daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 2nd, 2014, 11:47 PM   #141
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 164

I'm not francophone but I know enough french to generally understand when I see it written or if someone speaks to me fairly slowly lol. Quite a few people in the southern US have ancestry from here due to the expulsion of the acadians.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 24th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #142
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Likes (Received): 13

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

As 2014 comes to an end, I wish a very happy holiday season to all SDMTS fans wherever they may be on the planet.

Tyger-Wyger

Reste trés bien comme un porc-épic!!!

xXFallenXx liked this post
Tyger-Wyger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 12:40 AM   #143
Nexis
Greetings form New Jersey

Likes (Received): 4551

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< For Cityscapes , Nature , Food , Construction projects around the NYC Metro , and infrastructure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Railroads and Urban Transportation in the Northeastern US
Please use the BBCode! when sharing my Photos on this site or others , it gives a link back to my Photo. It is very easy simple and easy to use.
Copy and Paste the code from the Photo onto the forum.

Tyger-Wyger, dimlys1994, will101 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 06:59 PM   #144
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Thanks for the video! I guess the end must be near for the U2 fleet.

I was in SD in September 2013 and spent a lot of time riding the trams and buses. My first U2 ride was on board 1003, which you've included on here. I got on at 12th & I and got off a station or two later southbound when the unit failed in service. Also rode a number of others of all the types. I also bagged rides in 1013, 2013 and 4013 during the year 2013 plus bus 6013 as well.

I'm a number cruncher so I'd have liked some closer views so I know which ones I was looking at. I especially would like to know the identity of the wrapped unit proclaiming the SDMTS to be the best transit operator in the USA.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old February 6th, 2015, 02:49 AM   #145
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Sometimes I wonder about SDMTS, or at least certain parts of it. This really has to do with non-transport services and I'll give a few examples.

The SDMTS website is great at giving out fares, line folders and timetables, how to get from here to there and a lot of other helpful and practical information. It fails badly at self-promotion. Here are two cases in point.

There's a video two posts above this one that shows a U2 tram riding around in a wrap that says that SDMTS was named the BEST transit system in the USA for 2014. This is a remarkable achievement yet there is NOTHING about it on their website! I'm sure this was in all the local media when it happened but not everyone on the planet or even all of the readers of this forum are in touch with the San Diego media. This really should be on PAGE ONE of their site, no kidding. And it should stay there until the 2015 winner in announced. And it should continue to be mentioned in the future. They had a great accomplishment at the national level but seem to be keeping it mostly a secret.

From time to time I visit their site to get transit directions for friends in SD that need to make a one-time trip from here to there. One of my friends needed to go to the Transit Shop downtown. I easily found info about it on their website including the services they provide, opening hours, their address and their phone number. So far, so good. Then I noticed that something rather important was missing from the page. The Transit Shop's own page did not tell people how to get to the Transit Shop on the SDMTS's own buses and trams! That was exactly how my friend, who doesn't drive, had planned to get there. I had to made a transatlantic phone call to get the information from them. The information was gladly given and then I politely asked why this wasn't on their web page as people might find it very useful to know what bus or tram line and stop they needed for the Transit Shop. I got a stunned silence for a couple of seconds and then I was told that the person helping me would report it to their supervisor. That was six months ago and as of last week nothing has changed.

Same thing for the arrival of trams 4058 to 4065. No news. When I was there in September of 2013 it was known that 4057, the last tram on the current order, was about to be delivered. 4056 had recently arrived but had not yet entered service even though it was visible in the garage from Blue Line trams. Now I've heard (on You Tube, not the SDMTS website), that 4058 to 4065 were ordered and have arrived according to fan videos on You Tube. Same with the demise of the U2 fleet. Nothing more than a sentence or two about them being replaced this year. Nothing about 1018 and 1019 being preserved on a museum line elsewhere in California. Nothing about which U2's have already gone to Mendoza and which ones are expected to be next. Maybe SDMTS thinks this is fan-only stuff but at the same time it's telling their public that they are continuing to replace old equipment with new units that are more comfortable to ride, easier to board and are more efficient. This is also part of public image and it seems to get scant attention. Sooner or later the new extension to the Blue Line will be open up to SDSU and that will require even more new trams, something else they can brag about if they choose to.

Anyone else care to comment on this, especially those in the SDMTS service area?

T-W

Last edited by Tyger-Wyger; March 14th, 2015 at 04:12 AM.
Old February 6th, 2015, 08:32 AM   #146
bighomey3000

Likes (Received): 24

Obama's proposed budget provides $150m for the Mid Coast Corridor trolley line. Construction expected late this year

dimlys1994, Tyger-Wyger, Protteus, will101 liked this post
bighomey3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #147
Nexis

remove

< For Cityscapes , Nature , Food , Construction projects around the NYC Metro , and infrastructure

Please use the BBCode! when sharing my Photos on this site or others , it gives a link back to my Photo. It is very easy simple and easy to use.

dimlys1994, redspork02 liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; March 15th, 2015 at 04:08 AM.
Old March 13th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #148
redspork02
Seems itnever rainsnSoCal

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Great Video man but this is not San Diego......but Los Angeles, CA.

LETS GO DODGERs!!!!!

Tyger-Wyger, geometarkv liked this post
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 09:00 PM   #149
Nexis

Oh , my mistake..

Tags
san diego, us light rail