daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > British Columbia > BC Transportation & Infrastructure

BC Transportation & Infrastructure BC Transportation & Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Likes (Received): 373

Kamloops Transportation Discussion

New Funding From Building Canada for Highway Project Near Kamloops

KAMLOOPS, BRITISH COLUMBIA - The governments of Canada and British Columbia are pleased to announce $42.8 million in funding for a highway project near Kamloops, British Columbia under the Building Canada infrastructure Plan.

"This announcement shows that the Government of Canada and the Province of British Columbia are working together effectively to help move people and goods in British Columbia," said the Honourable Stockwell Day, Minister of Public Safety. "This funding will not only help promote economic development in this province but will contribute to the safety and efficiency of the highway system in British Columbia and the National Highway System as a whole."

This project consists of upgrading a 10.5 kilometre, 2-lane segment of the Trans-Canada Highway running through the Monte Creek to Pritchard area, 30 kilometres east of Kamloops. The upgrading to 4 lanes will bridge the gap between two existing 4-lane sections.

Of the total cost of the project, $42.8 million, approximately $16.7 million is being provided from the Building Canada Fund, a key component of the plan, and approximately $26.1 million is being provided from the Province of British Columbia.

"The Government of Canada is committed to improving transportation safety. Highway 1 has long been identified as a priority for upgrades, and this investment will complement the other important highway improvements that have been announced since the signing of the Building Canada agreement in B.C.," said Betty Hinton, MP for Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo.

"This priority project reflects our government's commitment to infrastructure investments and fosters a stronger economy and a cleaner environment," said the Honourable Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities. "As part of Building Canada, we are investing in infrastructure that enhances safety, improves the flow of goods and people across the country, reduces congestion and cuts commuting times."

"This project is an excellent symbol of our strong partnership with the federal government on key infrastructure projects across the province," said the Honourable Kevin Falcon, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure of British Columbia. "These Trans-Canada Highway upgrades will improve traffic flow, safety and efficiency through this important corridor, benefiting local residents, commercial traffic, and tourists."

"Converting this segment of the Trans-Canada Highway to 4 lanes will greatly enhance traffic flow," said the Honourable Kevin Krueger, MLA for Kamloops-North Thompson and Minister of Small Business and Revenue of British Columbia. "Having a continuous four lane highway will benefit all vehicles travelling though the area, increasing safety and reducing delays."

"Expanding this stretch of highway will ensure safe and efficient travel for commercial transport through the area," said Claude Richmond, MLA for Kamloops. "This project addresses the growth in passenger vehicle and heavy truck traffic through this corridor, preventing future traffic congestion."

Federal funding for this project comes from the Building Canada Fund under the $33-billion Building Canada plan. Funding approval is conditional upon the Province of British Columbia completing an environmental assessment under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act and undertaking federal aboriginal consultations pursuant to Section 35 of the Constitution Act.

Through its unprecedented Building Canada plan, the federal government will provide long-term, stable and predictable funding to help meet infrastructure needs across Canada. Building Canada will support a stronger, safer and better country. On November 6, 2007, the Government of Canada and the Province of British Columbia signed an Infrastructure Framework Agreement under Building Canada worth $2.2 billion for infrastructure projects from 2007 to 2014.
Somrach1 -this morning i felt like that Crane on top of me is going to drop that steel bar up on my head. lucky there's worker holding the steel bar. when i look up in to the sky i can see the crane tip is exactly on top my head.
Rhino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 12th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #2
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

IMMEDIATE ACTION FOR HIGHWAY #1 IMPROVEMENTS

Victoria, BC- An accelerated investment of $61.6 million for Highway #1 improvements will create jobs, stimulate the economy and improve road safety, announced Cathy McLeod, Member of Parliament for Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo, Kevin Krueger, MLA of Kamloops-North Thompson and Claude Richmond, MLA of Kamloops.

The funding will allow for two significant highway improvements:

The Pritchard to Hoffman’s Bluff project will widen 3 Kilometres of the Trans-Canada Highway from two lanes to four lanes and upgrade an intersection of Stoney Flats Road. This $19.5 million project is expected to create almost 200 direct and indirect jobs.

The Hoffman’s Bluff project will realign and widen 3.1 Kilometres of the Trans Canada Highway through Hoffman’s Bluff. This $42.1 million project is expected to create over 400 direct and indirect jobs.

“I have seen firsthand the tragedies that have occurred on this stretch of the Highway. As a former nurse, many times I was called out to attend to those who were involved in major car accidents. These significant improvements will save lives,” said MP Cathy McLeod.

“Our governments are actively investing in infrastructure improvements and expansion to support economic development in the Thompson Valleys,” says Kamloops-North Thompson MLA Kevin Krueger. “I am pleased to see this project benefiting our communities by providing much needed highway improvements.”

“This investment in the Trans-Canada Highway is good news for Kamloops,” says Kamloops MLA Claude Richmond. “Not only will this project bring jobs to the area, it will ensure a safe and efficient transportation network to serve industry, visitors and residents travelling through the region.”

The Government of Canada is accelerating and expanding recent federal investments in infrastructure with almost $12 billion in new infrastructure stimulus funding over two years. The Government of Canada has identified these projects as a priority for infrastructure funding consideration.

These highway projects are part of an overall $14-billion capital infrastructure program supported by the Province to create jobs and vital public infrastructure in every region of BC
Somrach1 -this morning i felt like that Crane on top of me is going to drop that steel bar up on my head. lucky there's worker holding the steel bar. when i look up in to the sky i can see the crane tip is exactly on top my head.
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #3
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Hillside Drive Extension

Starting May 5, 2008 contractors began earthworks and later blasted for phase one of Hillside Drive extension. Phase one is preparatory work for a road that will traverse the slopes north of Thompson Rivers University, from Summit Drive at the Guerin Creek Estates intersection to the north end of McGill Road. Opening of phase one of Hillside Drive extension to traffic is scheduled for 2009.

The City has notified residents in the area and Thompson Rivers University about the earthworks and blasting. At certain points in the construction, there may be traffic delays on the Summit Connector in the vicinity of the Guerin Creek intersection, and on McGill Road.

The project also includes relocation of the McGill Road composting and recycling depot, but the depot will remain in the vicinity of its current location. Signs at the McGill Road depot will explain the project.

In the interest of public safety, please note that the construction area is strictly off-limits to the public during the earthworks and blasting, May-October.
Old April 13th, 2009, 03:55 AM   #4
Spoolmak

Likes (Received): 29

When will that road be complete? And how wide is it going to be, it looks like it could be 6 lanes.
Spoolmak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

4 at the least and its supposed to be in June, I cant wait. The drive the new canyon will be really cool!!
Old April 21st, 2009, 05:02 AM   #6
Daguy

Likes (Received): 0

Any pictures of the alignment for Phase II of the extension? I couldn't find any mention of it on the Kamloops city website.
Daguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:24 AM   #7
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Kamloops AirPort

The construction mayhem, in all of its dusty, noisy, temporary-arrivals-area-inconveniencing-passengers glory began on July 25, 2008.

Kamloops airport manager Fred Legace throws the date out with an air of fatigue mixed with please-make-it-stop-soon hopefulness. A year of managing a $20-million-plus construction/renovation project will do that to you.

The light at the end of the tunnel is still hard to visualize; construction workers are buzzing throughout the terminal, building walls, painting, tiling, drywalling, wiring and finishing.

On the outside, the expanded areas of the terminal still await their sage-coloured Swiss Pearl cement composite panels.

But there is a shape to the expanded building now, a perimeter that sets the boundaries of what’s left to be done and where.

It’s not as simple as saying tear this out, put this here, make a wall there, add washrooms in this area. Throughout the renovations, the terminal building has seen the arrival of WestJet, the departure of Horizon Air and a rate of passenger use that has defied airline industry trends.

Take the latest airport-use statistics that Legace released Wednesday. They showed that for the month of April — typically a slow month for airlines — 18,917 people came or departed via Fulton Field. That’s up 11 per cent from April of last year.

“That’s in contrast to every other airport in B.C.,” he said.

Some of that is new passengers enticed by the seat sales that come with WestJet trying to generate customers and Air Canada Jazz trying to compete.

The reaction of those who haven’t been through the terminal before is one of irritation at the construction and inconvenience, while the seasoned travellers who are familiar with the building are happy to see it getting an upgrade, he said.

By July 1, most of the work should be done, except for some of the Canada Border Services space on the east side of the building, Legace said. By Aug. 1, everyone with a hammer or drill is supposed to be done.

So what does that $20 million buy you?

Well, on the tarmac side of the terminal, it gets you a longer runway able to handle direct flights to and from Toronto, particularly planeloads of skiers headed for the slopes in the region.

“The No. 2 resort in Canada is sitting here,” he said of Sun Peaks Resort. And Revelstoke’s new ski resort, while still a relative unknown, is getting rave reviews from those who’ve tried it, he said.

The tarmac improvements also included lighting, navigation aids and ripping up lawn to create an area where WestJet can park its staircases and ramps. A scattering of plugs was tidied up into four upgraded electrical boxes with varying voltage plug ins that can service the planes and related equipment along the tarmac.

But the big show is inside the terminal.

Arriving passengers disembark from their plane and follow signs into a temporary trailer where they will pick up their baggage. Then they travel along a plywood tunnel into the main building.

“It’s gotta be gone,” Legace said of the trailer, noting that to keep it secure, the windows are closed and there’s no air conditioning. That’s OK for now, but when the normal Kamloops heat arrives, it’ll be suffocating if it’s still in use.

Inside the building, they will get funnelled to domestic or international arrivals areas. The international area has its own baggage carousel and space for Canada Border Services staff to interview, search and even detain people if necessary.

In showing off what’s going on at the terminal, Legace looked down at the old cream and brown tiles laid in a precise herringbone pattern that still remain in the central area of the terminal.

He tried to find a match for them, but failed. Cutting tiles to the same size would leave sharp edges and just wouldn’t fit.

Unfortunately, those old tiles will go.

Legace regrets it because of the exactness with which the Italian man he was told laid them was able to put them in.

That kind of craftsmanship is hard to find.

But the old has to make way for the new, and with growth and expansion there sometimes comes loss.

Throughout the interior, thick glue-laminated beams of fir create architecture and warmth. The ceiling, when it gets put up, will consist of grids of stained mountain-pine-beetle wood. Both are made in Penticton.

Departing passengers will find themselves going through security and ending up in a bright new waiting area that, when completed, will have a place where laptops can be plugged in and put to work until planes are ready to take off.

The secure waiting area now features 200 new, light-blue seats and two wheelchair accessible washrooms, each with a $3,500 Dyson Airblade hand dryer that boasts turbine power to dry away dampness in 12 seconds. Vending machines offer drinks and packaged snacks.

And there will soon be two gates instead of one to lead out to the tarmac.

Not all that was old in the terminal was as attractive as the tile floor that Legace admired. The wide steel facade around the top of the exterior that one architect called “the Pizza Hut roof” will remain in some areas, but on the new parts is being mimicked with a more updated, streamlined style.

For some local finishing touches, Legace consulted with the Kamloops Indian Band. They are providing a dugout canoe and fish trap to be hung over the baggage carousels — Legace’s not sure how that will work yet.

And as if having 50 or so construction workers milling about the building working on different phases of a mutli-milliion-dollar project for a year wasn’t enough, the airport restaurant Toast closed down and Bread Garden is moving in.

Yet more renovations are going on there, with hardwood floor, paint and brown leather furniture being assembled inside. The restaurant is also adding an outdoor patio which has the cab drivers who line up out front quite pleased.

By the time it’s all finished, Legace said, the airport will be at the end of its 10-year plan. That means it’ll be time to create another plan to span another decade.

And he already has some items on that list: parking is maxed out for cars and planes, the maintenance building dates back to the 1960s, and the water and sewer will need updating.

At the same time, he noted, you don’t want to build infrastructure before it’s needed.

“It’s all part of growth,” he said.
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #8
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Noticed signs up for the Sing street improvments today.
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:21 AM   #9
Mr.A

Likes (Received): 4

YKA

When is the official opening of the new terminal?
Kamloops
Notification of Localizer Replacement
NAV CANADA, the country’s provider of civil air navigation services, wishes to inform its
customers that the Localizer facility at Kamloops Airport, British Columbia, will be replaced during
the fall of 2009, as part of the ILS Replacement Project.
The current Localizer supports instrument procedures at the Kamloops Airport. As a result of the
replacement project, the Localizer/DME and the Localizer/NDB C approaches will be unavailable
for approximately one month. During this period all other navigation aids at the airport will remain
operational to maximize airport accessibility.
The planned outage period for the Localizer is from 09 September to 24 September 2009.
Dates are subject to change depending upon weather conditions and contractor availability.
Actual dates of scheduled outage will be published via NOTAM. Pilots should carefully monitor
the NOTAM before and during the construction period for specific dates of the outage or other
related disruptions.
NAV CANADA regrets any inconvenience to its customers; however, the importance of this
navigation aid is recognised and every effort will be made to restore the Localizer facility at
Kamloops Airport as quickly as possible.
For further information, please contact:
Brian Stockall
Manager, Level of Service and Aeronautical Studies – West
NAV CANADA
Edmonton ACC
PO Box 9867
Edmonton International Airport
Edmonton, AB T5J 2T2
Phone: (780) 890-3024
Fax: (780) 890-4341
Email: stockab@navcanada.ca
Mr.A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:53 AM   #10
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

So its safe to say the official opening might be in October then.... sweet.
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #11
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

