daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» classic architecture | european classic architecture and landscapes | public space | shopping architecture | design & lifestyle | urban renewal and redevelopment

Old May 29th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 5054

Hong Kong's Office Buildings Coldest in the World

Sunday May 29, 7:40 PM
Study: Hong Kong's office buildings coldest in the world

AP - Hong Kong's office buildings are the coldest in the world due to cranked up air conditioning, according to a study released Sunday.

Most Hong Kong offices keep their temperature at between 21 (70 Fahrenheit) to 22 degrees Celsius (72 Fahrenheit) - with the coldest office measuring 17.6 degrees (64 Fahrenheit) - well below the recommended 25 degrees (77 Fahrenheit), the study by Hong Kong Polytechnic University professor Daniel Chan said.

Mei Ng, director of environmental group Friends of the Earth, which released the study results, urged employers to allow casual wear during the summer so that air conditioners can be turned down.

An upward adjustment of one Celsius degree will reduce electricity consumption by 3 percent, Ng said in a statement, noting that air conditioners account for 60 percent of electricity consumption in the summer.

Lawmaker Choy So-yuk was quoted as saying in the statement that she has on occasions left legislative meetings to get more clothing because the building was too cold.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 29th, 2005, 06:47 PM   #2
IchO
SSC Co.

Likes (Received): 0

so?
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #3
InitialD18

i read an article earlier about the a/c micro-climates in hk creates a two climate system ... a controlled one and a natural one ... it is this micro-climate that makes the hyper-dense developments in hk work ...
InitialD18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 05:36 AM   #4
hkskyline
Hong Kong

HK's 'hot' dressers get a green dressing down
Teddy Ng
Hong Kong Standard
May 30, 2005

Hong Kong office workers need a thorough dressing down in the interests of the environment, a local green group said.

Friends of the Earth said workers should dress casually for the office in summer to help cut down the need for air-conditioning.

FOE also said the government and chief executive candidate Donald Tsang should take the lead and set the pace in sartorial environmentalism to keep indoor temperatures no lower than 25 degrees Celsius.

The group's statement comes after a survey of 17 office premises conducted by the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, which found indoor temperatures of most offices hovering around 21C and 22C, with the coolest a winter-like 17.6C.

It is common practice in Hong Kong to keep indoor temperatures low, with staff often having to wear jackets in summer.

FOE director Mei Ng said air-conditioning accounts for 60 percent of the city's electricity consumption in summer. She pointed out that every one-degree Celsius rise in indoor temperature equates to a 3 percent saving in electricity consumption.

"If everyone in Hong Kong does that [maintains offices and homes at 25 degrees Celsius], this alone will save about 330 million units of electricity and cut emissions of carbon dioxide by 2.5 million tonnes a year," Ng said.

"Just to capture that amount of carbon dioxide in a year would need a forest eight times the size of Hong Kong."

She urged people to make more use of electric fans, which consume much less power, in order to keep indoor temperatures at comfortable levels.

She said suits and ties are totally unsuitable for Hong Kong's hot and humid sub-tropical weather.

Office workers should dress casually, with unbuttoned collars and roll-up shirtsleeves, instead of turning up the aircons.

She said chief executive candidate Donald Tsang should shoulder more responsibility for environmental protection.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
Old May 31st, 2005, 12:04 PM   #5
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 70

You know, fans can be a very good substitute for air conditioners. During summer, I haven't switched the air conditioner on much, instead a fan and a few paper weights make things more than comfortable even if it's in the high 30's outside.

Also the City of Melbourne's new offices use this new design which is meant to save energy by using curved ceilings and automatic louvres as well as other measures.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 06:09 PM   #6
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The problem is Hong Kong's humidity. Summers are extremely humid (70%+) so the humidex easily reaches the 40C and beyond. It feels much different than 30C at 30% humidity - that actually is not too bad. Hence having fans around will not help since it just circulates the hot air.

Old May 31st, 2005, 06:13 PM   #7
dcb11
Blue Devil

Between 70 and 72 sounds perfect to me! Hong Kong gets pretty hot, and if I'm wearing a suit, I'd prefer to go into a cool office building and cool off quickly. 77 is recommended? I wonder where that number came from. Most people, at least in the US, would think that is too warm, especially for people dressed in suits and other heavy clothing.
dcb11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 01:41 AM   #8
A+

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
well below the recommended 25 degrees (77 Fahrenheit)
wow, with 25 degrees i would come i my swim suit.
A+ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 11:51 AM   #9
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by A+
wow, with 25 degrees i would come i my swim suit.
Same here! Right now it's 19C in my house and if it goes above 20 it's hot (for us anyway). On top ofthat our house is considered very warm by all our visitors.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 02:38 PM   #10
dcb11
Blue Devil

I have a feeling the recommended 77 degrees means "recommended as a balance between comfort and cost-cutting." People want the building at 70, the company wants no AC, so they decide on 77.
dcb11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 01:11 AM   #11
potto

Likes (Received): 1315

Japan vetoes suits in summer heat
By Jonathan Head
BBC News, Tokyo

Japan's Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi is leading the way
A wave of informality is due to sweep through Japan with a government campaign to persuade office workers to abandon their jackets and ties.

Offices are being asked to cut back on air conditioning this summer.

Temperatures and humidity rise to unbearable levels over the next three months in Japan's cities and so does the use of air conditioning.

The government thinks this is standing in the way of lowering its emissions of greenhouse gases.

So it has launched a campaign to get the country's salary-men to abandon their suits this summer.

Already some very strange sights have been spotted recently in Japan: a cabinet minister has been seen wearing a violently-coloured Hawaiian shirt and top business executives have been modelling casual wear on the catwalk.

