search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 22nd, 2017, 12:05 PM   #9521
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 11455

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It's surprising that no bridge has been built so far.
Yes! Now they want to build (an impressive) one.
Castles and Mansions in Romania

Last edited by Le Clerk; August 22nd, 2017 at 12:15 PM.
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2017, 12:13 PM   #9522
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1044

Videos from Lugoj-Deva, section 4 (provided by the regional road authority Timisoara)

Ecoduct in the area of Bretea Muresana, http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/45.9384/22.7390

Excavation on the hill where they initially found/suspected bats, approximately here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/45.9282/22.8636

(as discussed earlier, seems a really strange choice for building the motorway.. we'll see how that looks in the final configuration..

Finally, near Deva, the Soimus interchange, where the motorway to Sibiu currently starts (ends), i.e. here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/45.9131/22.8795

All done by the same constructor, but due to various stages in when they actually got building permits, the section varies from being almost ready to rather early stage..
No reliable opening dates are given, though the Romania road authority still has "2017" listed as the official opening..

RD-A, roaddor, AlexisMD liked this post
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2017, 02:04 PM   #9523
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 18237

Only two bids for such a large project is unfavorable. It may also be telling that only one European construction company is interested in this project (Astaldi).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

RD-A liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2017, 02:15 PM   #9524
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Its a difficult task. I d rather say it is wise not to go where one is not prepared for. Astaldi and the Japanese should be favourite.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 10:41 AM   #9525
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1903

Thus telling us also that they have a good connection inside romanian authorities.

Still, there is at least one big name missing: Strabag (just as present in romanian market as Astaldi is).
pasadia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 09:20 AM   #9526
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 8722

II. János Pál pápa

SRC_100, Stavros86, roaddor liked this post
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #9527
smokiboy

Likes (Received): 115

Wow, a massive amount of earth works. I like the way they planted greenery on the slopes. Beautiful landscape.
smokiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 12:38 AM   #9528
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 8722

That missing connecting section though...

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 01:00 PM   #9529
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1903

Well, the bidding process is over, we have a winner since June (I think) but they still haven't sign the contract. Nobody can say why. But from that moment construction work will probably take some 8-12 months, so this segment won't be used earlier than late 2018.
pasadia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 07:44 PM   #9530
MichiH

Likes (Received): 1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadia View Post
Well, the bidding process is over, we have a winner since June (I think) but they still haven't sign the contract. Nobody can say why. But from that moment construction work will probably take some 8-12 months, so this segment won't be used earlier than late 2018.
10 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
It appears that the construction of the bridge was finally awarded. It will be built by an Italian company. Contract period is 10 months, starting when the contract will be signed.

http://www.economica.net/tirrena-sca...ui_139924.html
If the contract would be signed "soon" (Sep 17), the works had to be completed by May 2018.

Sure, contract deadlines are often "ignored"... Late 2018... Late 2019... Who knows...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 04:24 AM   #9531
Robertkc

Likes (Received): 18

Interesting article which I'm sure will generate some comments...

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/arti...ays-09-08-2017

Quote:
Romania Seeks World Bank Aid Over Stalled Highways
With numerous highway projects stalled by incompetence and corruption, the government is turning to the World Bank, hoping it can help it get back into gear.
Ana Maria Touma BIRN Bucharest

Romanian Prime Minister Mihai Tudose asked the World Bank last week to help manage a new project for an old idea.

This is the planned highway linking the capital, Bucharest, to the city of Brasov, across the Carpathian Mountains.

The proposed highway has been discussed for years – and has been one of the most hotly debated projects for two decades.

Currently, the road from Bucharest to Brasov is one of the most congested in Romania, with only two lanes operating in mountain areas.

Despite scores of feasibility studies, construction of a proper highway has yet to start.

For a country of its size, Romania is very poorly served in terms of highways.

At the end of 2016, it had only 685 kilometres of them. Tiny Belgium, by contrast, has 1,700 km.

Dozens of projects have stopped, started and stopped again, often due to corruption allegations.

In spring 2016, the management of the Romanian National Company for Highways and National Roads fired 68 managers at the request of the shareholders over the slow execution of highway projects, overpayment of personnel and inefficiency.

