SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Diaľnice / Motorways

6M views 23K replies 600 participants last post by  papluh 
#1 · (Edited)
Stará niť o slovenských diaľniciach je stále na Východoeurópskom fóre a vyzerá to, že nebude presunutá. Rozhodol som sa teda vytvoriť novú niť o slovenských diaľniciach tu.
The old thread is still in Eastern Europe forum and it seems it won't be moved. This is new one:).

Zaujímavé stránky:
Interesting sites:
www.ndsas.sk
www.highways.sk
www.dialnice.info

Thread [SK] Slovak Highways | Slovenské diaľnice in section Highways & Autobahns.

Súčasný stav siete diaľníc a rýchlostých ciest:
Current status of motorway and expressway network:

Some terminology:
D (0-4)- highway (from word "Diaľnica")
R (1-7)- expressway (from words "Rýchlostná cesta")

Diaľnice:
Motorways:

D1
- the longest motorway in Slovakia - 503 kilometres
- starts in Bratislava at interchange with D2 and will end at Ukrainian border near Užhorod
- connects Bratislava with the the most industrialised region Považie, with Poprad and High Tatras, the second biggest Slovakian city - Košice, Ukrainian border and Ukrainian cities L'viv and Kyiv
- very important for Slovakia because it is something like the backbone of the country
- it has almost the same routing as the main railway corridor in Slovakia
- still under construction
- officials are planning widening on six lanes between Bratislava and Trnava.
- a lot of tunnels will be built especially in north-central Slovakia

D1 map:

D2
- this is the first finished motorway in Slovakia
- starts at the border with Czech republic and ends in Bratislava - Čunovo at Hungarian border - 80 kilometres long
- connects Bratislava with Prague and Budapest and Budapest with Prague as well
- very important for international transport

D2 map:

D3
- starts at interchange with D1 near Hričovské Podhradie and ends at Polish border near Skalité - 59 km
- will connect D1 (thus Bratislava and Žilina) with Poland - Katowice and Czech Republic - Ostrava thnaks to a short expressway R5 near Svrčinovec
- important because of new automotive industry near Žilina and Ostrava
- now under construction, some parts in half profile (2x1) but officials want to build it in full profile in cooperation with Czech republic and connect Žilina and Ostrava by regular motorway and expressway

D3 map:

D4 or D0
- proposed highway, now there is only 3 km long section between Austrian border in Bratislava - Jarovce and D2
- it starts at Austrian border near Bratislava - Jarovce, then it will continue via the sixth bridge over Danube in Bratislava 2 shorter tunnels and one about 9 km long tunnel under Malé Karpaty mountains north of the capital, it will end again at Austrian where it will join expressway S8
- this motorway will cross D2, R7, R1, D1, and again D2
- it will be the outer ring of the city
- cost of this project is about € 2 billion (including the bridge and the tunnel)

I have borrowed picture posted by Timoth12:

Maps are from www.ndsas.sk and www.highways.sk

I will do the same with expressways, I hope this week.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good, Qwert. What is maybe interesting is the fact, that highways and expressways are constructed in parts there, where it is needed and the traffic volume is the highest, in many other countries are longer parts built simultaneously, in Slovakia there are the parts from 3 km /Bratislava D2 and Skalité D3/ up to 26 km D1 Poprad bypass, even this bypass was divided into three parts.
The highest traffic volume is obviously the case of D1 and also R1.

#4 ·
Timoth12 said:
Good, Qwert. What is maybe interesting is the fact, that highways and expressways are constructed in parts there, where it is needed and the traffic volume is the highest, in many other countries are longer parts built simultaneously, in Slovakia there are the parts from 3 km /Bratislava D2 and Skalité D3/ up to 26 km D1 Poprad bypass, even this bypass was divided into three parts.
The highest traffic volume is obviously the case of D1 and also R1.
Yes, I think it's better way because they build firstly some bypasses of the busiest roads in towns and vilages (e.g. Tornaľa, Čadca) and then they connect the bypasses in one highway. It's better for local people and also for the traffic which can go faster and avoid dangerous situations in towns and villages.
D1 is certainly the busiest highway in Slovakia and I think it's neccesary to wide it on six lanes between Bratislava and Trnava. You probably remember the tragic collision in last december days 2005 and you know the traffic jams on Mondays and Fridays. Helpful in this situation could be the expressway R7 beacause thousands of cars will use this way to get to Košice.

#6 ·
Qwert said:
Yes, I think it's better way because they build firstly some bypasses of the busiest roads in towns and vilages (e.g. Tornaľa, Čadca) and then they connect the bypasses in one highway. It's better for local people and also for the traffic which can go faster and avoid dangerous situations in towns and villages.
D1 is certainly the busiest highway in Slovakia and I think it's neccesary to wide it on six lanes between Bratislava and Trnava. You probably remember the tragic collision in last december days 2005 and you know the traffic jams on Mondays and Fridays. Helpful in this situation could be the expressway R7 beacause thousands of cars will use this way to get to Košice.
For the locals in definitely better, I agree. For the transit drivers it is more comfortable, however, entering and leaving the highway parts might be less pleasing. One American investor, who was interested in Presov industrial park mentioned: The highway (D1) was fine, but I have had to enter and leave the highway during all the time during my business trip /He drove from Bratislava/. I think his opinion described the present situation very well.
Six lanes between Bratislava and Trnava is a real possibility after 2010 I suppose. And do you really think, that R7 would be a solution to the traffic east-west in Slovakia? D1 and R1+R2 will solve the traffic problems quite well, constructing the third west-east connection would be a bit exaggeration.

Nevrtheless, I am curious, how the situation about tunnel Visnove construction start wil look like. During the past goverment this section was purposed for PPP model and the new goverment, although did not exclude the possibillity of PPP, this sees as one of the solutions.

#7 ·
^^I've heard the R7 should be built not like expressway but highway because it's in flat land and the prize there is almost the same. I think it could help because now if you want to drive to Košice you have two possibilities - D1 or R1 but in both cases you must use part of D1 between Bratislava and Trnava. After R7 or maybe D5 will be built there will be three ways how to get to Kosice and the R7/D5 will be the shortest.

#8 ·
Those are just rumours. Many opinions are in respect to highways and expressway planning, but more important is I think to construct and speed up the approval process. By the way, you are only partially right. Flat land is only between Dunajská Streda and maybe 30 km behind Nové Zámky. Especially by crossing Ipeľ river it is mountaneous land as well with the hilly terrain, D1 and R1 are passing along river valleys, so it is mostly easier to construct the highways and new railway connections there. Also amount of traffic in this route is just such low, that now it could be a waste of money for going into the more detailed planning and construction. Sure, between Bratislava and Košice it is the shortest route, but the priorities are clear: D1, R1, D3, bypasses on R2. Most of other routes have to wait after 2010.

#9 ·
Timoth12 said:
Those are just rumours. Many opinions are in respect to highways and expressway planning, but more important is I think to construct and speed up the approval process. By the way, you are only partially right. Flat land is only between Dunajská Streda and maybe 30 km behind Nové Zámky. Especially by crossing Ipeľ river it is mountaneous land as well with the hilly terrain, D1 and R1 are passing along river valleys, so it is mostly easier to construct the highways and new railway connections there. Also amount of traffic in this route is just such low, that now it could be a waste of money for going into the more detailed planning and construction. Sure, between Bratislava and Košice it is the shortest route, but the priorities are clear: D1, R1, D3, bypasses on R2. Most of other routes have to wait after 2010.
Priorities are D1, D3, R1, R2 and R4 between Košice and Hungarian border. They are prioritis because there is, or in short time will be, very heavy traffic.
You are right the traffic in south Slovakia is not as dense as in north but the reason is there is no highway, I am sure if there will be highway the traffic dense will rapidly rise - it will be the shortest way to Košice and the highway will start economic boom in this quite poor region. Building highway is the best way how this region can grow fast. Despite this the construction will certainly start after 2010 but likely more later.

#10 ·
I've forgotten - the land is flat from Bratislava to river Hron between Hron and Lučenec it's a bit hilly but less than land near D3 or D1. From Lučenec to villages Čoltovo or Gemerská Hôrka it's again flat. Between these villages and village Hrhov it's hilly and from Hrhov to Košice it's flat - the difference between the prize of highway and expresway is minimal. I've written it from Bratislava to Košice because if R7 will be highway R2 from Lučenec to Košice will be highway as well.

