daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Projects > Development News

Old September 11th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #1321
112597Jorge

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
I'm guessing shopping mall. They don't need more warehouses and the Raiders just came up with a new proposal in Oakland. Or could this the Raiders' way of playing the LA card?
Who knows, i just thought it was interesting.
112597Jorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 11th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #1322
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 181

When they start digging out a "bowl",
then you'll know.
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #1323
pesto

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597Jorge View Post
Who knows, i just thought it was interesting.
I do to. Hope it's for a stadium but you would expect some more news if it were. Maybe it's for flood control for the coming winter.
pesto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #1324
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 107

It aint happenin!
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #1325
saiholmes

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed LA

SCALE MODEL OF L.A. LIVE'S FUTURE UNVEILED IN LOBBY OF JW MARRIOTT

http://www.lalive.com/news/detail/sc...of-jw-marriott
http://la.curbed.com/
saiholmes está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:05 AM   #1326
saiholmes

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Times

A return of L.A. Rams? Owner is said to buy possible stadium site
St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke is said to have bought a 60-acre lot in Inglewood next to Hollywood Park that could potentially be a used for an NFL stadium.
By Sam Farmer
January 30, 2014, 5:34 p.m.

The owner of the St. Louis Rams has bought a large piece of land in Inglewood that potentially could be used for an NFL stadium, multiple individuals with knowledge of the transaction have told The Times.

Within the last month, billionaire Stan Kroenke bought a 60-acre parking lot located between the Forum and Hollywood Park, according to individuals who spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak on behalf of the buyer or seller.

The Rams have been unable to work out a stadium deal in St. Louis, and, according to the terms of their lease, are able to move after the 2014 season. Last February, the Rams won an arbitration case against the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission concerning upgrades to the Edward Jones Dome. The commission proposed spending $124 million to bring the venue up to date, but the Rams said the necessary renovations would cost about $700 million.

Kroenke's purchase of the L.A.-area land puts additional pressure on St. Louis to come to the bargaining table or risk losing its NFL team. However, 60 acres is probably too small to fit a stadium and the required parking.

An adjacent 238-acre site is owned by Stockbridge Capital Partners, which intends to transform the recently closed Hollywood Park Racetrack into a modern residential community, Hollywood Park Tomorrow, with development beginning this spring. It is unclear whether it would be possible or financially feasible for Kroenke to purchase some portion of that land for a stadium, especially one unlikely to be publicly financed in any way.

It is risky for an NFL owner to take an obvious step toward Los Angeles for a number of reasons.

First, Kroenke could be creating a lame-duck situation for the Rams in St. Louis, potentially driving down attendance dramatically, as was the case when teams that announced they would move lingered in the Houston and Cleveland markets.

In order to move, the Rams would need more than an escape clause in their lease. They would need to satisfy the NFL's relocation guidelines, which require a good-faith negotiation with St. Louis and/or the state of Missouri on a stadium plan. Because St. Louis has already shown a willingness to spend public money on a venue — something that will not happen in the L.A. market — that would make it more difficult for the Rams to get the NFL's blessing on a move.

In the post-9/11 era, there is a potential Federal Aviation Administration issue with building a stadium at or near Hollywood Park, which sits in the flight path of Los Angeles International Airport. Al Davis, then owner of the L.A. Raiders, got a Hollywood Park proposal approved in the 1990s, but the world was a different place then.

There probably would be a slew of other environmental challenges to building a stadium there — among them traffic and parking issues — particularly next to a large Hollywood Park Tomorrow development.

Already, there are two competing NFL stadium proposals in the Los Angeles area, one next to Staples Center, and another in the City of Industry. Both almost certainly would exert as much political and public pressure as possible to derail a third option.

Finally, a relocation would require a three-quarters majority vote of the league's 32 teams. The fact that the Rams already left this market would be a strike against them. What's more, a team filling the L.A. market would be a detriment to getting stadium deals done in San Diego and Oakland because it would deprive those teams of leverage in their home cities. A coalition of at least nine NFL owners could block any such move.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/footba...,3805682.story
saiholmes está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 07:33 PM   #1327
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 107

1..2..3.."Pest" enter stage door left.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 06:35 AM   #1328
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 181

PESSSSST? PESTILENCE?
Klams is calling you out!

Let me tell you about the NFL,
and this is something I just learned today:

They offer up the chance to build a stadium,
and these days between 40 to 65% of the
funding comes from the city itself, just so
they can push their precious brand of merch-
andising and entertainment, and give you the
bullshit of making your money back within the year.

You build the stadium for about 500 million.
(In L. A. it would be well over a billion)
And once you pass the test, they award you
a "Superbowl".

(Here's where I apologize for using the term
"Superbowl" without their expressed written permission
)

Their promise is that you make an estimated
500 million dolars for your immediate area during
one of their precious Superbowls, thus either
earning your money back or making a profit.

But the average true amount made by a host city
is about one tenth of their estimate, which is a lie.
About 50 to 60 million dollars.

Do I have to tell you what New Jersey is going through?

L. A. is passing the test, and I'm proud.
No stadium in Inglewood!
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 05:10 PM   #1329
pesto

Klam: I've actually been posting for 3 days under the Proposed Stadiums thread, but here's the highlights (lowlights?):

Telephone rings:
G: Hello, Roger here.
K: Hey, Roger, Stan Kroenke here. I know you instituted a policy that any owner that buys land is LA has to report it to you. Thought I’d call and let you know I bought 60 acres in Inglewood right near Hollypark and the new Forum, renovated by MSG.
G: (Long pause) Uh, nice area; the Westside is really booming I hear.
K: For sure; tech, media, upscale housing. We have some choices on what we could build there.
G: Yeah, we’ve thought about retiring somewhere in that area or up toward your places in Malibu.
K: Great. Love to show you around some time, when you’re in town.
G: Well we just might take you up on that.

Very long pause. Then a longer pause.

G: Covered or uncovered?
K: We’re thinking a retractable dome in the middle; deploys like something out of Star Wars. MSG is crazy about working with us on a new entertainment city; production, bars, hotels, the whole bit. Magic, Disney, Leo DiCaprio, Dreamworks and all their buddies are dying to invest. Makes Jerry’s place in Dallas look like your grandpa’s shit house after a flood.
G: Nice; we can live with that.

slipperydog liked this post

Last edited by pesto; February 1st, 2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old February 1st, 2014, 05:13 PM   #1330
pesto

In response to a comment that the Inglewood purchase is intended to put pressure on Phil Anschutz to make a deal downtown:

The STL take is that he bought it to put pressure on STL. That sounds legit since he can use the LA land for football if they don't cave and for mixed use development (or resale) if he gets what he wants in STL.

You don't need to put pressure on AEG because Kroenke has no interest in a deal where he doesn't own 100 percent of the team, game day revenues and the stadium. Anschutz can't make that work as of now, and no one, including the NFL and Anschutz, believes that such a deal can be found in LA. But it probably can be found in STL, if the city and state are desperate to keep the team.
Old February 1st, 2014, 05:23 PM   #1331
pesto

More generally, since on this thread we tend to be interested in understanding broader patterns: the NFL is a cartel (notice how Goodell has forbidden any team from negotiating independently of the league office or even buying land in LA without notifying him). A cartel proposes the best deal for itself and doesn't care if it is acceptable to you. It has time and it has alternatives (I hear the Mayor of London is drooling for a team.)

LA is no different. I hope no one still believes that the NFL needs LA. I used to think there would be legitimate negotiation since I believed that teams still had the willingness to stand-up to the Commissioner, but now I think that era has passed. When LA provides the right site and right deal, it will get a team. Count on the city losing money and trying to hide it through complex explanations about Super Bowls, business generated, world-wide publicity, attracting investment, etc.

And this is how it should be. That's how cartels work. In fact, the whole point is to make maximum profits for the members by charging maximum prices to consumers.

milquetoast liked this post