search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Home Counties and South West England

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 18th, 2017, 12:30 AM   #701
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondindevon View Post
Interesting long term plans to demolish the exeter college 10 storey tower block. it would be a fairly big project if they did it. plus i dont see how they could build a new building on that site until the tower is demolished so would take a good few years to demolish then build so where would the students go if they cant use hele road site? The sooner the better anyway but i think they have planned this for a long time but not much ever happened
http://www.devonlive.com/exeter-coll...ail/story.html
Part of me quite likes the college tower block. It looks quite good from the train travelling through the city. Its far enough out the city centre not to clash with the Cathedral or the other church spires on the skyline. I think one or two towers scattered around the city bring a bit of a city feel rather than a provincial town.

RickLW liked this post
cyril sneer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2017, 10:13 PM   #702
raymondindevon

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril sneer View Post
Part of me quite likes the college tower block. It looks quite good from the train travelling through the city. Its far enough out the city centre not to clash with the Cathedral or the other church spires on the skyline. I think one or two towers scattered around the city bring a bit of a city feel rather than a provincial town.
Exeter college did a pretty decent job refurbishing their queen street building recently, maybe with some new windows/glass/cladding etc they could just modernise the block similar to john lewis did with their tower block.
raymondindevon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 12:35 AM   #703
cyril sneer

From the sounds of it the college seem pretty intend on removing the tower. Its quite puzzling really because I can only see them losing floor space from the renders of the low rise buildings to replace it. Its certainly not the first building I would like to see removed from the skyline. That accolade belongs to Renslade House and Concord House.
Old March 19th, 2017, 08:23 PM   #704
Benjamin377

Likes (Received): 80

That's a shame actually I don't think it looks that bad. Exeter needs some taller buildings. In my opinion though Sidwell street area around john lewis should have some 10fl- 15fl midrises. Exeter would then have a mini skyline coming in from Heavitree and also from the trainline.
Benjamin377 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 01:12 AM   #705
cyril sneer

I think 10-15 floors would be a bit too overbearing for Exeter. I do agree though a mini cluster of taller buildings at the John Lewis junction would look good from the High Street. I was thinking more 5-8 stories mind. Lower than the John Lewis building basically.
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:43 AM   #706
dronkula

Likes (Received): 139

Looking at the college proposal - I think they'll keep the same amount of space because they're going to be building into the corner Hotwells Road and St Davids Hill.

That's quite a step hill there - so they can build something 'level' with the top of St Davids Hill and then get the extra floors by going 'down' into that corner.
dronkula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:49 AM   #707
cyril sneer

Its an interesting outlook they have on making better use of their floorspace; spreading the floorspace over the land in low rise buildings instead of upwards. Its an outlook I wish the developers at Renslade House would use.
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:56 PM   #708
RickLW

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril sneer View Post
I think 10-15 floors would be a bit too overbearing for Exeter. I do agree though a mini cluster of taller buildings at the John Lewis junction would look good from the High Street. I was thinking more 5-8 stories mind. Lower than the John Lewis building basically.
Yes I mentioned this before. I would like to see one or two quality tall buildings 10 or more floors, say at St James' Park or away from any important sight lines (Goodness only knows what the Tower of London and St Paul's think!!). But as Cyril said, the John Lewis (old Bobby's building) is the tallest you will get. Things may change in the future though.
Sometime soon I want to get some pictures around the bus station/ Sidwell St Queen Street - and the corner of South St/ Bhs purely for speculation/ improvement!
RickLW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 10:50 PM   #709
cyril sneer

I look at Exeter as 50/50 cathedral city/post war city. Its quite defined and unique really the split of The High Street between the narrow pre-war section and the wide post-war section. As far as I'm concerned the modern side of city should be game for development. The vista up The High Street looking up to John Lewis would look good with one or two 5-7 storey buildings in addition to John Lewis overlooking the lower rise of the post war High Street. They are developing the corner plot on Paris Street/Sidwell Street as part of the bus station scheme but its only going to be 3 stories. A missed opportunity I feel. They could have put some residential flats above the shops on that corner bit like they have flats above Princesshay.

Benjamin377, MusicMan1 liked this post
Old March 21st, 2017, 10:49 PM   #710
RickLW

Likes (Received): 57

I see on Devon Live that Crown Estates are pressing on with their plans for the Princesshay Leisure and swimming pool. The Council can't come to a conclusion, but the developers say that it is a very complex and major scheme, involving shops and roads. The shops in Paris Street are closing, apparently the charity shop is gone. Some people were turned away from a meeting in the Guildhall as the venue was too small for all the members of the public who tried to attend.
RickLW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 01:23 PM   #711
dronkula

The reserved matters planning app (basically the final 'this is really what we'll be building' application) for Princesshey Leisure is going to be decided next Wednesday.

I'd be very surprised if the council block it - they're desperate for this even if their own part of the Sidwell Point scheme is stalling.

I assume Crown Estates will be able to start with the frontage along Paris St if they get PP and are ready to go before the Bus Station is vacated.

Also - the council rejected on Monday the app for Student Flats in Newtown. They actually raised the issue over developers being greedy now and going for student flats in an area which should have 'standard' 1 bed flats.

RickLW liked this post
Old March 22nd, 2017, 04:21 PM   #712
cyril sneer

I don't see how Crown Estates can start on their bit until the bus station is closed though. The cinema will largely be located right on the bus station. Reminds me, I will get around to starting a dedicated Bus Station scheme sub-thread this weekend.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:31 PM   #713
dronkula

But they'll be demolishing the whole of the east side of Paris St (and closing that street itself).

That chunk of the scheme - with the new 'flagship' shops could easily fit in with the current Princesshey as 'Phase 1' of the whole scheme with the retail section being completed first.

Then the leisure bit - cinema, bars, amphitheatre, can come along afterwards. The only potential issue of doing the retail first before the station is closed is that the current carpark in Bude St is going to become the delivery yard for the shops and bars and that might be difficult to build with the bus station still in use?
Old March 22nd, 2017, 08:21 PM   #714
raymondindevon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronkula View Post
But they'll be demolishing the whole of the east side of Paris St (and closing that street itself).

That chunk of the scheme - with the new 'flagship' shops could easily fit in with the current Princesshey as 'Phase 1' of the whole scheme with the retail section being completed first.

Then the leisure bit - cinema, bars, amphitheatre, can come along afterwards. The only potential issue of doing the retail first before the station is closed is that the current carpark in Bude St is going to become the delivery yard for the shops and bars and that might be difficult to build with the bus station still in use?
My only concern with the 2 phases would be to ensure they legally have to complete the 2nd stage. The developer would probably be happy with all the new shops on paris street linking with princesshay but then it comes to building the amphitheater and cinema after which probably wont be such big money spinners. Anyway the sooner the better.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:26 PM   #715
cyril sneer

I think from memory most of the units in the Princesshay remit are set aside for restaurants/cafes/bars rather than retail. I think the corner plot on Paris Street/Sidwell Street corner is set aside for retail however. I would think the cinema is key to attracting footfall to the new units. Also, I don't think Princesshay would want their restaurants/cafes/bars located next to a building site if the units opened before the swimming pool and bus station were complete. I think the plan was to have the pool and bus station complete first so it did not comprimise the Princesshay remit.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 11:59 PM   #716
raymondindevon

http://www.devonlive.com/official-op...ail/story.html
Slight delay in the opening of the new £100 million+ met office super computer which will be one of the top 25 most powerful computers in the world. However i expect it should open in the next week or so. This should put Exeter at the global forefront of environmental science and should attract other businesses to the nearby skypark.
http://technation.techcityuk.com/cluster/exeter/

Old March 24th, 2017, 01:30 AM   #717
cyril sneer

The MetOffice is a real coup for Exeter even though I dislike the instant direct effect on property and rental prices in the city the move had.
Old March 24th, 2017, 06:01 PM   #718
dronkula

edit - moved post to Exeter Transport thread.

Last edited by dronkula; March 24th, 2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old Today, 07:44 PM   #719
raymondindevon

Plans in for a new bar/restaurant to be built on exeter quay (Piazza Terracina). I'm not sure if this is the right location really as its being built on the current green area amongst some very historic buildings although i guess the design isn't too imposing being 1 storey.
A positive though is it will help increase the footfall for that side of the quay especially if the nearby theatre goes ahead too -the 'boat shed'.
http://www.devonlive.com/plans-revea...ail/story.html

Old Today, 09:12 PM   #720
cyril sneer

Theres long been talk about a building being put up on that green. I'm not a massive fan of the idea however. Its bordering upon over development of the quay and canal basin in my opinion. It will also be a shame to lose the green. Its well used in the summer. The design of the building is completely out of context. Its looks like a Costa Coffee building you would see at an out of town retail park. If they must develop the plot, it would undoubtably have a great vantage over the quay, then they need to develop the design a bit further really to perhaps be a bit more sympathetic to the surroundings and perhaps reduce the footprint.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: