SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Argentina ever make it?

5K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  Lebensraum 
#1 ·
Argentina is pretty unique in that its economy had strong growth in the first decades of the 20th century (thus receiving an immigration wave second only to the US, at least until the 50s) but then after WW2 started loosing momentum only to finally enter into a prolongued period of roller coaster like development. The beautiful European style architecture of Buenos Aires is reminiscent of those golden years when Argentina topped most European countries in its wealth. But for some reasons Argentina started to stagnate when all other similarly developed Western countries entered into a long post-war boom. Not even the "Chicago Boys" style economic policy (which propelled Chile into new economic heights) initiated after the 80s seems to have a sustainably positive effect on Argentina's economy.

So what is it with this promising country, "rolling on the taxiway" for decades now without ever "taking off"?

#30 ·
ssiguy2 said:
Not fair to draw an exact analogy between Uruguay and Argentina.
Both have similar economies/income levels/education/life exp but Uruguay is not, proportionatly in as much debt. Both have a large middle class but more so Uruguay.
Also one thing that is definatly to Uruaguays favour is its strong democratic institutions and mentality.
While Aregentina has gone from one corrupt govt to the other and then military rule for half the century Uruguay has not. Except for a 8 year span in 70s/80s due to hyper-inflation, Uruguay has know nothing but democracy since its inseption.
Its labour, political, gender, social, and media has ALWAYS been the freeist in S.A.
It also does not have the corruption ofArgentina or its more militaristic history and mentality.
I put, without hesitation, my bet on Uruguay........its not refered to as the Switzerland of Latin America for nothing.
Its lack of Argentina's reactionary populace and more orderly and peaceful society has served her well and will help her prosper more than her bigger neighbour, both economically and socially.

first of all, you cant compere both countrys
second i think that you dont have an idea of what is argentina and uruguay, there are two diferents reallities. the first one its a big and rich country and uruguay its really small, its just as big as buenos aires province, their population its about 3 and a half million, it almost dont have something thats make it powerfull or has a caracteristic so you can say they´ll make it (the think that came to my mind its "fiscal paradise" so tell me about corruption...), so you cant ever compare.
finally,you should read a little bit more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.