search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2017, 11:42 PM   #1821
elliot42

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
So, this is a very fantastical rendition of Seoul's, Incheon's, and the entire Sudogwon metro area's lines. I focused on providing a lot more connectivity between lines, as well as greatly densifying service in satellite cities and within Seoul south of the Han river. Also included (in grey) are intercity and express commuter lines, some of which mimic planned expansions for rail lines in the megalopolitan area (the GTX in particular), or are reflective of plans for the future, others still of which are just fantasy. I started with the schematic map from urbanrail.net, and embellished and modified heavily as I went along. This is the product of many years' work, but there are still some errors (missing station names, names covered by lines; this is all just kind of a fun thing for me, nothing super serious)

Given Korea's and Seoul's (in particular) population density, I think that rail ought to be far more dominant as a method of transit (along with walking and cycling). Tell me what you think.
], on Flickr
--while I love rail density, this seems like overkill; even Tokyo, with close to 30 million ppl in the metro, doesn't have a system this dense.

Don't get me wrong; I like it, and would love to live in a city where so much of it was accessible without ever stepping foot into the drivers seat.
elliot42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2017, 03:39 PM   #1822
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1326

It's now finished! The largest metro system posted here by far at 6646 km (4130 miles) long, also the one with the most stations at 1004 (beating Sygfride by just four). Now introducing the Aragonese Metro:

Phoenyxar liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 08:55 PM   #1823
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 983

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot42 View Post
--while I love rail density, this seems like overkill; even Tokyo, with close to 30 million ppl in the metro, doesn't have a system this dense.

Don't get me wrong; I like it, and would love to live in a city where so much of it was accessible without ever stepping foot into the drivers seat.
Well, the thing with Seoul is its somewhat odd topography. The city proper (i.e., Seoul itself, excluding Gyeonggi-do and Incheon) has a population of about 10 million spread out over 600 square-km, giving ~16,000 people per square-km. This is significantly ahead of Tokyo (measured at either the metropolitan or prefectural levels, with ~6,250 and ~2,660), and behind only Paris proper (~21,000) in the OECD.

Unlike either of these cities, large areas of Seoul are uninhabited mountains--Namsan, Bukhansan, Inhwangsan, Gwanaksan, etc. Additionally, the Han River carves a half-kilometer wide path through the city, substantially wider than the Seine. Finally, like the rest of the country, the entire Sudogwon area (that is, Seoul-Incheon-Gyeonggi) sits surrounded by mountains; there aren't substantial areas on which to sprawl and spread population density. Once again, this is a contrast to Paris in the Paris Basin and Tokyo on the Kanto Plain.

This should mean that, effectively, Seoul's population density is even higher than the official figure, as much of that 600 square-km has no one living in it, and the areas which do have people living in them tend to have more activity in them because, well, there's nowhere else to go, so to speak. Hence, a plausible justification for the rail density in the map.

Given that, I think my map is only a bit fantastical.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 04:56 AM   #1824
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1288

Source: http://sashat.me/2017/06/03/roman-roads/

Isek, Castle_Bravo, NickABQ, micro, beto_chaves liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 02:01 PM   #1825
CyanComet

Likes (Received): 0

[removed, accidentally double posted]

Last edited by CyanComet; July 17th, 2017 at 02:07 PM. Reason: whoops
CyanComet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 02:06 PM   #1826
CyanComet

Likes (Received): 0

Fantasy MTR Network Map

[removed]

Last edited by CyanComet; July 18th, 2017 at 04:29 AM.
CyanComet no está en línea   Reply With Quote