daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Thai Forum > Regional Thailand

Regional Thailand Anything about Southern, Northern, Eastern and North eastern of Thailand

Old May 7th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #1
bizbote

Likes (Received): 0

News from Vientiane!!!

Wow!!! Very Interesting...I found this news from Laoupdate

Congratulations to our closest neighbour!

VTEtimes:

Many foreign businesses are interested in the Xang Square Tourist Complex and some of them are already booking floor space in the centre. "Some of our units were already booked last year by foreigners and local businessmen," said Jessica Lim, Senior Sales Executive of Xang Square Tourist Complex.

Xang Square is located on Don Chanh next to the Don Chanh Palace Hotel, the first five star hotel currently being built in Laos. The complex is a Don Chanh development project being undertaken by Sun Holdings Company, a Malaysian investor.

Jessica explained that the foreign businessmen who booked the complex are from Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, China, Thailand, the US, Canada and Australia. "Many people called us for information," said another sales executive. "Many foreigners are interested in the complex because it is the first big shopping complex to be built in Laos," said Jessica.

A two-day lecture to launch the sale of space in the complex started yesterday for interested people to get more details. "People have visited our office to get more details on the booking of units in the complex," said Grace Chong, another sales executive.

Xang Square is expected to be completed within two years. Jessica said that the people of Vientiane would be able to go on shopping sprees at the nation's biggest shopping centre in 2006.

Units are available for the public to book at different prices depending on their size and location. The land lease is for a 50 year concession period. There is also a discount promotion for the space. The initial rental fee is payable within 2 years depending on the progress of the construction. The customers would put down a US$ 200 deposit before then.

"I am glad the price is calculated year by year because it is quite a lot of money for me to pay all at once," said Ms Vat, a local businesswoman interested in the complex. She said that a 4 x 4m piece of floor space cost US$ 30,000 for 50 years. So it is only US$600 per year or US$ 50 per month. "I am interested in it, but it is quite a lot of money so I will discuss it with my boyfriend first," said Vat. "It is good for businessmen who have a lot of money," she added.

The two-storey shopping complex will be built on 96,876 square metres and consists of 1,500 different units.

The complex will not only have the basics of any modern building, such as a centralised air-conditioning system, escalators, elevators, restrooms and public phones, it will also consist of a food court, restaurants, an exhibition space, an information counter and board, a medical room and foreign exchange counters. The complex also will provide a large area for parking cars and motorbikes.

Exhibitions, game shows, artistic performances and other entertainment will also be held at the complex to make it the centre of attraction of Vientiane. It will be more than just a place for shopping. "It will be a place for a new entertainment experience for Lao people," said Jessica.

Future developments on Don Chanh include hospitals, colleges, gas stations, commercial areas, apartments and office buildings.

Last edited by bizbote; May 7th, 2005 at 03:54 PM.
bizbote no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 7th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #2
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 875

wow!!...This is a good sign of a very bright future!!

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve Üto budete rekli mo×e i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #3
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 875

OMG....I just realized I can read Laos...

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve Üto budete rekli mo×e i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #4
Nongkhai_tong
Tong

Likes (Received): 33

Wow! Big competition with the Tazinomix Complex hahahhaha

Nongkhai Vs Vientiane

"เรากำลังเล่นเว็บบอร์ดอินเตอร์อยู่นะครับ สังคมคนไทยในนี้เป็นเพียงแค่สังคมเล็ก ๆ ของ SSC ไม่ว่าเราจะอยู่จังหวัดไหน ขอให้รักใคร่ปองดองกัน - Nongkhai_tong"
Nongkhai_tong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #5
proX
dont luk@ me like u no me

what is the difference among THAI, CAMBODIAN AND LAOTIAN?? cuz personally....they look kind of analogous to me!!!
proX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 09:30 PM   #6
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 104

^ they're all from different countries.
Whats the difference between people from European countries? or African countries?

Last edited by Imperfect Ending; May 8th, 2005 at 09:18 AM.
Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #7
proX
dont luk@ me like u no me

I'M TALKING ABOUT WRITTEN LANGUAGE NOT THE PEOPLE!! duh!!lol!
proX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 11:26 PM   #8
staff
囧!

Likes (Received): 372

I think that Laonese and Thai are kind of similar languages (both spoken and written), but Cambodian is an entirely different language in all senses. The differences between cultures, languages, ethnicity etc. are far more big in Asia than in Europe for example.
Old May 7th, 2005, 11:47 PM   #9
Jo
Iron horse rider dlx

Likes (Received): 9

Aha.. the written language.
All three are related. Thai and Lao (both the language and alphabet) are pretty similar, while Khmer is a lot more different. Many Thais also speak Lao, but few speak Khmer.

I'll leave the detailed explanation to the experts around here.

Regarding this development. Although it's probably good for the economy of Vientiane I'd really hate to see it built! Vientiane is very unique.. new buildings need to fit in better than this.
Jo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 12:20 AM   #10
Jo
Iron horse rider dlx

Interesting website bizbote!

According to it they are also renovating Talat Sao. The green roofed building on the map. That's the large central market in Vientiane, next to the bus terminal.

Talat Sao to get new look in 2009

IN five years time, Vientiane Talat Sao (or Morning Market) will be drastically different from what it is today. Talat Sao will be redeveloped into a modern shopping centre, housing more than 1,600 shops selling all kinds of merchandise. There will also be a 400-lot carpark in the shopping centre. On 2 December, Singapore Excalibur Group Pte Ltd, inked a US$27 million project to redevelop Talat Sao in three phases. In Phase I, temporary shop space would be set up in front of the Post Office while the construction of a three-storey building takes place. In Phase II, merchants would move their wares to the temporary three-storey building, while construction of another four-storey (including basement) building commences. In the final phase, the temporary block would be demolished and the new face of Talat Sao unveiled to the public. Excalibur expects the redevelopment project to be completed by 2009.

THE renovation of the Morning Market under the Morning Market Revamping Project (MMRP), which is an investment from the Singapore businessmen, will start on 6 February. In order to prepare for the renovation works, the Administrative Board of Morning Market held a meeting on 29 January to brief the merchants. Project-1 will start from the right wing of the main building that is opposite to the Post Office. Mr Bounphon Sisoulath, Head of Vientiane Capital Trade Division, who sits in the Task Force Committee, said that the objective for reconstructing the Morning Market is to expand and build a trade and tourist centre in Vientiane Capital. ?This area will be a centre for trade exchange and relations between producers and consumers nationwide and foreign countries. We want it to be a modern shopping centre, said Mr Bounphon. The project is valued at US$27 million. Under the first phase of the project, a Singapore construction company will build a four-storey car park. It will spend the next nine months to work on the west wing of the main building opposite the Post Office. The stone foundation laying ceremony will be held on 6 February.

Old May 8th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #11
satit28
Rukpong

Likes (Received): 7

in vientiane all the DVDs are very cheap............
satit28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 09:18 AM   #12
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 104

You gotta speak one language to know the difference between the three but its easy with Thai with Cambodian or Laotian with Cambodian. May be kinda tricky with Thai and Laotian thought. But like I its like finding the difference between Í and Ň

I guess I gotta find out what analogous means

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #13
Nongkhai_tong
Tong

Well in my experience people in Nongkhai in another districts some of them speak really Lao event villager in Muang District and some time when I met Laos most I don't understand it not because I'm Thai and they are Laos but it's because we have so many different ways to use the words.

"เรากำลังเล่นเว็บบอร์ดอินเตอร์อยู่นะครับ สังคมคนไทยในนี้เป็นเพียงแค่สังคมเล็ก ๆ ของ SSC ไม่ว่าเราจะอยู่จังหวัดไหน ขอให้รักใคร่ปองดองกัน - Nongkhai_tong"
Old May 8th, 2005, 03:58 PM   #14
Jo
Iron horse rider dlx

I wonder... can anyone here speak or understand Khmer?
Old May 8th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #15
Nongkhai_tong
Tong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo
I wonder... can anyone here speak or understand Khmer?
I'm sorry I can't speak and don't know who to? or can you speak Khmer? I think it's hard to learn

Old May 8th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #16
Jo
Iron horse rider dlx

Same here, I can't speak any khmer

BTW, here is a comparison of Thai and Khmer consonants

Thai:

Khmer:
Old May 8th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #17
Nongkhai_tong
Tong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo
Same here, I can't speak any khmer

BTW, here is a comparison of Thai and Khmer consonants

Thai:

Khmer:
look quite similar Thai and Khmer

I think Thai hase mixed all languages in this region to become Thai language
Do you think so?

Old May 8th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #18
Jo
Iron horse rider dlx

They are certainly related because they both originated from sanskrit(?).

I'm not sure but maybe they were both developed at the same time and turned out different because of the cultures living separately. The Thai script has probably changed more since its beginnings than Khmer... just guessing, as it looks more simplified.
Old May 8th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #19
Pas

Likes (Received): 2

We were taught at school that King Ramkhamhaeng invented the Thai alphabet and he adopted it from the Khmer. Whether this is true or not I don't know..

It's amazing though how Lao's alphabets are so similar to Thai's. For example I can understand most of the texts in that Laotian article posted by Bizbote.
BTW I notice how Thai & Lao are very similar in that we adore the elephants!!!
Pas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 05:15 AM   #20
Zimoune
Zimoune

Likes (Received): 1

i used to visit one museum about that in Sukothai, speaking about the evolkution of those languaes. and from what i remameber, Thai was very similar to Laos writting. then words might be different, don't know
Zimoune no está en línea   Reply With Quote