Sweltering

At the moment Japan is well behind its agreed target under the Kyoto Protocol.

So it has asked businesses to raise the temperature in their offices to a sweaty 28 degrees, making the standard jacket and tie uncomfortably hot.

However many office workers say they would feel even more uncomfortable without the formality and anonymity of suits.

So, it has been left to the politicians and bosses to set a new trend - calling it "cool biz".

From this month, cabinet ministers are expected to embrace a slightly more casual look, wearing shirts designed with studs and pins to keep the collars suitably stiff.

Members of Parliament have been told they too can dispense with jackets and ties in most sessions.

But there is a discouraging precedent for this initiative - in 1994 then Prime Minister Tsutomu Hata donned what he called an energy-saving suit, a conventional jacket with the sleeves cut off at the elbow.

Few people followed his example, and his administration lasted just 64 days.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 03:37 AM   #12
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 875

Very interesting..

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 06:28 AM   #13
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb11
I have a feeling the recommended 77 degrees means "recommended as a balance between comfort and cost-cutting." People want the building at 70, the company wants no AC, so they decide on 77.
The company wants AC too, but just enough to keep the computer system from overheating. If the employees get cool too, so be it.
Old June 6th, 2005, 05:02 AM   #14
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Fight against energy waste heats up
Chester Yung, Hong Kong Standard
June 6, 2005

An estimated HK$1 billion would be shaved off electricity bills if people made it a practice of keeping the temperature in air-conditioned places at 25.5 degree Celsius.

Assistant Director of Environmental Protection Eric Chan based his estimate on the observation that air-conditioning accounts for one-third of electricity charges.

He also said that, in an effort to monitor progress, "energy wardens" had been chosen among staff at all government departments.

Speaking on World Environment Day, Secretary for the Environment, Transport and Works Sarah Liao said Sunday it is "ridiculous" that Hong Kong is regarded as "one of the coldest air-conditioned places on the planet" where office workers need to wear sweaters indoor during summer.

She backed calls from concern groups for temperatures to be kept no lower than 25.5 degrees to conserve energy and reduce air pollution from the city's coal-fired power stations.

"The generation of electricity directly leads to air pollution. The public can can also save money," said Liao.

Friends of the Earth said it is on the lookout for offenders and will publicize its list of "thermal criminals" during the summer.

The move is similar to one employed by the Shenzhen government, which since last year has issued warnings to public places that set their air-con below 25 degrees. Those who failed to comply with the rule will be publicly named.

Public acceptance and observation of the 25.5 degree practice would result in a "significant reduction of energy consumption, which can help to lessen the greenhouse effect and the release into the atmosphere of chemical refrigerants," said Chan.

He also said the government issued guidelines in October instructing all departments to follow the 25.5 degree guideline.

Friends of the Earth is following up on its "Don't be Cold, be Cool!" campaign on air-conditioning by calling on people to do their part by reporting to the environmental group if they felt temperatures at workplaces or public are too low.

Since launching its campaign last week, the group said it has received many reports.

It said Wan Chai district council chairwoman Ada Wong complained she felt as if she was being "frozen to death" in the Hong Kong Arts Centre cinema.

It called such a waste of energy a "thermal crime.".

Old June 6th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #15
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 2710

This is a big problem in Dubai too. Hotels, restaurants, shopping malls and even taxis are so cold that you need a extra clothing. Is common to see people with jackets even if outside is 45.

At home I keep at around 27, otherwise I'd catch cold. A relatively thick cover is needed to sleep also.

People who say that 25 is for swiming suit, obviously never been in a place with A/C for cooling.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:38 AM   #16
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 233

I say let the A/C's run cold. That's what they're invented for. I know whenever I'm at a hotel or motel I turn the A/C as low as it can go. When I went to Las Vegas I set the A/C to 60° (15.56C ), it got down to 65° (18.33C) in the room while it was 110° (43.33C) outside.

Last edited by FM 2258; June 9th, 2005 at 09:46 AM.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #17
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Buses and malls top list of icy Hong Kong air-con offenders
Sun Jun 26, 2005

HONG KONG (AFP) - Hong Kong's buses and shopping malls have been given the cold shoulder by a green group which says they are wasting energy by using their air-conditioners excessively.

Temeperatures on the Chinese territory's public transport and in its malls reached as low as 16 degrees Celsius (61 Fahrenheit),
Friends of the Earth Hong Kong said in a Sunday statement.

"Excessive air conditioning will only result in extra emissions of air pollutants and greenhouse gases, which could have been avoided," the statement said.

Earlier this month the group launched a campaign encouraging the public to register complaints about places that exceed the government-recommended 25.5 degrees Celsius (78 degrees F) limit in public buildings or vehicles.

It said of the 266 complaints received, 24 percent referred to bitter-cold buses and 20 percent to shivering shopping centres.

The green group said Hong Kong's interiors were the coldest in the world and pointed to a number of travel guides, including the hugely popular "Lonely Planet" series, which warn travellers of the arctic condtions in Hong Kong's buildings.

Ironically, one of the worst offenders was the city's tourism promotion office, which registered a chilly 19 degrees, Friends of the Earth said.

"I don't think we want to leave a bad impression on tourists for our extravagent energy consumption and our indifference to the environment," Hahn Chu Hon-keung, the group's environmental affairs officer, said in the statement.

The report comes amid rising concern about air and water pollution in the former British colony.

Last year saw a dramatic increase in the number of days when visibility was substantially reduced by smog. Travel bosses here were angered when articles in British newspapers last year labelled the city a health hazard.

The vast majority of the pollution drifts in from the heavily industrialised Pearl River Delta region of neighbouring southern China.