.

But recent summers are worse, Asfinag recorded a marked increase in summer traffic on the north-south routes. Car vacations are increasingly popular (despite all the cheap flights you can get). The Karawanken Tunnel recorded a 16% increase over June-July-August, that is really a significant growth in this one year, especially because it is not the Saturday average but a 3-month average.
Old September 20th, 2017, 04:01 PM   #9436
rudiwien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Indeed, it is a long-standing problem, also in the winter.

But recent summers are worse, Asfinag recorded a marked increase in summer traffic on the north-south routes. Car vacations are increasingly popular (despite all the cheap flights you can get). The Karawanken Tunnel recorded a 16% increase over June-July-August, that is really a significant growth in this one year, especially because it is not the Saturday average but a 3-month average.

Indeed, car travel to (summer) holiday destinations is having a resurgence, people here are "rediscovering" Croatia and Italy in favour of more "exotic", but now seemingly not so safe, destinations like Egypt, Turkey, etc..

For travel via plane, there is a trend towards Spain, Portugal, Greece..

darko06 liked this post
Old September 21st, 2017, 07:08 PM   #9437
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A44: AS Heiligenhaus – AS Heiligenhaus-Hetterscheidt 4.9km (April 2010 to October 2017) – projectmap
Announced to be opened in November 2017 now.

http://www.rp-online.de/nrw/staedte/...-aid-1.7074746

Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:04 PM   #9438
Ale92MilanoSpA_

Likes (Received): 7

Driving through Nordrhein-Westfalen (Germany) from Bonn to Köln 31.07.2017 Timelapse x4

Luki_SL, Attus, SRC_100 liked this post
Ale92MilanoSpA_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 03:24 PM   #9439
Ale92MilanoSpA_

Likes (Received): 7

Autobahn 560, Autobahn 3, Autobahn 48, Autobahn 61. From Bonn to Koblenz

Luki_SL, AvB, SRC_100 liked this post
Ale92MilanoSpA_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 06:32 PM   #9440
Wolfgang16

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
I guess if Germany would pay to build a tunnel from Füssen all the way to the A12 in Telfs you might get that..
Why should we pay twice? When the Austrian "Pickerl" started it was said that at least the Tschirgant Tunnel would be paid from that, but nothing happened. Austria (Tirol to be precise) doesn't want this road. My bet is that the Fernpass Tunnel will never be build. That the people in Ausserfern (Reutte and surroundings) have a bad road connection to their capital doesn't play a role. I only regret that building the A7 up to the border was a complete waste of money. A normal road would have been enough.

Wolfgang

belerophon liked this post
Wolfgang16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau