daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Old April 9th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #1
ChrisLA

Likes (Received): 1

San Diego The Beautiful

Yes San Diego is like a beautiful rose. I will admit I've never been all that crazy about this city. Not that I ever hated it, but living in LA I always felt it was just way too laid back for my taste. I looked at it as more of a resort where Angelenos go for a weekend getaway.

Well things are changing and the more I visit the more I'm begining to like her as a city. I still wouldn't want to live there, but its definetly a city underated I feel its worth visiting more often.

Oh btw I didn't use my car at all during my visit, I took the train and bus everywhere.

Starting out this is the where I stayed during my visit with my nephew. From here I could take the train anywhere as it was one of those TOD's in the Mission Valley section of San Diego. Btw thats my Honda, and thats where it stayed my entire visit (4 days)

Little Italy

Downtown, etc

I would never attempt driving one of these on the streets of Los Angeles. Talk about suicide.

In and around Balboa Park hood.

Old Town

Views of the city's skyline from Coronado Island

Misc: Some of these were taken from the train aren't the best but I think they are worth sharing. The rest are of the neighborhood where my nephew is staying. Its called Mission Valley a district within the city of San Diego.

The End
Good Day from Los Angeles

ChrisLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 9th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #2
pwright1

Likes (Received): 178

You know I have to comment twice myself Chris. I love that southern California architecture combined with those beautiful trees and landscaping.
You captured it all as usual. Awesome pics man.
pwright1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #3
neorion
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Nice photo tour. California ROCKS!!!
neorion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #4
Urbandeco

Likes (Received): 0

great pics

your pics are brilliant. great city...SD!
Urbandeco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #5
cmoonflyer
Mainland Sea & Sky

Likes (Received): 37

Nice city with awesome pics , attractive place !
We looked at mountains until dawn, and then when dawn came, it was too pretty for me - there was pink and blue and gold, in the sky, and on icy places, brilliant pink and gold flashes, and the snow was colored too, and I said," Oh," and sighed; and each moment was more beautiful than the one before; and I said, " I love you, Momma." Then I fell asleep in her arms.
That was happiness then.

- Harold Brodkey
cmoonflyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #6
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 161

Beautiful! San Diego sure changed alot since I left in 1994. I have two questions...

1. I saw two pictures of really small cars... I never seen that kind of cars like that before... We have smart cars here in Seattle but what's that in San Diego? San Diego's smart cars?

2. I noticed that San Diego's traffics are completely solved at these pictures and it is seen that most of people uses trolleys to get around... Am I wrong?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #7
Urbandeco

Interesting, what city do you like better Seattle or San Diego. No, this is not a vs. vs..just your opinion.
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #8
pwalker

Likes (Received): 5

San Diego is nirvana. It reminds of the L.A. in the 1950's...(though I was not alive then, but the city seems to be on the verge of something great, like LA back then).

Only downside, you will pay dearly to live in this city, unless you live in the far eastern suburbs.

Though the question was not meant for me, I prefer Seattle for it's overall vibe and development, but San Diego has the best weather in the United States no doubt! Perfect in winter, not too hot in summer. And, as a bonus, earthquakes seems to bypass this area!
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #9
chikid

Likes (Received): 10

Couldn't agree more. If I have the money when I retire, I would most definately move to SD. I am only 21, and it seems too laid back for me. I like fast paced, hustle and bustle cities, like Chicago, San Fran, L.A., but when I retire SD offers everything a retiree would want, perfect weather, the beach, Natural beauty, laid back. Everything except for the expenisve living that it there.
chikid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #10
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbandeco View Post
Interesting, what city do you like better Seattle or San Diego. No, this is not a vs. vs..just your opinion.
Good question. I lived in San Diego before and now I live in Seattle. The experiences are completely different. I was very young when I lived in San Diego and haven't been there for over a decade now. I need to come back to San Diego to see what's new with San Diego lately... One of reasons why I chose Seattle because Seattle reminds me alot of my old home, San Diego in many ways. I like both cities.
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #11
pwalker

Likes (Received): 5

Yes, Crazy, Seattle and San Diego are similar in SO many ways (except the weather)...

Both have a strong relationship with the sea (San Diego, the Pacific; Seattle with an inlet to the Pacific).

Both are similarly sized, San Diego city is bigger, but metro population not far apart, although Seattle/Tacoma/Everett is bigger.

Both have a strong military presence, (San Diego with the Navy, Sea/Tac with the Army and Navy).

Both are somewhat unpretentious, informal, and tolerant.

Both are close to a foreign border.

Both are livable metro areas where people have a lot of pride in their surroundings and wouldn't live anywhere else!

Just add about 300K for real estate in San Diego (perhaps the weather quotient), and these areas would be almost exactly the same!)

Last edited by pwalker; April 11th, 2007 at 05:55 AM.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #12
CrazyAboutCities

Right on!
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #13
FREKI
Pip pip pip boom..

Likes (Received): 1496

Great pics mate... SD is hella chill bro!

I really like San Diego... it's very beautiful and very relaxed...

I also like how fast you can get places there... a 5min drive can take you what would take almost an hour in Copenhagen... and there's always plenty of parking available ( but that goes for all of California )

The place you stayed looks VERY nice... I love that style!
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #14
indistad
leiden-yogyakarta

great pics.. thanks for the tour

Voltaire
indistad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:27 AM   #15
Urbandeco

visit to SD 1 week ..first week in June

Where are top sights to see, good eats etc...in SD?

thanks
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:34 AM   #16
goschio
Oh sweet lord Jesus

Likes (Received): 641

San Diego is probably the most beautiful city in the world!

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:30 PM   #17
ChrisLA

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbandeco View Post
Where are top sights to see, good eats etc...in SD?

thanks
Well I can only say the places I know as a visitor.

Downtown area around the Gas Lamp section, Petco Park (Baseball), Horton Plaza (downtown Mall),

Little Italy, Old Town, and Hillcrest neighborhoods all have nice places to eat and bars. Old Town and Little Italy are easy to reach and just steps from the trolley stations. Hillcrest is also easy to reach from downtown, but you need to take the bus. I highly suggest using public transportation, and there is a bus information center in downtown SD on Broadway that will have all the information you'll need. Also purchase a day, two or three day pass to make it easy and cheaper.

Balboa Park is really beautiful, it has the famous San Diego Zoo, many beautiful museums, and gardens. It is a must see, and its easy to get to from downtown by walking or bus.

SeaWorld, and San Diego Wild Animal Park are well worth a visit

Now as far as eating there is a nice Brazilian restaurant I believe its at either 1st or 2nd and Broadway across from Horton Plaza. Its good, and very fancy inside. Plus you can go for the all you can eat dinner ($40 I think). Sorry I can't remember the name, but trust me its not hard to locate.
Tijuanna, Mexico, you can take the trolley to the border and then walk over. Just make sure you take your passport to get back into the US.

If you just want to relax and enjoy the scenery, I would highly suggest taking the commuter rail (Coaster) from downtown SD Union Station over to Carlsbad (tourist area if you want to spend some time there) and back. You will see some of the most awesome beauty you can imagine. You'll get to see the ocean, and some very wealthy neighborhoods. All for about 8 or 9 dollars round trip, its very cheap to ride.

For beaches I'm not that familar with them so hopefully some else will chime in and offer their advice. Oh I almost forgot you have to visit Coronado (specifically Hotel Coronado), and its beaches. Its also easy to reach via the bus from downtown SD. From the bus there are some breathtaking views of the skyline as you cross over the bridge.

Last edited by ChrisLA; May 1st, 2007 at 01:36 PM.
ChrisLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:44 PM   #18
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 24

San Diego is looking fantastic. 3 years since my last visit. Can't wait to get back there again.
* In addition to the 61 percent who say they love the Big Apple, another 22 percent say they "like" New York. Fifteen percent have mixed feelings, and only 2 percent describe their feelings toward the city as "dislike" or "hate." - In record numbers, city's residents say they 'love' New York
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:45 PM   #19
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος

Likes (Received): 115

cool that small cars the city too...
Arpels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:53 PM   #20
Urbandeco

SD

I am actually renting a car whilst in SD so should I still take this train up to Carlsbad or is the drive also nice.

I was also thinking of driving up the coast a bit towards LA. Maybe to say Laguna Beach one day. Is it a nice drive going all the way up towrds that way or is it too far?

Any other cool side trips in the SD area? Can anybody explain the different beach areas of SD? thanks for the tips!