SkyscraperCity Forum banner

you have a choice...

Present streetscapes

1M views 13K replies 418 participants last post by  Slow Burn 
#1 · (Edited)
Which city is the best at ground level?

Let's just see if you can vote for a city OTHER than the one you live in/was born.

As suggested by Kids in the Riot,

#21 ·
Which city is the best at ground level?

Let's just see if you can vote for a city OTHER than the one you live in/was born.

As suggested by Kids in the Riot,

Arf.

No chance.

Glasgow, the downtown really works for me on a human scale while having enough scale and good architecture to let you know you're in a big city.

Street level is the best level to see Manchester, the mix of shops, business, building etc. really works.

I haven't been to Birmingham or Leeds for a while. Leeds from what I recall has the street vibe, Birmingham (probably about 2000) definately didn't. Things change though.

Liverpool's slowly moving away from a couple of dominate shopping streets and a distinct business district to a far freer flowing and inclusive downtown. The street patterns are there, the architecture is there just needs more street level interaction in some places and some of the bombs sites filling in to knit the place together again.

#23 ·
Although I´m very impressed by those Manchester and Leeds pics. I have this little feeling that they´re pretty well selected though, but maybe I´m wrong.
I was thinking the opposite. (Bond Street? Come on, guys.)

But it does make an imporatant point about this debate. You can only tell which streetscapes you prefer by actually visiting them yourself, rather than having a 'hyperreal' experience on the net.

#25 ·
This will give you a better idea of Manchester's street scape!
Try this FLD.

I could post numerous pictures of Whitworth Street, Princess Street, Oxford Road, Deansgate, kings Street, St Annes Square and the others numerous Victorian building Lined streetscapes. But the one below will do.

BTW. I've never been to Glasgow, but it does look fantastic and it would probably get my vote. I've been to Birmingham a few times. Let's just leave it at that.

#26 ·
^^I recon Sheffield has some of the nicest streetscapes. It's just a shame theyre heavily outweighed by the crap parts.
Sheffield city centre today is like paradise compared to its early nineties nadir, but it'll take some considerable work to get it up to scratch with the likes of Glasgow.

However, Sheffield wins hands-down in the suburban streetscape stakes. The hills, the hills!

G
#27 ·
Glasgow most definately absolutely beautiful at ground level. New Build, Birmingham, it also has the added extra of the canals which they are really starting to make use of.

Broad Street

Brindley Place

Bullring

Temple Street

St. Phillips Cathedral

Mailbox

#29 ·
Try this FLD.

I could post numerous pictures of Whitworth Street, Princess Street, Oxford Road, Deansgate, kings Street, St Annes Square and the others numerous Victorian building Lined streetscapes. But the one below will do.

BTW. I've never been to Glasgow, but it does look fantastic and it would probably get my vote. I've been to Birmingham a few times. Let's just leave it at that.

Firstly - that is so bitchy!! ;) . Birmingham is held up as an example of how to do public realm (I will restrict that to city centre, I hasten to add).

Secondly (and pay attention FLD aswell) - ^^ that is not a streescape. it is an aerial shot. A view of rooftops is not a streetscape either. A streetscape is a pedestrian's point of view.

Thirdly - ^^ that is a public square, and an unremarkable one at that. The Town Hall is lovely, mind :)

#37 ·
Firstly - that is so bitchy!! ;) . Birmingham is held up as an example of how to do public realm (I will restrict that to city centre, I hasten to add).

Secondly (and pay attention FLD aswell) - ^^ that is not a streescape. it is an aerial shot. A view of rooftops is not a streetscape either. A streetscape is a pedestrian's point of view.

Thirdly - ^^ that is a public square, and an unremarkable one at that. The Town Hall is lovely, mind :)
Here you go Bio.

Don't forget, the CIS building has been reclad in solar panels since this picture was taken. (I'll try and take the same picture tomorrow morning)

Picture by John Davies.

Click on link for other numerous Manchester streetscapes/pictures by Tony Woof.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...dens&start=40&ndsp=20&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&sa=N

#38 ·
Newcastle is stunning at streetlevel in addition to places like Edinburgh, Oxford and Bath. Edinburgh's Royal Mile is really unique. Aberdeen has an outstanding main street in the city centre.

#40 ·
No one's bashing. We've just got differing views.:)
That seems to be the same thing here on SSC these days. Yesterday I got a moderator warning just because I disagreed with a bunch of Americans. I just said I think LA is very suburb-like, that was all. The funny part was that those who disagreed with me started insulting me (which you should bet banned for) but the moderator ignored them. It clearly isn´t worth saying you opinion here any more.