daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #61
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20055

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
because you're not from "suspicious" country.
That's true, you can't trust these Croats

Quote:
we must fullfill some imigration forms, that usually takes 15-45 minutes. but it's only for UK. )
For Ireland too, we have a sort of 'mini-schengen' with the Irish Republic, you can travel on boats or planes without a passport and there are no checkpoints on the land border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

Quote:
when we enter Schengen zone, we get the entrance sign (as everybody) and if we change country (by a plane or boat), we they just check if we have entrance sign (the sign is this ink thing that policeman at bordercrossing puts into your passport, i don't know in english )
It's called a stamp.

I was disappointed that I didn't get a stamp when driving from Slovenia to Croatia, the border guards just waved me through with no checks and on returning to Slovenia they looked briefly at my passport but didn't stamp it.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #62
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
That's true, you can't trust these Croats

Quote:
I was disappointed that I didn't get a stamp when driving from Slovenia to Croatia, the border guards just waved me through with no checks and on returning to Slovenia they looked briefly at my passport but didn't stamp it.
that's really weird because Slovenians are really not miserly at all when they have to stamp the passports! in my passport each entrance stamp has its outgoing counterpart, and as much i i've seen, the same situation is with my friends too. maybe in summer when it's really crowded they don't stamp that much, but ink industry like them indeed!
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #63
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2459

Quote:
but when you land by plane or boat, you don't have to pass too complicated border controls.

@KHS: nor Sna Marino, Lithuania and few more countries (7 i guess), but i have never liked to go abroad without passport
Yes, I know I don't have to pass controls.

BTW, is it possible to travel to Croatia from Schengen country only with ID card or do I need a passport?

EDIT: Bonus photo of border crossing Jarovce(SK)/Rajka(H). Look at it carefully beacause it will disppear soon.:
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #64
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Yes, I know I don't have to pass controls.

BTW, is it possible to travel to Croatia from Schengen country only with ID card or do I need a passport?
depends where are you from. EU citizens can enter to Croatia only with personal ID
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #65
KHS

Likes (Received): 922

Quote:
Let me guess... It was probably Saturday in the middle of tourist season.
KHS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #66
Qwert

Quote:
depends where are you from. EU citizens can enter to Croatia only with personal ID
I'm from Slovakia so ID card will be enough.
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #67
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
I'm from Slovakia so ID card will be enough.
web of our Ministry of Foreign Affairs says so
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #68
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20055

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHS View Post
Let me guess... It was probably Saturday in the middle of tourist season.
I don't remember what day it was but it was late September, there was a queue of maybe three or four cars but it wasn't very busy. The crossing was by the coast, near the Secovlje salt pans on the Slovenian side.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #69
x-type
con los terroristas

well, that's weird then they were not in the mood
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #70
Qwert

Quote:
web of our Ministry of Foreign Affairs says so
Last year I've been in Croatia only with ID card. I was wondering if it will be still possible even after joining Schengen. You have excellent highways, only a bit expansive especially on Central Europe circumstances.
Old November 6th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #71
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 18943

Last time i went to Sweden, they stopped me at the border, i think because i have drugs..uh Dutch ( ) plates. They asked me if i was in Sweden before, and if i knew anyone in Sweden, and if the car was mine. They didn't want to see any papers, just some questions.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #72
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Last time i went to Sweden, they stopped me at the border, i think because i have drugs..uh Dutch ( ) plates. They asked me if i was in Sweden before, and if i knew anyone in Sweden, and if the car was mine. They didn't want to see any papers, just some questions.
Yea, customs are a pain-in-the-ass. You never know when/if they appear, sometimes they check all the trains too and other times they sit inside their booths drinking coffee. A trick if you don´t want to be stopped is to open up your window before approaching them, because the officer/s then believe you´ve got nothing to hide since your´e showing a willingness to co-operate
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #73
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Last time i went to Sweden, they stopped me at the border, i think because i have drugs..uh Dutch ( ) plates.
They're only allowed to stop you if they suspect you're smuggling, so that's very likely
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #74
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 18943

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post
They're only allowed to stop you if they suspect you're smuggling, so that's very likely
Yeah, since we are the narcotica state in Europe (and i'm not proud of that), i think they pick Dutch cars faster as German cars.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #75
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

NL = narkolangare = drug dealer
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #76
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Yeah, since we are the narcotica state in Europe (and i'm not proud of that), i think they pick Dutch cars faster as German cars.
Pretty much why the border controls between the US and Mexico are so much stricter than those between Canada and the US, though that has changed in recent years.

Of course, there's other aspects to it as well, but that's not something exactly to be proud of.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #77
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
Pretty much why the border controls between the US and Mexico are so much stricter than those between Canada and the US, though that has changed in recent years.

Of course, there's other aspects to it as well, but that's not something exactly to be proud of.
Yeah, border control is being tightened between Canada and the US. Previously, you wouldn't need a passport to cross. All you needed was a valid ID, like a driver's license (in Canada and the US we don't have identity cards). However, beginning in January 2008, passports will be required to pass between the two countries by land, and passports have already been required for some time to pass by air.
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #78
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

It doesn't feel right - in Europe the borders are being erased while the US-Canada border is being tightened even further.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 02:36 AM   #79
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
It doesn't feel right - in Europe the borders are being erased while the US-Canada border is being tightened even further.
Yep. The increasing supply of high-quality marijuana from British Columbia is one part of it. The other part is that the current administration has gotten so many people freakishly afraid of terrorists from other countries. It's really quite disappointing.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #80
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Yeah, border control is being tightened between Canada and the US. Previously, you wouldn't need a passport to cross. All you needed was a valid ID, like a driver's license (in Canada and the US we don't have identity cards). However, beginning in January 2008, passports will be required to pass between the two countries by land, and passports have already been required for some time to pass by air.
It's pretty stupid, IMO. We are two developed nations. Both being some of the wealthiest in the world, yet we are going backwards in this case. Seems to me we should be making it easier to cross border, especially with the free trade happening.
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways