SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Snowhill 3 | Snow Hill Queensway | Offices | 20fl | 90m | Comp.

596K views 3K replies 235 participants last post by  leew1974 
#1 ·
New Ballymore Phase 3 Unveiled

Ballymore has unveiled new images of the third phase of its £450m Snowhill development in Birmingham.

The Irish developer began revising proposals for the mothballed phase last year. It had planned to develop a residential and leisure scheme on the site but will now proceed with designs to create an office building of between 150,000 sq ft and 200,000 sq ft.

The £100m Siddell Gibson-designed scheme will feature floorplates of around 20,000 sq ft.

Talks are under way with potential funders for the scheme. Outline plans for the phase will be submitted in Q2, with completion scheduled for 2015.

http://www.egi.co.uk/Articles/Articl...vigationID=464

See less See more
#2 ·
Here's a thumbnail pic from egi of the back.

#7 ·
It's not the glass waving in and out, it looks like cladding between the floors. Like this in Chicago but nowhere near as obvious.

#10 ·
Any news on the height? Looks between 90-100m to me based on the number of floors and that it is office

#11 ·
After the initial disappointment and final realisation that the original plans for this site have finally been put to rest, I have to say this new compromise design is slowly growing on me. And will certainly be in keeping with the other two phases. Although I wish it could be a little more dynamic & eye-catching

#15 ·
not offensive. That is all.

Should be either a simple but effective building, or if they want some sort of quirkyness they should have pushed the boat out a bit more. Street level looks a bit naff and stand off-ish.. Really dead and the doorway looks like it's trying to hide something.

Unfortunately in this case, it'll have to do. Hopefully it'll be a quality construction.

#22 ·
Q2 is when they'll submit the planning application, so everything to do with the scheme will be able to view and will most likely include renders. It's up to the architects and developers if they want to release any renders before then - there's not really any set procedure to that.

#23 ·
Architects would not release renders without permission from the developer. Some glossy renders will be produced to generate interest in the scheme with the planning application.

The design is far from the slender duo of the cancelled Snow Hill towers, but it still looks interesting enough. Really bizarre visuals!

#24 ·
Will this need to secure a pre let before construction or would it be a speculative build?

Ive heard a rumour they are possibly hoping to get planning for this and put in planning for extension of the old app going with the scheme which attracts a tennant first, doubt this is true though?

#26 ·
Yeh it will most likely need a prelet to secure bank funding. I can't imagine the old scheme having much success going forward because of the high number of apartments.

#31 ·
sefton66 said:
Will this need to secure a pre let before construction or would it be a speculative build?

Ive heard a rumour they are possibly hoping to get planning for this and put in planning for extension of the old app going with the scheme which attracts a tennant first, doubt this is true though?
/
I'm not sure whether it i possible to have 2 different but valid applications at anyone time. Woody do you know if it is possible?

#37 ·
Yes this is perfectly legal and perfectly acceptable... assuming all proposals are deemed appropriate.

I have just detal with a city centre site which the owner whats to sell. Consequently, the increase the value and salability of the site, they submitted 3 different planning applications for three different buildings for three different uses... apartments, student accommodation and a hotel... perfectly legal... but as soon as you start on site for one planning application, you can only commense work on one permisison, not all three... ie you cant start buildings an apartnemtn building and then switch halfway through the build to the approved hotel without the need for another planning application....

#38 ·
Yeh, they need a pre-let. Banks are very unlikely to give loans to fund the construction of office buildings right now if they don't have a tenant lined up. Before the recession, we saw office buildings getting funding irrespective of if there was a tenant or not. Now it's a completely different story.