daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » completed | under construction | proposed | demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 24th, 2014, 01:23 AM   #3101
Lakeland

Likes (Received): 10784

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
Michigan....Michigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, Michigan Attendance: 101,717..ahem..this figure has to be tickets distributed.
Quote:
According to the public address announcer, 101,717 watched the University of Michigan lose its final home game of the year to the Maryland Terrapins 23-16 Saturday night at the Big House.

There were large sections of empty seats throughout the game, but the school's record of 258 straight games with at least 100,000 people in attendance will live on until next season.
The 100,000 streak is such an obvious sham at this point. I can honestly say it will definitely end next year even with counting tickets sold. Season ticket holders got their PSL's last week and are waiting to see who the new coach will be. Unless they hire a big name like Harbaugh, the athletic department will be in the red next year.

From around the Big 10 yesterday:

Maryland at Michigan

https://twitter.com/chengelis/status/536251499169714177

Indiana at Ohio State

https://twitter.com/AWardESPN/status...289408/photo/1

Penn State at Illinois

https://twitter.com/JP_UIRivals/stat...979136/photo/1

Rutgers at Michigan State

https://twitter.com/joerexrode/statu...99909977112577

Northwestern at Purdue

https://twitter.com/CEmma670/status/...787008/photo/1

Nebraska and Iowa were the only places that looked full. Good luck fixing these attendance problems with HDTV's and fans not caring like they used to.
Lakeland no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 24th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #3102
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 1160

That photos of The Ohio State University is a mis-representation.. Here 's a photo taken during the game not before of after.

Quote:
CHRIS RUSSELL | DISPATCH
Jalin Marshall returns a punt 54 yards for a touchdown to help give Ohio State the lead for good with 2:20 remaining in the third quarter.
I'm sure I can find other photos but I do not have the time nor the will at this moment.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 07:00 AM   #3103
eric the midget

Likes (Received): 4

Yeah none of those pictures are during the actual game.
eric the midget no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 07:11 AM   #3104
Zack Fair
Yavin 4

Likes (Received): 546

That picture of Michigan Stadium was taken a half our before kickoff.
Zack Fair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 04:23 PM   #3105
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 605

Wow, even Oregon struggling at the gate!
Old November 24th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #3106
Otto Racecar

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
That photos of The Ohio State University is a mis-representation.. Here 's a photo taken during the game not before of after.

I'm sure I can find other photos but I do not have the time nor the will at this moment.
Columbus had portions of I-71, 70,670,23,315, and 270 (outerbelt) shut down in the morning hours due to freezing rain that caused many accidents. Luckily the temperature rose before kickoff. The fans at ohio stadium were late arriving but definitely were there. If you click on the link for your picture you can read that it was a pregame pic as well.

bd popeye liked this post
Otto Racecar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #3107
Otto Racecar

bd popeye, MeGuzula liked this post
Old November 24th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #3108
bd popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Racecar View Post
Columbus had portions of I-71, 70,670,23,315, and 270 (outerbelt) shut down in the morning hours due to freezing rain that caused many accidents. Luckily the temperature rose before kickoff. The fans at ohio stadium were late arriving but definitely were there. If you click on the link for your picture you can read that it was a pregame pic as well.
Thank you.

The Ohio University has many fans..including myself. I really don't want anyone trying to bamboozle the uninformed casual observer.

I yam what I yam!
Old November 24th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #3109
Lakeland

Quote:
Thank you.

The Ohio University has many fans..including myself. I really don't want anyone trying to bamboozle the uninformed casual observer.
I wasn't trying to do that, if you clicked on the twitter links it obviously states the photos were minutes before kickoff. The fact still remains that none of those games were sellouts.

Old November 24th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #3110
ChesterCopperpot

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Fair View Post
That picture of Michigan Stadium was taken a half our before kickoff.
ChesterCopperpot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #3111
Otto Racecar

Both michigan and ohio st had over 101,000 attendance which many other marquee college programs couldn't even fathom. This is in direct relation to conditions in columbus which left people sitting on highways for hours and a michigan program that has completely self destructed.Furthermore michigan plays in a stadium that packs in 115,000 so even if 101,000 is actual attendance there are going to be 14,000 empty seats. Michigan St. still had over 70,000 and both nebraska and iowa where sellouts or close to. So really we're talking about poor attendance for purdue and illinois who are the doormats of the conference.

Meanwhile,ohio state is leading the NCAA in attendance surpassing michigan's 16 year streak. I think everything will be ok.

Last edited by Otto Racecar; November 24th, 2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old November 24th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #3112
Lakeland

The point I was trying to make was that ten years ago I don't remember seeing this many empty seats(especially the growing number of empty seats in student sections) in Big 10 stadiums. The ticket values have also been plummeting this entire year.

Starting ticket prices on StubHub:
Maryland at Michigan: $7.25
Rutgers at MSU: $3.26
Minnesota at Nebraska: $15.87
Indiana at Ohio State: $19.80
Northwestern at Purdue: $5.15
PSU at Illinois: $3.70
Iowa at Wisconsin: $52.00

Even the best of the bunch, the storied Iowa-Wisconsin rivalry with both teams in contention in the West, was selling on the medium-cheap, where $52 would have seemed like a good deal for a game just few years ago. I think the Big 10 is an early warning of a trend that will increase around college football. Younger fans have other entertainment options and fewer people are willing to shell out the big bucks for season tickets, not to mention PSL's. Also, when you're playing schools you couldn't care less about (Rutgers and Maryland), at games that are increasingly long and drawn out by TV timeouts... I share the fans frustration.
Old November 24th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #3113
Lakeland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Racecar View Post
That explains a lot. OSU is the only school left that has hardcore SEC style fans in the Big Ten. Nebraska fans from what I've read are missing their old Big 12 rivalries. They are also not happy about being in the western division and not playing the big three(OSU, UM and PSU) on a regular basis. Just another reason why I can't stand realignment. Thanks a lot Jim Delany, Big Ten Network, Texas and the stupid Longhorn Network.
Old November 24th, 2014, 11:15 PM   #3114
Otto Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland View Post
The point I was trying to make was that ten years ago I don't remember seeing this many empty seats(especially the growing number of empty seats in student sections) in Big 10 stadiums. The ticket values have also been plummeting this entire year.

Starting ticket prices on StubHub:
Maryland at Michigan: $7.25
Rutgers at MSU: $3.26
Minnesota at Nebraska: $15.87
Indiana at Ohio State: $19.80
Northwestern at Purdue: $5.15
PSU at Illinois: $3.70
Iowa at Wisconsin: $52.00

Even the best of the bunch, the storied Iowa-Wisconsin rivalry with both teams in contention in the West, was selling on the medium-cheap, where $52 would have seemed like a good deal for a game just few years ago. I think the Big 10 is an early warning of a trend that will increase around college football. Younger fans have other entertainment options and fewer people are willing to shell out the big bucks for season tickets, not to mention PSL's. Also, when you're playing schools you couldn't care less about (Rutgers and Maryland), at games that are increasingly long and drawn out by TV timeouts... I share the fans frustration.
I don't disagree. The big ten has its issues and certainly higher ticket prices, increased options for fans to watch the game or do other things, and the weather situation during this time of year don't help. Michigan's current **** show of a situation and penn state's sanctions have not helped. Illinois,northwestern,indiana, and purdue have had poor year(s) that have really hurt them at the gate. Each one of the programs really has to be competitive in order to get the fan interest back.

Lakeland liked this post
Old November 25th, 2014, 05:49 AM   #3115
bd popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland View Post
That explains a lot. OSU is the only school left that has hardcore SEC style fans in the Big Ten. Nebraska fans from what I've read are missing their old Big 12 rivalries.
Nebraska fans still sell the joint out...

As for Iowa.. I live in eastern Iowa. Iowa football and basketball are big time sports here.

Bottom line for the Big 10 is what Otto Racecar stated;

Quote:
Illinois,northwestern,indiana, and purdue have had poor year(s) that have really hurt them at the gate. Each one of the programs really has to be competitive in order to get the fan interest back
the Illini football actual fannies in the seats attendance is an embarrassment.

I yam what I yam!