daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Sporting Infrastructure and Events > The Touchline

The Touchline Sports

Old September 14th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #1
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 63

2010 FIFA World Cup advice on accomodation, transport, safety etc

Ke nako! It's Africa's time

Guys and ladies, in here you can ask questions about coming to South Africa for the 2010 FIFA World Cup and we will try by all means to advice and provide as much info as we can. The best thing from us would be to provide you with websites as references in regards to accomodation, entertainment centres and transports. Photos can also be posted.

Last edited by Pule; September 14th, 2009 at 08:32 AM.
Pule no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 14th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #2
TEBC

Likes (Received): 2299

perfect thread!! nice job Pule!! It will help me a lot!! thanks
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #3
SharksBoy
Good Luck South Africa!

Likes (Received): 0

for anybody who visiting Durban, visit http://fifaworldcup.durban.gov.za/Pages/Default.aspx
SharksBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #4
hngcm

Likes (Received): 1

Where can I find some cheap flights?
hngcm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #5
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

I think it would be wise to check flights to the likes of Tanzania or Angola and then flight into South Africa from there or even fly into countries like Lesotho, Swaziland, Namibia so that you can then bus from there. I have learnt that flights to South Africa during that period are rediculous. May be other forumers who are well informed about issues relating to Aviation can advice you.
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #6
TEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pule View Post
I think it would be wise to check flights to the likes of Tanzania or Angola and then flight into South Africa from there or even fly into countries like Lesotho, Swaziland, Namibia so that you can then bus from there. I have learnt that flights to South Africa during that period are rediculous. May be other forumers who are well informed about issues relating to Aviation can advice you.
Im having such a hard tme to book my flights!! Brazil only have SAA flights SP-JNB but they are all fullandf the tickets now are U$2.000 The chepeast i could found was Iberia Sp-Madrid-JNB.

Last edited by TEBC; September 18th, 2009 at 06:00 AM.
TEBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #7
TEBC

BTW, I still cant decide about JNB accomodation. Everywhere looks so far awayfrom Soccer City.

Last edited by TEBC; September 18th, 2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #8
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
BTW, I still cant decide about JNB accomodation. Everwhere looks so far awayfrom Soccer City.
stay in soweto. some nice places there for good prices.

or just camp out at nasrec with the rest of the journalists/media.

Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #9
TEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
stay in soweto. some nice places there for good prices.

or just camp out at nasrec with the rest of the journalists/media.
I thought about it. But Im a little worry. I know is a dumb question because I live in Brazil and hate when people sometimes thinks here is the most dangerous place on earth, but is Soweto safe? I know nothing about it, sorry for my ignorance. It is just because is very difficult for a foreigner who never been in a place knows the best things. By GE I tought the best place would be in Southdale looks a nice place, close to SC, to the Gold Reef and to Apartheid Museum.

Hillbrow is really dangerous? Are there any place in the center that is good? Will Gautrain be ready for WC2010? It is ok to use Metrorail in CT, Durban and Jozi? How is the best way to get to Petroria/Tshwane thru Jozi?

Last edited by TEBC; September 18th, 2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #10
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 264

Quote:
Hillbrow is really dangerous? Are there any place in the center that is good? Will Gautrain be ready for WC2010? It is ok to use Metrorail in CT, Durban and Jozi? How is the best way to get to Petroria/Tshwane thru Jozi?
Hillbrow is still dangerous, I wouldn't advise it yet. Although, there are many upgraded and improved city centre areas in central Joburg... Pule can tell you much more about that.

CT will depend on where you stay. The majority of all accommodation in Cape Town is almost within walking distance or a short bus-hop away from everything, like the stadium, fan-parks, restaurants, shopping, Waterfront, city centre and nightlife. However, if further out, our phase 1 of the BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) system will be up and running then, and like Jo'burg's version, will be upmarket, safe and reliable.

CT's Metrorail and main stations are getting major overhauls. Some routes are a little suspect, like eastern and south-eastern lines. The Simonstown line is pretty touristy, safe and quite reliable. But, I'd say things are rapidly getting much better, not worse.
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #11
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Where can I find some cheap flights?
Not sure about international flights but once you are in SA, domestically its best to check with tour operators on your end first, because you guys will get first preference, other wise keep checking these sites

www.flymango.com
www.1time.co.za
www.kulula.com

The flight schedules havent been released yet but keep checking

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #12
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Quote:
Originally Posted by annman View Post
Hillbrow is still dangerous, I wouldn't advise it yet. Although, there are many upgraded and improved city centre areas in central Joburg... Pule can tell you much more about that.
I really wouldn't advice Hillbrow for now but more like Braamfontein and the core CBD are the best place that you can safely enjoy your time here in Jozi. In terms of transport you will be spoiled for choice at that time.
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #13
GregPz
Explore

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Im having such a hard tme to book my flights!! Brazil only have SAA flights SP-JNB but they are all fullandf the tickets now are U$2.000 The chepeast i could found was Iberia Sp-Madrid-JNB.
You could try Malaysia Airlines or SAA via Buenos Aires. But I'm sure there'll be a lot of charter flights from Brazil so you may get a better deal with them.
Old September 18th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #14
TEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregPz View Post
You could try Malaysia Airlines or SAA via Buenos Aires. But I'm sure there'll be a lot of charter flights from Brazil so you may get a better deal with them.
yes, i thought about SAA via BA but is more expensive because i still have to fly to argentina, and some of their flights are BA-SP-JNB.

I will look for Malaysia, thanks.

About the charter flights, they are only for the official travel agencies, no? i dont know, i will try to find something.
Old September 18th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #15
TEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pule View Post
I really wouldn't advice Hillbrow for now but more like Braamfontein and the core CBD are the best place that you can safely enjoy your time here in Jozi. In terms of transport you will be spoiled for choice at that time.
Thanks Pule

Quote:
Originally Posted by annman View Post

CT will depend on where you stay. The majority of all accommodation in Cape Town is almost within walking distance or a short bus-hop away from everything, like the stadium, fan-parks, restaurants, shopping, Waterfront, city centre and nightlife. However, if further out, our phase 1 of the BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) system will be up and running then, and like Jo'burg's version, will be upmarket, safe and reliable.

CT's Metrorail and main stations are getting major overhauls. Some routes are a little suspect, like eastern and south-eastern lines. The Simonstown line is pretty touristy, safe and quite reliable. But, I'd say things are rapidly getting much better, not worse.
CT Im ok, im in an important and touristic street. Thanks for all the information.
Old September 19th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #16
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 211

i think it may be better to wait on the flights side, as many many extra flights and charters will be added and you could get better prices than currently available
Old September 20th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #17
Andrew_za

Likes (Received): 134

Cape Town 'not out-pricing itself'

Cape Town Tourism has denied that accommodation and other rates are being pushed up ahead of the 2010 FIFA World CupTM, saying instead that prices in Cape Town are well balanced and equivalent to normal peak rates.

This follows recent British media reports which suggested that South Africa is out-pricing itself ahead of the tournament.

According to Cape Town Tourism, such reports are based on a skewed perspective of the city's broader tourism offering. There are high-end luxury accommodation options which are expensive, but there are also many budget accommodation options available.

"On the whole, Cape Town's pricing strategy is well balanced for the duration of the 2010 FIFA World CupTM," says Cape Town Tourism CEO Mariette du Toit-Hembold.

"The majority of the local industry comprises responsible operators that realise a value-for-money return on any holiday investment is essential to ensuring that the destination is not labelled 'greedy' now or after the event."

Most accommodation establishments in Cape Town are posting rates for the World Cup that are equivalent to their peak season rates, and have received a favourable response, with many of them already fully booked, she said.

Average costs for a night in a centrally located guesthouse are in the region of R500 to R800, while a self-catering apartment or cottage can cost from R200 to R500 a night.
An award-winning four-star hotel can cost from R1 900 to R2 400 for a room and a five-star hotel can be up to R5 000 per person per night sharing.

Most hotels are selling their rooms through FIFA's official accommodation provider, MATCH, which requires that rates are no more than 16% higher than those charged in the summer of 2007.
However, some accommodation establishments have not signed up with MATCH, or do not meet its requirements, and therefore are not bound by these stipulations.

Du Toit-Hembold urged visitors to be cautious of any accommodation establishments or tourism operators that are not accredited, and suggested they check these with Cape Town Tourism.

"We are intent on using the great marketing opportunity that the 2010 FIFA World CupTM affords us, to showcase the destination as a place to which you want to return. High prices and a lack of good service will not reflect well on us and we are focusing all our energy on ensuring that not only our infrastructure, but also our mindset, is on target and ready to welcome the world," she said.

To book accommodation, transfers, car hire or tours, visit www.capetown.travel/2010 or phone +27 (21) 487 6800.
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:03 AM   #18
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 29

cross post from Juzzy's in the Aviation thread, just check Kulula's website they got some flight details out, but for the day I want Durban - Cape Town ONE WAY R1399!!!! WTF

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:02 PM   #19
Leftfoot
Space Cadet camera crew

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbsboi View Post
but for the day I want Durban - Cape Town ONE WAY R1399!!!! WTF
...GEES!!!!...and so the RIP off begins!
Leftfoot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:44 PM   #20
cairngorm

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbsboi View Post
cross post from Juzzy's in the Aviation thread, just check Kulula's website they got some flight details out, but for the day I want Durban - Cape Town ONE WAY R1399!!!! WTF

Yes, my flight from Lanseria to Durban is R1199 up from the usual R499.

I've posted this elsewhere but with no answer yet, I arrive from London at 08:30 (O R Tambo) and fly to Durban from Lanseria at 11:20.

How long will it take to tranfer via taxi and can you book a taxi transfer online?
cairngorm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifa, football, south africa, world cup