search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #61
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
Yeah, are the plans being reconsidered due to crisis?
To be honest, I don't know. And nothing in the media appeared that work on these projects has been stoped due to crisis.

Anyway, I've found out that construction of the 1st stage of E22 motorway has started last year and will be finished this year. First they are now reconstructing P5 Ulbroka-Ogre (11,9. - 20,54. km) and P80 Tīnūži-Koknese (0,0. - 5,12. km) sections, so that motorway would be easily accesed from A4.

The construction of the 2nd stage (Tīnūži-Koknese) will begin this summer and will end in 2012 autumn. You can see the motorway location here.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #62
Micrav
Live!

Likes (Received): 16

If politicians would start to be smart in Latvia, think and understand (we even have russians elected deputies who don't even understand Latvian and vote not understanding (seen on Latvian TV Neka Personiga), maybe we have hope that we will have a normal infrastructure. Latvians, you have to learn to fight to keep your country away from greedy and corrupted guys in white collar and tie. Sometimes, it is named:"Vote smart". But I believe the damage has already been done and for long unfortunately... I don't know how these guys can look themselves in a mirror sometimes... Well, lets hope they will change, lets be positive and think positive, if not, we would be as stupid as stones...

I really hope we will have a nice contour around Riga avoiding the water dam and going straight to link Via Baltica around Salaspils.
Micrav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #63
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

good thinking, Micrav, though ypu can't change the whole country's system just that way..
btw, E22 is going to be 2x2, right? because I heard that it's planned to construct a motorway straight to Russian border!
Old February 17th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #64
RipleyLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
btw, E22 is going to be 2x2, right? because I heard that it's planned to construct a motorway straight to Russian border!
E22 motorway is going to be 2x2, but it won't be built straight to Russian border, as far as I know. When this section (Tīnūži - Koknese) will be finished, then they will start building motorway continuation (Koknese - Pļaviņas), so the motorway will end in Pļaviņas.
Old February 21st, 2009, 05:59 PM   #65
RipleyLV

Back to this A5/A10 cloverleaf:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
Overpass renovation works started last year:

Old February 21st, 2009, 11:55 PM   #66
Micrav
Live!

Instead of improving the speed in Ogre (with this new modernization), we are on the same point (70 km/h) with a little bit more security... We barely have a 2x2 like in the good old times in Poland... Now Polish build real "magistrales"... Latvians?

Where are strategic interests? We should have a super magistrale 2x2 (min 120km/h/car 90 km/h/trucks) from Ventspils to Riga to Daugavpils (then Kiev) and from Kaunas to Tallinn. I ask no more, no less for the next 10 years. Those axes are strategic axes of commercial development for Latvia. If you build such infrastructure, you attract investors. If you don't build, you don't attract.

If everything goes well with Russia, Riga-Pleskava-St-Peterburga and Riga-Moscow are of vital interest. Life will go on, we cannot stay behind the rest of Europe because we don't plan and negociate like we should do...

Even if I dont love my neighbour, we share the same roads to go to work!!!
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:40 PM   #67
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

very right! especially due to the fact that all goods exported and imported from Russia to Europe go through territory of Latvia, cos that's the easiest and fastest way to there, we need a real motorway of high class to RUS border!! I mean the one from Riga to Rezekne, Ludza!
Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:42 PM   #68
RipleyLV

Quote:
especially due to the fact that all goods exported and imported from Russia to Europe go through territory of Latvia, cos that's the easiest and fastest way to there, we need a real motorway of high class to RUS border!! I mean the one from Riga to Rezekne, Ludza!
The best would be a motorway from Lithuanian border (Medumi) - Daugavpils - Rēzekne - Kārsava - Russian border (Grebņeva). The main entrance from western Europe to Russia!
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:51 PM   #69
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4692

What about Belarus?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:25 PM   #70
RipleyLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
What about Belarus?
They have very strict border control.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:28 PM   #71
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Russia has that as well
Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:45 PM   #72
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4692

I wasn't really thinking about that. So, just like trucks, going from Hungary to Bulgaria, go through Romania instead of Serbia, trucks here avoid Belarus.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:59 PM   #73
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I wasn't really thinking about that. So, just like trucks, going from Hungary to Bulgaria, go through Romania instead of Serbia, trucks here avoid Belarus.
yep, it is much cheaper and safer to go from Western Europe through Lithuania and Latvia and then to Russia, instead of going from Poland through Belarus to Russia!
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:59 PM   #74
Micrav
Live!

The crazyest thing is that all those trucks going to Russia or Estonia run only on a almost normal 2 lanes highway, meaning that roads are killed in 2-3 years because they cannot stand this load, roads don't even have a beton base, only asphalt. If you make 2x2 lanes, you have more chances to make economies in the long term...
Old February 24th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #75
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1756

If roads are built with good quality then they'll remain in a normal condition for 7 years at least.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #76
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

but that's on the average.. normally, due to much bigger traffic intensity than it is expected, these roads are being killed much faster..
Old February 24th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #77
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
but that's on the average.. normally, due to much bigger traffic intensity than it is expected, these roads are being killed much faster..
The most popular transit road in Estonia - Valga-Tartu-Jõhvi only has around 3000 cars per day so...
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #78
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 18223

Yep, transit is often overestimated. Commuter traffic causes high volumes, not transit traffic.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #79
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Still transit traffic consists mostly of trucks, which do more damage to a road.

Those numbers are indeed often overestimated. Probably because people only see those huge lines of trucks waiting for the Russian border
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #80
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 18223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrav View Post
The crazyest thing is that all those trucks going to Russia or Estonia run only on a almost normal 2 lanes highway, meaning that roads are killed in 2-3 years because they cannot stand this load, roads don't even have a beton base, only asphalt.
You mean they just pave asphalt on the stone/sandbed? They did that in Belgium, and it turned out to be horrible. Big holes appeared and some Belgian motorways were along the worst of Europe, including Poland at that time.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways