SkyscraperCity Forum banner

IPOH ( 怡 保 ) | Perak | State Capital City

5M views 14K replies 407 participants last post by  nazrey 
#1 · (Edited)
Since I really like Ipoh, and somebody has already posted the Old Ipoh pictures.
These are some pix of a forgotten city. [I'll try to find somemore Ipoh pix at dusk.]

Ipoh might not have many big, tall buildings like modern Penang or JB.
But, aren't these cool!

Big City --> Scroll

See less See more
#1,823 ·
DOLPHIN in MATANG???

http://www.peraknews.com/v3/uncovered-matang’s-pink-dolphins/

By Bella –

Move aside Thailand, as Matang is taking over as the regions’ best place to catch a glimpse or two of the highly intelligent and lovable pink dolphins.

Yes, you have read it right as Taiping’s Matang area is home to a small pod of these cetaceans which are globally listed as threatened. Appropriately known as Indo-Pacific Humpback dolphins, the mammals along with a remote fishing community, share the waters and fish of a vast estuary at the edge of the Matang Mangrove Reserve.

While the pink dolphins of Nakhon in Southern Thailand attract boatloads of tourists and are harder to spot, their cousins in Matang are quite unheard of despite being less elusive.

Peraknews leant about the pink dolphins from Taiping Municipality Council Tourism Publicity Officer, Hanim Ramly, who herself only found out about their presence during a field trip to that area this year.

“I was accompanying a local government tour group on a boat trip to Kelumpang Island when all of a sudden, there was this pod of dolphins swimming along with us,” said Hanim who admitted that through her 20 years of promoting Taiping’s tourism, she had never heard of the dolphins’ presence in Matang.

Neither have most people except those who eke a living from the waters of Matangs’ mangroves near Kuala Tangga Chinese fishing village.

According to locals from the village, the dolphins are usually spotted in the afternoon and are more active during high tide. Their century old village itself is remote.

Its dwindling population of less than 100 relies on boats for transportation, generators for electricity, and rain water for washing and cleaning while drinking water is brought by boats.

Probably the remote location of Kampung Tangga which is about 60 km from the jetty of Matang’s Forestry Department, explains the secrecy surrounding the dolphins.

Interestingly, there is a floating chalet in the middle of the estuary which can accommodate groups of up to 20 visitors, and it lies smack in the midst of the dolphins’ favourite romping site. That makes it much more convenient for dolphin lovers to catch up, close and personal glimpses of the mammals.

“Dolphin-watching trips organised by tour operators in southern Thailand doesn’t last more than 2 hours in a boat under blazing hot conditions,” said a Malaysian journalist who went for a similar trip organised by Tourism Authority of Thailand last year at Songkla District in southern Thailand.

There are about three to five of these dolphins according to lucky witnesses, and sometimes the friendly and intelligent creatures swim alongside boats and occasionally display their acrobatic swimming skills.

During a recent visit to Matang, the Peraknews team was lucky to have one of this lovely mammals swimming alongside their boat for more than 30 minutes.

It did not show any fear, neither did the dolphin seemed very interested. But somehow, it looked like it was playing a game as the mammal always did an appearance 50 m from our boat.

Boatman, Samad who is a ranger with the Matang Forestry Department told us the dolphins are more active and playful during high tide. The one next to us was probably not too interested due to the lower tide and less fish during that period.

Although it was a short and interesting encounter, watching dolphins in their environment is truly an exhilarating experience that all of us can experience now at the worlds’ best sustainably managed mangrove reserve just next to Taiping.

Those interested to spend a night in the estuary and view the dolphins can contact the Kuala Sepetang Floating Chalet at +605 8479829.

#1,828 ·
who know the Wisma bougainvillea function except the ground floor??other floor just like nobody stay..
I was there 2 months ago to submit my ipoh international run form. I manage to get a glance at the board listing all the occupant names on the wall near the lobby. I couldn't recall who are the occupants but for sure they were not many and most of them are government bodies or MBI related units.

Talking about the buildings and facilities managed by MBI, I am so sick to see all these run down and none maintained establishments being spoiled by MBI, just name a few: DR park, Japanese garden, Wisma Bougainvilla, Tun Razak library, Gunung Lang, stadiums, all the flats, People park beside Hugh Low street and many more...You know what I am talking about:bash:

#1,829 ·
Talking about the buildings and facilities managed by MBI, I am so sick to see all these run down and none maintained establishments being spoiled by MBI, just name a few: DR park, Japanese garden, Wisma Bougainvilla, Tun Razak library, Gunung Lang, stadiums, all the flats, People park beside Hugh Low street and many more...You know what I am talking about:bash:
agree with u..tun razak library look nice outside but, when you enter the lib u will feel that u are in 'lost world'..the worst library!.Ipoh has a lot place to commercialize but MBI spoil it, just look at, DR park and Gunung Lang..now ipoh has no attraction besides the old building. What MBI do?Where tourist put Ipoh in malaysia?not the main place to visit becoz ipoh hve NOTHING!!:bash::bash:

#1,836 ·
^^ true i agree. maybe it shld remain the way it is so it'll be a nice place for retirement. I didn't mean for it to stop developing but perhaps resist the cost of living from escalating. I think Chinese New Year in Malaysia is best celebrated there or Penang. Is it still true that Ipoh Chinese girls are regarded as prettier than from elsewhere?? Haha... used to like that place for that silly reason actually i still do thou i never really see one before. Anyhow, it could be the good air quality there that Ipoh can produce good looking Malaysians... lets hope its still as good as i can remember it.

#1,837 ·
Thursday August 11, 2011
SoHo concept in Ipoh in less than two years

IF ALL plans go according to schedule, Ipoh is expected to have its own SoHo by 2013.

Ipoh SoHo is the first “Small Office Home Office” project to be developed in the city as well as the state.

Located in Jalan Sultan Iskandar and a stone’s throw from the official residence of the Perak Mentri Besar, the ground-breaking ceremony for the project was performed by Datuk Seri Dr Zambry Abdul Kadir recently.

The project will be undertaken by an Ipoh-based developer Kinta Saujana Sdn Bhd and is expected to be completed by the end of next year. Kinta Saujana managing director Cheng Heng Keong said the Ipoh SoHo would be built on a 1.2ha site in the city centre.

Cheng said the project would consist of 24 units of three-and-a-half storey lots with a minimum size of 25’ x 65’.

He said the first SoHo suites in Ipoh would have a contemporary design incorporating a beautiful rooftop garden.

“It will also be equipped with ample security features and facilities such as CCTV surveillance.

“We aim to ensure comfort for the owner to live and work in the same place,” he said.

He added that the SoHo development concept had become a trend in major cities in the world, including Guangzhou in China.