#12 ·
Pictures from D1 section Ladce-Sverepec /opened in December/. The section has 40 bridges, 10 of them are on the multi-level crossing Beluša /interchange with R6 - another future expressway connection with CZ/:

480 m bridge near motocross areal near Sverepec:

902m bridge Pružinka:

Some more pictures:

Coming from the Trenčín, in the back multi-level crossing Beluša:

315 m bridge Sverepec, height 32m:

And the panoramatic picture near motocross areal in Sverepec, including rest area: :cheers:

#13 ·
Wow!! the Slovak highway net is increasing very fast!! But, when will be completed the R2?? Or it will be faster going through D1 crossing Zilina, Poprad and Presov?? I travelled this winter from Bratislava to Kosice (across Zvolen) and we took more than 5h!! What road, my God! Extremely dangerous! Somebody told me that it's known as "The road of Die" or something like that!

Nice photos, specially this one:
Timoth12 said:
See you

#14 ·
zahorra said:
Wow!! the Slovak highway net is increasing very fast!! But, when will be completed the R2?? Or it will be faster going through D1 crossing Zilina, Poprad and Presov?? I travelled this winter from Bratislava to Kosice (across Zvolen) and we took more than 5h!! What road, my God! Extremely dangerous! Somebody told me that it's known as "The road of Die" or something like that!

Nice photos, specially this one:

See you
Slovak highway newtrok is not increasing that fast, as it could. Well, this year about 50 km of new highways and expressways should be put into the operation. R2 will be completed around 2020, for Košice connection it is better to take D1, especially after this year and upcoming years new openings.

And I don´t know, where you got the information about the road between Bratislava, Zvolen and Košice. Sorry, but I have s trange feelingfs from your posts. Slovak roads are not perfect, but are generally in good condition.

Between Bratislava and Zvolen /180 km/ is 123 km in operation, 10 km in construction and the rest in preparation. Between Zvolen and Košice is the Ist class road, wide and comfortable enough to bring a traffic amount on this section. But even given that fact, the expressway bypasses are constructed.

And sorry, I won´t answer your posts, not from the ignorance, but from giving the strange and misleading information.

#15 ·
zahorra said:

See you
The road between Nitra and Zlaté Moravce is called the road of die - last accident was ther two days ago and there are accidents every week.
All R1 expressway including the part between Nitra and Zlaté Moravce will be ended in 3 years so the first half of south connection of Bratislava and Košice will be finished. On R2 are currently U/C bypasses of Tornaľa and Ožďany. When the whole R2 will be finished I don't know. I think if you travel from Bratislava to Košice it's better to use D1 but be careful especialy when driving through Považská Bystrica - there is missing part of highway because of some stupid local inhabitants and you must drive through the town where could be a traffic jam. The quality of the roads between the parts of highway is better than in south Slovakia.
I enclose some pictures of R2:
Tornaľa bypass:

bridge over the river Slaná:

and one funny - dead end:

Ožďany bypass:

#16 ·
Regarding the road between Nitra and Zlate Moravce, we have had this discussion on www.dialnice.info, well, near the Poprad for example,are more accidents, than in this section near Zlate Moravce. I think noone doubts the necessity of R1 expressway/highway connection, but the priorities are stated and just cannot be changed every year, or by the change of the goverment. D1 clearly joints all most important regions, connects two most important cities, then industrial zones and touristic areas.

#17 ·
For D1 is the continuation of the section Ladce-Sverepc the town Považská Bystrica. Highway bypass is in final approval and the construction should start end of 2006/beginning of 2007.
Then is a section Vrtižer-Hričovské Podhradie U/C, handover scheduled on November this year.Photos from www.highways.sk, taken throughout the year 2006:

Crossing Bytča:

Then crossing the river Váh:

and continuing on the river bank:

again crossing the river:

And running directing valley:

nearing to Bytča:

and the crossing Bytča:

Continuing further north:

And again in the near of river:

But not always:

Just between the near of railway track and the river.

And to the crossing D1 and D3:

#18 ·
Timoth12 said:
Regarding the road between Nitra and Zlate Moravce, we have had this discussion on www.dialnice.info, well, near the Poprad for example,are more accidents, than in this section near Zlate Moravce. I think noone doubts the necessity of R1 expressway/highway connection, but the priorities are stated and just cannot be changed every year, or by the change of the goverment. D1 clearly joints all most important regions, connects two most important cities, then industrial zones and touristic areas.
I agree, but R1 could be built faster - it would save lots of lives and D1 near Poprad as well I think both roads are dangerous especialy if you drive not carefuly or you meet some stupid in car there.

#19 ·
The expressway network of Slovakia

R1
- starts on crossing with D1 near Trnava, ends in Banská Bystrica - 168 km
- connects citities Trnava, Nitra, Zvolen, Banská Bystrica together and the cities with Bratislava as well
- between Banská Bystrica and Zvolen is prepared for widening on six lanes which will be necessary after building connection Warszaw - Budapest, it will will be part of this corridor
- will be the first completed expressway in Slovakia - in about 3 years
- there are plans of extending it on east from Banská Bystrica through region Horehronie maybe to Poprad but it is very far future

R1 map:

R2
- will start on Czech border near Drietoma and will end in Košice on crossing with R4 - near Haniská
- the longest expressway - 365 km
- will connect cities Trenčín, Prievidza, Zvolen, Lučenec, Roňava, Košice
- will cross D1, R4 and between Žiar nad Hronom and Zvolen it will use expressway R1
- now under construction bypasses of Ožďany and Tornaľa in south Slovakia
- part of south connection of Bratislava and Košice

R2 map:

R3
- will start on Polish border near Trstená it will end on crossing with R1 near Žiar nad Hronom (as you can see on the map) (258 km) or on crossing with R1 near Banská Bystrica
- part of corridor Warzsaw - Budapest
- will connect Polish highway network with Slovak and D1 with R1 - it means cities Žilina and Martin with Zvolen and Banská Bystrica
- now U/C only part between Oravský Podzámok and Horná Lehota
- in the future it will be extended to Hungarian border near Šahy

R3 map:

R4
- will start on Polish border near Vyšný Komárnik and will end on Hungarian border near Seňa - 132 km
- part of corridor Warszaw - Bucuresti
- divided in two parts - north from Vyšný Komárnik to Prešov and south from Košice to Seňa, between Prešov and Košice is already highway D1
- south part will be the bypass of Košice and north part will create bypass of Prešov
- now U/C bypass of Svidník, likely very soon will be built all south part from Košice to Hungarian border

R4 map:

R5
- the shortest expressway in Slovakia - only about two kilometres - will start on Czech border and will end on crossing with highway D3 near Svrčinovec
- it will connect highway D3 with Czech border so it will make connection between Žilina and Ostrava (CZ)
- Czech government wants to build expressway from Ostrava very quickly so R5 will be probably build also soon - before the start of full production of Hyundai factory in Nošovice because there is Kia factory in Teplička nad Váhom and there will be heavy traffic between them

R5 map:

R6
- also short expressway - 26 km, will start on border with Czech republic near Lysá pod Makytou and end near Beluša
- will connect highway D1 near Púchov with Czech republic
- our Czech friends can inform us about some Czech highway which will continue from the R6

R6 map:

R7
- will start in Bratislava and end near Lučenec on crossing with R2 - 224 km
- will cross future D4, R3 and R2
- will make better south connection of Bratislava and Košice and will connect south Slovakia with both cities as well
- there are some plans about building not expressway but highway because there is quite flat land around this road but if it will be approved the R2 from Lučenec to Košice will have to be rebuilt on highway too
- construction have not started yet

R7 map:

Now you can find at this thread the basic information about Slovak highway network. There are also other plans e.g. highway/expressway from Hungarian border near Komárno to crossing with R2 somewhere near Bánovce nad Bebravou or highway/expressway from R4 near Prešov to Vranov nad Topľou - Svidník - Ubľa - Ukrainian border but their construction is matter of very far future and there is only little information about them.

#20 ·
Thanks both you for posting all this information. More questions:

- Is any concrete pavement section planed in new highways (like in D2 and D1 in CZ Brno-Prague)?
- Is concrete better on bad weather conditions (snow, ice, rain, ...) or the reason of its use is only the long permanence in these conditions? Here in Spain we have few sections of that kind. Please, could you give me data about it?

Thanks a lot

P.D.: Timoth, I have sent you a private message trying to explain my previous post.