search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2014, 05:57 AM   #121
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3336

It depends on what you mean by "good". From what I read, it's good by US standards, but it could be much better.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:37 AM   #122
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Cars are very cheap if you buy older ones(like over 6 years old).

I don't really think people in those places you mentioned(with few exceptions) look down on those who use mass transit.
In the US they are. Move even just up to canada and they get much more expensive. $5+ a gallon gas (currently $1.40 a litre, equal to $5.30 a gallon), $1500 a year or more insurance, and other costs rack up quickly.

MARTA is one of the most underused metro networks in the world, it really isn't doing well for itself.

Public transit in Boston is generally good if you are heading downtown. If you aren't, you are out of luck. Inter suburban trips in the American and Canadian contexts are often impossibly long on public transit.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #123
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10214

Quote:
It depends on what you mean by "good". From what I read, it's good by US standards, but it could be much better.
Agree. Transit in Boston is better than most places in the US, but it's nowhere near good enough to get people out of their cars in a significant way. In north America, the list of cities with successful systems (in this regard) is short. New York, Mexico City, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington. Rider ship in these 6 cities is high in relation to their population. New York and Montreal have the highest rider ship relative to their populations.

In practically every other city, the transit system isn't good enough/extensive enough to get people out of their cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_by_ridership

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 24th, 2014 at 03:42 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #124
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8338

That list is only for rapid transit (subways et al) not other systems so it can skew things a little. It doesn't give a complete picture unless bus, tram or commuter train usage in each city pales in comparison to subway. Gives an indication though.

Do you have total system ridership per capita data at all? I'd be interested to see that.

Last edited by Svartmetall; April 24th, 2014 at 04:05 PM.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #125
LtBk

Maybe mode share?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_share
Old April 24th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #126
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Ah, I know that source. The place where a lot of data was sourced from has wildly shifting goalposts as to what makes up the urban area. For example, in Paris it consists of only the central section (hence the ridiculously low mode split for cars), whereas the urban area for other cities is more generously apportioned.

That said, it does show that Boston, for example, has a better modal split away from private cars than Toronto by this measure as well as 1% more public transport use for modal share despite the lower ridership figure. What urban area is counted for each area and where this data came from, goodness only knows in many cases.
Old April 24th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #127
BE0GRAD
∰f(W)dw≣∭f(r,φ,θ) drdφdθ

Likes (Received): 1127

Age of the car hasn't even gone away.

Robi_damian, PD liked this post
BE0GRAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #128
LtBk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Ah, I know that source. The place where a lot of data was sourced from has wildly shifting goalposts as to what makes up the urban area. For example, in Paris it consists of only the central section (hence the ridiculously low mode split for cars), whereas the urban area for other cities is more generously apportioned.

That said, it does show that Boston, for example, has a better modal split away from private cars than Toronto by this measure as well as 1% more public transport use for modal share despite the lower ridership figure. What urban area is counted for each area and where this data came from, goodness only knows in many cases.
It was best source I could find.
Old April 24th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #129
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
It was best source I could find.
Sorry I didn't mean to sound confrontational. What I was more trying to illustrate is the difficulty in comparing modes of travel between cities. If you use patronage alone, it does not necessarily correlate with modal share. Comparing modal share between cities is problematic due to where one draws the borders and also how accurately one can manage to measure each mode etc etc.
Old April 24th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #130
LtBk

Don't worry, I wasn't accusing of you being an ass.
Old April 24th, 2014, 11:37 PM   #131
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 7811

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
In practically every other city, the transit system isn't good enough/extensive enough to get people out of their cars.
And yet it once was. Didn't LA, for instance, have the largest tram network in America?
Old April 25th, 2014, 09:12 AM   #132
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 9991

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agree. Transit in Boston is better than most places in the US, but it's nowhere near good enough to get people out of their cars in a significant way. In north America, the list of cities with successful systems (in this regard) is short. New York, Mexico City, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington. Rider ship in these 6 cities is high in relation to their population. New York and Montreal have the highest rider ship relative to their populations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_by_ridership
From my own experience being in Toronto I'd say Boston is better than Toronto when it comes to walkability and public transit.

Boston's commuter rail map

Map of Boston "metro"

From what I saw in my brief stay in Boston (1 week) the buses are extensively used for commute, I saw packed buses of people in suits etc. Boston also has the Acela Express which is "high speed rail" all the way to Washington DC. A significant amount of people in Boston/Cambridge just walk for their commute (13-16%) not to mention cycle.

Svartmetall liked this post

Last edited by ukiyo; April 25th, 2014 at 09:30 AM.
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 04:48 AM   #133
LtBk

Ever notice the gap in the heart of Boston commuter rail network? There is no connection between the halves.
Old April 26th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #134
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Isn't that closed by the metro, though? Many cities have gaps in their commuter network like that - London for one! Nearly all national rail stations are isolated islands serving different parts of the country. They tend to be connected to one another by the tube (or buses). That's one thing I noticed about Philly, though. They have a tunnel for their commuter trains to link their regional rail network under the centre. That's quite nice - almost like an S-bahn set up in Germany with their rail tunnels (Frankfurt, Munich et al).
Old April 27th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #135
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5215

To get from North Station to South Station you have to change 2 times (!), even though its just 5 stations in sum. Looking just at the map above I suppose it is a major undertaking to go from the northern periphery to the southern periperhy by commuter rail. I guess thats not what the system is made for, but rather strictly for commuting to the centre and back again. If you live in the suburbs of an American city you are basically f****d without a car anyway.
Old March 31st, 2016, 04:47 AM   #136
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 811

Here are some aspects of the so-called "Age of the Car":

1. Freeways/expressways within a city with 10 or more lanes.
2. Huge parking garages attached to a city's largest buildings.
3. Buildings often get torn down to make room for parking lots.
4. A city's primary sports/entertainment venues have to be accompanied by huge parking lots.
5. Freeways/expressway interchanges within a city often have to occupy tens of acres.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 04:33 PM   #137
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 18270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
In the US they are. Move even just up to canada and they get much more expensive. $5+ a gallon gas (currently $1.40 a litre, equal to $5.30 a gallon), $1500 a year or more insurance, and other costs rack up quickly.
$1,500 a year for insurance? Is that just for young and inexperienced drivers? It can be that much or more here too but generally once you get past 21 with a couple of years driving record with no claims then the cost rapidly falls, I pay around £350 (c$660) annually to insure two cars.
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 04:30 PM   #138
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 9949

Like said already, some places are only now experiencing the age of the car. Here's taster of how it is to be a pedestrian on one of Bucharest's most central and most beautiful avenues:

https://www.facebook.com/cristian.va...4740985437178/

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities
alexandru.mircea está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 12:31 AM   #139
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 9949

Quote:
Fixing a Fractured Paris

In an effort to connect the historic city to its politically fragmented suburbs, Greater Paris is pushing an epic program of highway removal and transit revamps. But drivers fear that trying to fix one planning disaster could lead to another one.

This is probably the best piece I read in Eglish about Grand Paris and its dynamics. The car issue is indeed key.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities
alexandru.mircea está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #140
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 811

According to this article on Mail & Guardian Africa from December 2015 about carmakers like Nissan, Ford and Volkswagen studying production opportunities in Africa, vehicle ownership in Africa is estimated to be at less than 50 per 1,000 people, compared with about 800 per 1,000 people in the United States. It is said that demand for passenger cars in particular is growing in Sub-Saharan Africa, as road conditions and fuel quality improve and young populations with disposable income seek mobility.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote