search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Rate-a 'Scraper

Rate-a 'Scraper For judging the best in tall buildings

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2017, 06:27 PM   #1
Sholtopenn0506

Likes (Received): 2

Dissertation research

Good evening,

I am currently completing my BSc hons degree at Lancaster university and I am doing my dissertation research on human behaviour during high-rise fire evacation.

I am currently collecting data for my research. **

Could anyone that has previously lived in or currently lives in a high-rise building in the UK please fill in a short survey?

The survey should only take about 5 minutes and it would be greatly appreciated if you could help me with my research and click on the link below.

http://survey.sogosurvey.com/survey....sP&lang=0&data

Kind regards,

Sholto Penn
Sholtopenn0506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2017, 07:19 PM   #2
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 620

I had a quick look at your survey.

I was surprised at the focus on whether people would use lifts as it is generally known not to use lifts, and I would imagine in many cases these are automatically switched off if an alarm sounds save for those reserved as "fire lifts".

Many UK residential high rise buildings are designed with reinforced concrete fireproof construction with recommendations that people wait in their flats till rescued, particularly for elderly, disabled etc. who would have difficulty with stairs. None of the questions related to this approach.

Another source of information which you can also consult are fire safety officers who can relate to you their experiences.

I once lived on the 14th floor of an apartment building, had central lifts and stairs at either end of a long corridor with a 90 degree angle. In the event of fire alamr, everyone used the stairs. There were two stairs but if one is out of action due to a fire, presumably one would only know by the heat and smoke in the stairwell. I have wondered if fire stairs should have red or green lights at each level indicating whether it is safe to use or not - operated at the fire panel at the building entrance. A PA system at each floor level may also be useful to have installed to give direction to building occupants, again operated at the building entrance near the fire panel. This would be relevant to buildings of say five storeys plus.

Good luck with your research.

Last edited by Black Cat; March 19th, 2017 at 07:26 PM.
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote