SkyscraperCity Forum banner

you have a choice...

Present streetscapes

1M views 13K replies 418 participants last post by  Slow Burn 
#1 · (Edited)
Which city is the best at ground level?

Let's just see if you can vote for a city OTHER than the one you live in/was born.

As suggested by Kids in the Riot,

#61 ·
Have you ever been to Glasgow's West End or the Southside? They are truly stunning in places, as impressive as the city centre. Nice to see Glasgow ahead without a single vote from any of its forum members, unlike some of you who would vote for your city if it was a row of mudhuts.

#62 ·
Nice to see Glasgow ahead without a single vote from any of its forum members, unlike some of you who would vote for your city if it was a row of mudhuts.
:rofl:

#66 ·
Mmmm this is an interesting one .

Manchester , Glasgow , are both great a street level , love both cities.

Leeds and Liverpool as some great parts , but not enough .

Birmingham ,i really like Brum its a speical place to me for a lots of different things , but not this.

Also Nottinham and Newcastle have some great street scapes:)

#67 ·
Id say where Glasgow does have good streetscenes, they're very good ones; beat any city any day. But Leeds is of a good standard throughout; Glasgow is 2 extremes. Unfourtanetley about 75% of the city is not so good. Liverpool isn't dirty or shabby; just boring (so I find anyway).

#68 · (Edited)
I think Birminghams the most Modern city, Dunno if that's a good thing or not, a few years ago I'd have said v bad, but now they're doing up/replacing so many of the, err less impressive 60s stuff it's coming on leaps on bounds.

For example

maybe not worlds best building, but nice enough, get the ugs to presentable, the good can look after themselve, and you're on to a winner.

But in terms of steet level stuff, I'd say Glagow then Manchester, And I much prefer Glasgow to Ediburgh for example.

#76 ·
Agreed Van Heckler - it's a great shot, so urban, but that damn Burger King ruins it!

Sheffield seems to have some magnificant street art going on - I'd like to see some more of that on this thread - the lighting used is fantastic.

Also, those two shots that Caw posted of the Canyon effect are brilliant. Especially the first shot - I can't get enough of those buildings.

Lol @ boards comment also :)

--------------------------

El_Greco - great site that, cheers for posting it. It's got a great bit on Linlithgow (near edinburgh), my home town. Thanks matey :)

#77 ·

I love that shot. Shame there's a Burger King there though.

I'm really tempted to vote for Manchester despite not seeing Glasgow through my own eyes. But I shall resist.
I really like Manchester but the one thing that stands out in that picture are all the posts for the tram wires they dont half clutter up the city. I know in Sheffield they made sure that were possible in the centre the wires were anchored to the buildings.

#80 ·
Leeds is of a good standard throughout;

Simon Jenkins
Friday May 5, 2006
The Guardian

The recent transformation of its (Leeds') centre has been astonishing. Blessedly undamaged by bombs, it survived utopian destruction in the 1960s and 1970s, when Birmingham and Manchester were laying themselves to waste. As a result almost all Leeds streets retain their Victorian character. From the booming Aire river corridor with its million-pound maisonettes, uphill to Cuthbert Brodrick's magnificent town hall, a fine urban core is emerging from a history of grime. The spectacular Corn Exchange, the gothic markets building, Frank Matcham's superb County Arcade, the civic centre, churches, playhouses, alleys and courtyards are now interspersed with the other necessity of Jacobs's "double-shift" city: residential conversions.