Several former members of the company’s management have been investigated for corruption.

Of all 27 European Union states, Romania lost most EU funds from Brussels over the period 2007 to 2013 because it failed to start the planned construction of highways.

According to the EU Commissioner for Regional Development, Corina Cretu – herself a Romanian – who visited Bucharest on Thursday and Friday, Bucharest has missed out on almost 2 billion euros worth of EU funds because of its failed highway projects.

“It’s sad because Romania needs better road infrastructure just like one needs water,” the Commissioner told journalists.

The most advanced current project in Romania, which is set to link the southern Transylvanian city of Sibiu to the southern city of Pitesti, is still only in the feasibility study stage, she noted.

Romania’s National Company for Highways and National Roads in2016 vowed that the country would have over 1,000 kilometers of highways worth by 2026. But that promise is a long way from fulfillment.

The A3:

The largest road infrastructure project in Romania is sent to link the capital, Bucharest, with the border with Hungary.

Designed to be 585 km long, it will cross the Southern Carpathians and Transylvania all the way to Oradea in the west and the Bors border crossing.

In 2005, the project was split into two: one linking Bucharest to Brasov over the Southern Carpathians, and another linking Brasov and Bors, nicknamed the “Transylvania Highway”.

In 2009, the first 42 km of the A3, linking Turda in Transylvania to the region’s main city, Cluj, was opened.

Another 10 km in the same region became operational the following year. In 2012, 56 km of the southern project were opened.

But the rest of the project has stalled due to corruption allegations.

In 2004, the contract for theTransylvania highway, the northern part of the project, went to the US-based Bechtel group.

However, after numerous modifications and renegotiations, the deal with Bechtel was scrapped in 2013.

It turned out that the government had by then paid the company 1.4 billion euros over almost 10 years for only 52 km of useable highway. Another 64 were half-built.

Large portions of the construction site had by then remained unattended for over a year-and-a-half.

The remaining portion of the project was then split into several smaller projects and public tenders, mostly held in 2015-2016 with construction underway in 2017.

The southern part of the highway, running from Ploiești to Brașov, has meanwhile missed several deadlines.

Only the section between Bucharest and Ploiesti is open. Construction for the remaining 58 km has yet to begin.

Prime Minister Tudose has now asked the World Bank to help oversee the project, which has stalled for seven years, after two consortiums failed to raise 1.8 billion euros needed.

The ‘highway of shame’:

The Orastie-Sibiu highway in Southern Transylvania has been equally troubled – even earning the nickname the “highway of shame” in 2016, after the authorities had to inaugurate it twice.

After the state paid over 130 million euros to the Italian company Salini Impregilio for 22 km of highway, it soon had to close it for repairs.

The highway was closed again in mid-2017 because of structural problems at a viaduct that posed a danger to drivers. The road had to be demolished a year after its inauguration.

In the meantime, the National Anti-Corruption Directorate has started investigating the way the Italian company had used the contract funds.

The same company is currently being investigated in Italy for alleged use of poor quality construction materials to build a high-speed railway.

The Mountain Highway:

Meant to link the Transylvanian town of Targu Mures with several cities in eastern Romania over the Eastern Carpathians and the border with Moldova, this is currently in the design phase.

However, Romania’s anti-graft prosecutors in June this year started an investigation into this highway as well.

They have been probing into the way the government road administration agency conducted the tender for the feasibility study.

The investigation comes after Romania’s Court of Audit reported irregularities in the procedure and suspended the contract.

Sibiu-Pitesti highway:

This highway, which should cross the Southern Carpathians over the Olt River Valley, is also under a question mark.

The state-owned highway and road company in June announced a public tender to construct the Sibiu and Pitesti section but the government since broke off the contract with the company in charge of the feasibility study.

The contractor had missed the August 2017 deadline to submit the study and a new tender is yet to be launched.
Robertkc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 07:36 AM   #9532
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

A few incorrect info in that article. Actually quite a few.

For ex, 2 sections of a total of 5 of Sibiu-Pitesti have been tendered for design+built, and we are waiting for results there. For the rest the FS study has been failed by the contractor. It will not be retendered. A national geostudies company will take over the completion of FS and we hope works for the other 3 sections could be tendered soon.

