daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai

Old August 26th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #1
Kewl Batty
When it rains, it pours!

Likes (Received): 11

Chennai Transportation & Road Projects - Suggestions | Views | Alternates

Friends,

As we have discussed earlier, here is the initiative (Apologies for the delay). Lets concentrate on one topic initially.

As the title suggests, this thread is for suggestions, view and alternates for the "existing/planned/under development" transportation and road projects.

Scope include (but not limited to)

* Chennai Metro - Official Site - Wiki

* Chennai MTC - Official Site - Wiki

* Traffic Management ( High-occupancy Vehicle lanes, Automatic Number Plate Recognition, Traffic flow models, etc)

* Geographical Techniques (GPS, GIS, etc)

* Chennai MTRS - Wiki

* Chennai Suburban Railways - Official Site - Wiki

* Chennai HSCTC - Wiki

* Chennai Elevated Expressways - Wiki

* Chennai BRTS/RBTW - Wiki - Wiki

* ORR - Wiki - CMDA

* IT Corridor (Rajiv Gandhi Salai) - Official webpage - Wiki

* Chennai Bypass - Wiki

* Chennai Monorail - Wiki

* Para transits - Autos/Share autos/taxis, etc

* Flyovers & Grade Separators

* IRR/ECR and other Roads

* Waterways/Hover crafts, etc

* Skywalks

* MRT/LRT along ORR

Chennai Master Plan 2 - Transportation component

Note: Be polite while addressing fellow forumers. Gossips/Unwated discussions would be deleted without notice.

Dos
1. Be specific to the project/issue/situation you're addressing.

2. Give in more details, maps, simple drawings, etc

3. Address only topics that are related to Transportation and Road Projects -

4. Please take a look at the list of projects and decide whether your post is apt for this thread.

Don'ts
1. Post generalized ideas/suggestions.

2. Post one-liners.

Guess I provided all the necessary info about the projects. You can PM me if need be!

Last edited by Kewl Batty; August 26th, 2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: added do's and don'ts
Kewl Batty no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 26th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Mad 4 Madras
Mad 4 Madras

Likes (Received): 0

My dream will come true one day

It is really high time to start this thread. Thanks Kewl
If all the above are addressed properly in time then my Chennai will be a Jack of all Trades

-----------------------------------
Chennai One Stop Global City - Sooooooon
Mad 4 Madras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #3
prasanna
Power to Change

Likes (Received): 1

Hi all, I have been reading articles on this forum for almost a year and a half now. I thought this is the time when I can add my two paisa worth here.

1. All the existing arterial roads inside the city and its suburbs should be widened to atleast 6 lanes. The practical difficulties in this being the clearing of encroachments. Almost all the arterial roads of Chennai are being clogged with encroachments of all kinds, shops, unregulated parking, garbage dump, pavement dwellers. The Anna Main Road, from Ashok Nagar upto Nesapakkam bus stop is one classic example of a road that is being clogged by all possible kinds of encroachments.

2. Lanes should be clearly marked, with dedicated lanes for cycles.

3. All the arterial roads should have foot paths, with subways or foot over bridges at necessary junctions. I feel having ramps instead of steps or having ramp and steps side by-side would definitely encourage their usage.

4. There should be a public convenience neatly maintained at regular intervals.

5. Its high time that the operation of MRTS is being controlled by the TN Government (like the metro). This will definitely help in modernization of the stations, rolling stocks etc..

6. The Autos should be highly regulated. I feel that Chennai does not have a decent taxi service and the cabs being operated are rickety omni's, indica's and ambassadors.

7. Its high time that the MTC or some other agency thinks of running mini buses on Chennai roads. For eg, MTC runs buses in the narrow chinmaya nagar road in virugambakkam towards CMBT. It would be great if such narrow roads had dedicated luxury mini bus operations that have a capacity to seat 20 and carry another 20 as standees. Also minibuses can act as a feeder service to bus depots, railway stations etc. and also as "Destination Carriers" to say T.Nagar, beaches etc.

But above all it needs a mindset and attitude change of the people. This is one of my experience with my cousin brother; The roads in and towards his area "Kilkattalai" were so bad that we got so terrified for going there. He coolly said "Nama enna singapore liya irukom, road nalla illa nu solradhuku. Chennai la dhane irukom, apdi dhan irukum". This attitude is what is standing between Chennai (rather all Indian cities) becoming truly global!!
prasanna no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

Likes (Received): 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna View Post
You mean on-road cycle lanes? Chennai doesnt have large number of cycle users. They will be a waste of road space and increase congestion thus resulting in pollution.
Anniyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

Quote:
3. All the arterial roads should have foot paths, with subways or foot over bridges at necessary junctions. I feel having ramps instead of steps or having ramp and steps side by-side would definitely encourage their usage.
Foot over bride doesnt seem to be popular among Chennaites, then why build it. Its only for weak and old citizens, fit and brave citizens prefer to cross the live traffic.
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #6
saurabh85

Likes (Received): 136

Hi guys, I would like to know if there are any immediate plans to decongest Mount Road beginning from Saidapet bridge.During rush hour the traffic really crawls because of the ridiculous number of traffic lights. In fact at a few locations there are 2 traffic lights within 25-30 m of each other . Also are there any plans for the madhya kailash junction(trumpet interchange)??
saurabh85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #7
prasanna
Power to Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniyan View Post
You mean on-road cycle lanes? Chennai doesnt have large number of cycle users. They will be a waste of road space and increase congestion thus resulting in pollution.
I agree, but their use can be promoted in the lines of London and Paris. Chennai's road surface being flat, unlike in hyderabad or mysore, can definitely be conducive for cyclists
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #8
prasanna
Power to Change

Quote:
Foot over bride doesnt seem to be popular among Chennaites, then why build it. Its only for weak and old citizens, fit and brave citizens prefer to cross the live traffic.
, but on a serious note it is we in the name of youth do all these things. Look at the IT corridor for eg. The employees prefer to jump over such a high median to a foot over bridge. One night near the bessie beach, though the space for crossing the road was nearby, the guys jumped over the median, having steel railings atleast 2.5 feet high... We are to blame..
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #9
die4chennai

We should be more specific with the proposals... These genaralized ideas have been repeatedly given in many of the studies/reports/articles time and time again... So lets be more specific in our ideas
die4chennai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #10
Kewl Batty
When it rains, it pours!

Quote:
Quote:
I guess the best way would be to integrate Bicycle lanes with Skywalks. Cycles can be taken up using lifts. It'd avoid wastage of road space as well as be safer for pedestrians and cyclists.
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #11
prasanna
Power to Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by die4chennai View Post
We should be more specific with the proposals... These genaralized ideas have been repeatedly given in many of the studies/reports/articles time and time again... So lets be more specific in our ideas
sorry though i have been observing a lot in this forum, I am new to posting. So can u help me with what is specific? like "6 lane arcot road, clear encroachments from anna main road"?
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #12
venkatm

Likes (Received): 184

uniform pavements - a lot of money was spent on granite footpaths but there is no sweeping and zero maintenance. Once some digging happens, there is no maintenance team to fix it.

Almost all shopkeepers use the pavement to store/display goods and as dedicated parking. This is the number one reason for the chaotic look of the city

Medians being built with granite with grills and plants only look good for 2 weeks after inauguration. After that it is paan stained, smoke stained dirty slab. No point spending money on such projects. A simple well painted concrete median is needed

10-15 tow trucks per each zone of the corporation to deal with parking offenders from 6 AM - 10 PM

A joint patrol of corporation/CMDA/traffic police that can deal immediately with encroachers without the niceties of notice/court stays

10 feet high compounds around all open spaces including waterways

Mandatory car park for any shop or multi unit dwelling. Property tax directly related to provision for parking and greenery

All areas surrounding chennai to be mandated to only approve layout roads with 40, 60, 80 and 100 feet wide. most suburbs now have 10-12 ft wide roads only

All suburbs to have modern waste disposal incl sewerage/water supply

no mom and pop shops aka potti kadai/annachi kadais on main roads. only proper complexes with boundary walls, parking and landscaping should be allowed

Every street to have minimum amount of open space (greenery and for playing)

clear demarcation of residential and commercial areas. No conversion to be allowed forever

clear demarcation for individual houses and flats. People should not be allowed to convert 1 and 2 ground plots to flats

deal with slums with an iron hand. biometric/optical/genetic records to be maintained when alloting slum board flats so that it is not rented out and again the same people get one more flat.

move out all slums along waterways to 4-5 locations far away from any kind of waterbody.

get rid of water from the various canals and make them pure flood water carriers. This is the only way to reduce mosquitoes.

I could go on and on.....
venkatm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #13
Kewl Batty
When it rains, it pours!

venkatm, thats a nice list!

But what we're looking for in this thread is for specific ideas and not generalized statements and one-liners!

Let me be specific! For example, take the case of traffic jam at (say) guindy. What is the real problem there? How can it be avoided? Proposed traffic management systems and improvements, etc....
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #14
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

Quote:
I agree, but their use can be promoted in the lines of London and Paris. Chennai's road surface being flat, unlike in hyderabad or mysore, can definitely be conducive for cyclists
First let our two-wheelers wear helmet and follow lane discipline, then we can dream about providing seperate cycle lane and encourage people to use cycle with helmet, in the lines of London and Paris.

btw, in the UK cycle lane on the carriageway are not popular as they are dangerous. There are numerous cases of accidents and some transport chiefs have admitted that cyclelanes are less safe for cyclist.

Last edited by Anniyan; August 26th, 2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old August 27th, 2009, 04:07 AM   #15
Keeran

Likes (Received): 3

Venkatam

All what you said are sound. I wish you go on and on.
Keeran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #16
nsantha2

Likes (Received): 7

I think a good start would be to have a standard height for all footpaths (something like 5-6 inches), along with a minimum width of 2 metres on major roads such as Anna Salai, IRR, SP Road, LB Road, etc. This will allow pedestrians the actual space they need to walk on the pavement instead of on the road. For roads that aren't as wide, we can correspondingly reduce the minimum width of the pavement.

Hawkers who encroach upon the pavement should be injudiciously removed ASAP. I think police officers should be given a bonus based on how many of these chaps they evict.

My major grievance with Chennai roads is the amount of dust in the air. While this is partly unavoidable, I think a good amount of it comes from the 2-3 inches of road that remains unpaved - between the pavement and the road. I have no clue why this exists and it really annoys me, because it's easy to fix! Elimination of this dusty strip would make walking in the city so much more pleasant.

Finally, I think have a pavement lined with trees would be make walking even more pleasant under the harsh sun. But this is being to general.

My main demand - removal of the damn dust strip along all major roads (the ones I mentioned earlier) and provision of a good quality footpath subject to certain constraints on height and width.
nsantha2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #17
Kathir

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsantha2 View Post
Finally, I think have a pavement lined with trees would be make walking even more pleasant under the harsh sun. But this is being to general.
Trees is a good idea. They also reduce the pollution caused by the emissions.
And in places where it is not possible to plant trees, roofs can be installed all along the pavement.
Kathir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #18
natarajan1986
social member

Likes (Received): 585

few sky walkers and it need some good solution with flyover as this area is great chaos for pedestrians as well as two wheelers
natarajan1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #19
pxp
one among you

Likes (Received): 14

Raised Pavements all along newly laid roads should be a prime focus
(a) minimum dust in air
(b) source of sand particles from road "sides" can be limited
(c) rain water on roads can be drained below the pavement
(d) Pure walkway
(e) "Vehicle parking" at sides of roads wont be possible & will hit the parking lot
(f) Easy to board bus
Old August 27th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #20
ferrari_fan
Forza!

Likes (Received): 188

Nice initiative..

To put in my 2 cents..

1) Training:

Most Chennai drivers don't know how to drive. Period. And that will never change as long as it is possible to buy a license from the RTO for Rs. 100. I think it is of vital importance that the RTO Officers are made to take their work more seriously.

They should realise that tomorrow, one of the people who they allowed to paid his way through his driving test could well be the one who ends up hitting them on the road..

2) Enforcement of traffic rules:

Chennai has good road infra.. Ok - calling it good infra is going too far, but roads are at least close to acceptable in most parts. What it does not have is disciplined drivers.

And nothing is going to make drivers follow rules other than the fear of fines.

There aren't enough cops in the world to man every junction and every stretch of of road in the city, but I do think it is possible to enforce rules segment by segment, at least along major arterial roads for a start.

The 3 km stretch of Mount Road in front of Spencers is, for me, the perfect model - you'll notice crazy weaving of vehicles on every other road in the city, but almost magically when vehicles enter this stretch they behave. Why? Because they realise that if they don't, they will be pulled over.

It should be easy enough to replicate this on other stetches of Mount Road itself? Create a kind of "Model Corridor for Lane Discipline" to give it a fancy name..

I guess these are still rather "general" suggestions, but for me these are the 2 most important issues when it comes to commuting in Chennai..
ferrari_fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: