daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 6th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #1
sloyne
Help find Madeleine

Likes (Received): 0

Olympics overtake council options!

I believe that the succesful London Olympic bid has now limited Liverpool City Council options for redeveloping the city. The massive amount of money needed to stage these games will have to be found from somewhere and I believe the Olympic funding has already begun with the governments rejection of the Merseytram proposal. But not just Liverpool, every other council outside of the metropolitan area of London will suffer from the funding deprivation from Westministers.

If the Liverpool council can't, or won't, understand these simple economics then Liverpool is doomed to stagnation, again. With the news from Singapore it is now imperative that Liverpool, not only allow for the building of the present proposals from the private sector but, should vigorously pursue other schemes from private enterprise to keep redevelopment moving forward and bridge the funding gap left by government, IMO.

Sponsored Links

Old July 6th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #2
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Location: Beside the lake, Beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing, In the Breeze
Likes (Received): 1

You're right there Sloyne, the Government's actions with Merseytram are only the start. I don't know why people keep going on about the Olympics. It is just a massive Keynesian project that will drain public resources from other areas, such as the provinces, which need regeneration far more than London.
All of this talk about the UK as a whole benefitting is a load of bollocks. How can it be such a great thing that we will gain some extra tourists for a 2 week period? What about after that? Cities Like Liverpool will be without the projects they might have had, London will (from experience) be left with a ridiculously expensive ghost town, and all of the retailers, pub owners, etc. can spend the extra cash they earned from visitors on the taxes to pay for the games.

Bollocks!
Blabbernsmoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #3
Jonny 5

The Olympic park is being built with local London taxes and lottery money.

So the games themselves shouldn't affect any other cites funding.
  • -----------------------------﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Jonny 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #4
tommygunn

at the end of the day london deserves the games and there is nothing we can do.
tommygunn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #5
General Zod
General Zod

I am for the London olympics in principal and hope it is a success - would love to go to see one of the key events. Aparently the plans they have are developing already run down areas in the east end with sustainable sports projects once the event passes. Let's hope this is true for the sake of all concerned. I can empathise with Sloyne and Blabbernsmoke on projects such as the Mersey tram and I would be suspicious if it was ditched following the Olympic bid success. The money earmarked for the MT project was coming from central government rather than the Liverpool tax payer. On the other hand, the government say the olympics will eventually earn 2 billion for the country. I hope they have learned the lessons from Athens where it left the Greek government with a huge bill when it was over.

www.generalzod.net/
General Zod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #6
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyne
I believe that the succesful London Olympic bid has now limited Liverpool City Council options for redeveloping the city. The massive amount of money needed to stage these games will have to be found from somewhere and I believe the Olympic funding has already begun with the governments rejection of the Merseytram proposal. But not just Liverpool, every other council outside of the metropolitan area of London will suffer from the funding deprivation from Westministers.

If the Liverpool council can't, or won't, understand these simple economics then Liverpool is doomed to stagnation, again. With the news from Singapore it is now imperative that Liverpool, not only allow for the building of the present proposals from the private sector but, should vigorously pursue other schemes from private enterprise to keep redevelopment moving forward and bridge the funding gap left by government, IMO.
This is completetly incorrect the money for the tram is there and would not be getting spent on the olympics, fair enough they have gone cold on the idea of trams and this is why they didn't build the inflation factor into the money that was there for us, but in the end the money is there for us and its up to us to find the rest of it...its drivvle to say the olympics will go ahead to the detrement of redevelopment of liverpool, it a completely different pot of money.
new no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:00 PM   #7
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

Hopefully Liverpool council will be working out ways to help and benefit out of Londons 2012 victory. Just think of the number of visitors to this country, and the boost to the economy. Billions are being spent on London anyway, and they are big enough to generate the extra required to fund the Olympic part of the investment. This is great for the whole country, not just in monetary terms.

Three cheers to the U.K. and Londons winning bid.
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #8
sloyne
Help find Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUXTAPOL
This is great for the whole country, not just in monetary terms.
I know this shouldn't even be on this board, however, can't help noticing the difference, between Canada and Britain, in national attitudes concerning the hosting of the Olympic Games. I well remember Toronto's bid and the divisions it caused in Canada. All the polls suggested that a majority of Canadians opposed the Toronto bid and the seperation was even greater in Toronto it's self.

Also, the year Manchester was awarded the Commonwealth Games a number of Canadian cities declined the offer to host the games. Among them were Ottawa, London and Hamilton, Ont. Winnipeg, Man. Regina, Sask. Victoria, BC. and Halifax, NS. Maybe we are less sports minded than we think we are.
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #9
Toadboy

Likes (Received): 998

Let's get this right, major capital spending on sporting infrastructure is a nailed on method or regenerating inner cities.

Has anyone mentioned this to NWDA?

I'm waiting for the 2 billion tube extention etc. to be announced while the regions are told 350k for bus stops or something is out of order.

Where there's a will there's a way, what's the magic formula?
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #10
kev

I must congratulate the London bid - I'm correct in thinking that Liverpool gave its support and advice to LOndon on how to submit a successful bid afer the Capital Of Culture bid was a success. Should regenerate the most deprived area in england anyway.

Just be wary over eating any French food in the future!
kev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #11
scouserdave
BANNED

Location: Liverpool 6, Halewood, Cantril Farm, Luton ferfuxake!

Quote:
I believe the Olympic funding has already begun with the governments rejection of the Merseytram proposal.
Wish you posted this little gem a few weeks ago. We could have all made a fortune at the bookies
scouserdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #12
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouserdave
Wish you posted this little gem a few weeks ago. We could have all made a fortune at the bookies
The odds on London were worth a bet a week ago, wish i had put a few pence on also
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:07 PM   #13
sloyne
Help find Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouserdave
You, obviously, missed the first two words of the quote you posted. The words "I believe" says it all. I don't believe anyone would take that as a definitive statement of someone in the know. Do you?
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #14
LiverOdysea
Est. 2005

Likes (Received): 4

Congrats London, Iam Going. But get a new LOGO
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:43 PM   #15
liverpolitan

Personally I think it's great for Liverpool. The Olympics will draw in millions of visitors, and by 2012 Liverpool will almost certainly be the premier regional centre for short breaks in England, and well placed to receive very large numbers of additional visitors.

But are any of the events coming to Liverpool? I heard the sailing was to be on the south coast, but will any of the football matches come to Liverpool? Or maybe boxing at the new centre on Kings Dock? Hopefully the Goverment will have the sense to ensure that at least one event comes to each of the major regional centres, to make it a national event.
liverpolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:50 PM   #16
scouserdave
BANNED

Location: Liverpool 6, Halewood, Cantril Farm, Luton ferfuxake!

Quote:
You, obviously, missed the first two words of the quote you posted. The words "I believe" says it all. I don't believe anyone would take that as a definitive statement of someone in the know. Do you?
Ouch!
Said only in jest Patrick.
Sorry
scouserdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #17
kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpolitan
Personally I think it's great for Liverpool. The Olympics will draw in millions of visitors, and by 2012 Liverpool will almost certainly be the premier regional centre for short breaks in England, and well placed to receive very large numbers of additional visitors.

But are any of the events coming to Liverpool? I heard the sailing was to be on the south coast, but will any of the football matches come to Liverpool? Or maybe boxing at the new centre on Kings Dock? Hopefully the Goverment will have the sense to ensure that at least one event comes to each of the major regional centres, to make it a national event.
The footy is to be played at Old Trafford
kev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:18 AM   #18
liverpolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev
The footy is to be played at Old Trafford
Disgraceful. Who decided that?
liverpolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:26 AM   #19
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpolitan
Disgraceful. Who decided that?
Wembley,St.James Park,Old Trafford and I think it's Villa Park.We get nothing as usual.What do you expect it's not like we're Champions of Europe.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:49 AM   #20
maggie

london taking investment from other cities

somehow i think london is more than capable of generating its own revenue to fund the games ie 8 pound congestion charge to help fund transportation, also the games are to be held in stratford in east london so has practically nothing to do with westminster council
maggie no está en línea   Reply With Quote