Comarnic-Brasov has been delegated to WB for expertise, except for works on lot 5 which was awarded already. It's unclear to me how the WB can help the project though. I would be interested to learn whether and how the WB managed similar infrastructure projects elsewhere. Maybe some of the experts here can help.

We are waiting soon for winners of tender for works on Craiova-Pitesti expressway, A0 south, and Braila bridge, all in the masterplan and funded under POIM (EU funded great infrastructure).

Last edited by Le Clerk; September 12th, 2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old September 12th, 2017, 10:35 AM   #9533
rudiwien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
A few incorrect info in that article. Actually quite a few.

[..]

Comarnic-Brasov has been delegated to WB for expertise, except for works on lot 5 which was awarded already to Alpine.

[..]

Not Alpine, but Alpenside SRL: http://www.alpenside.ro/
Old September 12th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #9534
MichiH

Likes (Received): 1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutzi View Post
Contract signed!
Source?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 08:05 AM   #9535
Theijs

Likes (Received): 108

[RO] Romania | road infrastructure • autostrăzi şi drumuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertkc View Post
Interesting article which I'm sure will generate some comments...

article Balkan insight about World Bank
Some months ago one of the forum members wrote an analysis of the tender procedure in Romania. One of the ways to solve the issues might be to take that anaylis at heart and change the procedure and related legislation .
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 11:14 PM   #9536
EduardSA

Likes (Received): 689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
... change the procedure and related legislation .
Not sure the legislation is at fault here. I think the issue lies more with the (in)competency of the relevant authorities in the documentation they (poorly) draw up for tenders, and in the implementation and supervision of the projects.
EduardSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #9537
rudiwien

On the lot 4 of A10, from Sebes to Turda (i.e. connecting A1 and A3), where there were hopes/plans to open this lot end of this year, problems appeared with a landslide, approx. in this area:

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.4585.../data=!3m1!1e3

A video made by the Asociația Pro Infrastructură:

and some pictures from members of the association:

There is no conclusive estimation of the severity of the landslide yet.

SRC_100, pasadia, lampsakos21 liked this post
Old September 20th, 2017, 06:05 PM   #9538
sułły

Likes (Received): 69

Meanwhile, on A1 Lugoj-Deva Lot 4 (U/C)

Credits: ciprebbe @ peundemerg

Luki_SL, SRC_100, lampsakos21 liked this post
sułły no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 07:27 PM   #9539
sułły

Likes (Received): 69

SRC_100, roaddor, lampsakos21 liked this post
sułły no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 04:18 PM   #9540
rudiwien

Generally, this lot has some quite impressive roadworks.
However, I am still baffled by the design! (pictures taken from the video posted above)

- I still don't see the design rational for cutting away this hill

And from looking at the pictures, to fit a motorway in there, they still need to cut a lot; the footprint of the national road would be maybe 7 - 8 metres width, to give a scale, so the motorway needs 3-4 times of that.
There might be enough space on the first 100m after crossing the national road, but further on..?

I don't know about the geology in that hill, but i hope there is actually rock underneath, and the steep slope required will be stable..

Not sure if that would actually be feasible, but if you really don't want to tunnel through that hill, I think I would have tried to build a kind of snow-gallery on top of the national road, and on top of that one of the carriageways of the motorway. And then for the other carriageway, one wouldn't have to dig that much into the hill..

- I am also curious about building that close to a major river (Mures):

I would assume that nowadays in Austria, to get environmental approval, this would require a lot of water treatment facilities, to prevent dirt water from the motorway to directly get into the river system. I don't see this happening here.

I would also be curious to see whether they build the embankment in a reinforced way to be more flood-resistant.

--

Btw, just last week, the Romanian transport minister assured that this lot will be finalised this year (2017 !!) (e.g https://www.antena3.ro/actualitate/s...ui-432958.html)

Not sure how much Palinca he must have been drinking before that statement It wasn't the first illusional statement of that kind, though...

Last edited by rudiwien; September 21st, 2017 at 05:37 PM.

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania