Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Shanghai, China

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other City

Votes: 12 14.0%

Most Rounded City

6K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  mikep 
#1 · (Edited)
Which city do you think is the most rounded in the world. What I mean by rounded is that there is a mix of Old and New, combines density and sprawl, fast life as opposed to slow paced, a city with diverse ethnicities and backgrounds, and a dense CBD with headquarters sprawled everywhere. Which city combines these and makes this city special?

My pick: Chicago

Chicago has a really dense downtown, where there is so much to do. Chicago also has its fair share of sprawl, which I believes makes Chicago a great place because if you don't want to live in a dense, livable downtown, you can move to the suburbs.

#27 ·
Out of probable cities that I've been to:

NY, Chicago, (Montreal), (Toronto), London, (Boston), and Los Angeles...I'd most definitely pick Montreal. It is a a city that offers the "best of both worlds" (modern North America and historic Europe). It is French and English and then some. It has big-city amenities in a smaller-sized city. It has a dense CBD and a sprawling metro...

#28 ·
Chicago or San Francisco started growing some 100 years ago, I wouldn't call that "mixture of old and new", maybe it's for the Americans, but it's a bit of a short-termed history...

- London is for sure a very good example: dense center with mixture of old and new, suburban sprawl with all the new towns and the green belt.
- Paris is also a good example in Europe or Berlin
- Bangkok would be my Asian choice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.