AIRPORT PROGRESS
STRONG PASSENGER NUMBERS AT FULTON FIELD WILL HAVE A FRINGE BENEFIT. 34-PERCENT MORE PEOPLE FLEW THROUGH THE KAMLOOPS AIRPORT LAST MONTH THAN IN AUGUST OF 2008. AIRPORT MANAGER FRED LEGACE SAYS ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE ARE PAYING THE 10-DOLLAR AIRPORT IMPROVEMENT FEE, WHICH IS GOOD -- BECAUSE THE AIRPORT NEEDS THE FUNDS FOR FUTURE UPGRADES. LEGACE SAYS AIRCRAFT MOVEMENT WAS UP 88-PERCENT LAST MONTH - YEAR-OVER-YEAR - MOSTLY DUE TO AIR TANKER ACTION ON INTERIOR FOREST FIRES.

*With the interior construction set to wrap up this week, I wonder if the Air Port is thinking about another expansion ? Maybe some new hangers?
Old October 25th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #12
Mr.A

Airport now officially open

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

more photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/3203142...7621720694951/
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #13
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

so , 5 days untill the new Canyon at Guerin Creek is opened! Im quite excited about this and I imagine everyone else is too. So was anyone else somewhat disapointed with the Sing street completion? I expected more. Also has anyone heard about the new pedestrian bridge over the south Thompson on East Victoria Street, and when its going to begin?
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #14
Anon2

Likes (Received): 0

five days? wow only 2.5 months late. too bad its only 2 lanes. thats just dangerous. a grade that steep should be at least 4 due to winter conditions.

i hated singh street at first. ive been complaining about it since they tore it up since i used it daily. now i still dont like it, but its not as bad as i thought. main complaint is in the winter when snow builds up the street will be too narrow for 2 cars to pass. before there were wide shoulders and now there are not.

the city claims although the lanes arent any thinner, they appear so and this will reduce speeding. well, the lanes effectively are, because before vehicles would have to use the shoulder, and now there isn't one. plus, since they leveled out the street and took away the natural speed bumps, its possible to speed as fast as you want. good job, city of kamloops!

havent heard anything about a proposed bridge, unless you mean the pedestrian bridge through the valleyview interchange.
Anon2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #15
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Thats the one in Valley View. I have been looking forword to this and I was thinking about starting a petition to the City to have funding saved to get the pedestrian bridge completed over Lorne St.
I was told it would only cost $3.5 Million to do it, And I believe it needs to be done.
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:07 AM   #16
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Connector Opens!
THE FIRST PHASE OF A MAJOR NEW ARTERIAL ROAD IN SOUTH KAMLOOPS OPENS ON THURSDAY. THE HILLSIDE CONNECTOR IS NOW COMPLETE FROM THE WEST END OF MCGILL ROAD - TO HILLSIDE DRIVE BELOW TRU. MAYOR PETER MILOBAR SAYS THE MULTIMILLION DOLLAR PROJECT IS PART OF THE CITY'S LONG TERM PLAN - AS GROWTH IN ABERDEEN IS EXPECTED TO SURGE. THE OPENING OF THE CONNECTOR WAS INITIALLY DELAYED BY PROBLEMS INSTALLING UTILITIES.
Old December 21st, 2009, 04:11 AM   #17
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Fulton Field First ( YKA )

THE MANAGER OF THE KAMLOOPS AIRPORT IS BEAMING TODAY, AFTER THE FIRST OFFICIAL USE OF NEW NAVIGATIONAL TECHNOLOGY AT FULTON FIELD. FRED LEGACE SAYS THAT AFTER PROBLEMS CO-ORDINATING RUNWAY APPROACHES INTO THE AIRPORT WITH A NEW LOCALIZER - IT WAS USED FOR THE FIRST TIME SUNDAY MORNING. AN AIR CANADA FLIGHT LANDED WITH THE AID AT 8AM. PROBLEMS BETWEEN NAV AND TRANSPORT CANADA HAD DELAYED THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE LOCALIZER. MORE DISCUSSIONS ARE PLANNED FOR MONDAY TO ADDRESS A LONG-TERM SOLUTION.

* Just for all of us that dont know what this is, its actually a really important thing, and makes flying into and out of Kamloops much safer then before!

An instrument landing system (ILS) is a ground-based instrument approach system that provides precision guidance to an aircraft approaching and landing on a runway, using a combination of radio signals and, in many cases, high-intensity lighting arrays to enable a safe landing during instrument meteorological conditions (IMC), such as low ceilings or reduced visibility due to fog, rain, or blowing snow.

Localizer
Modern localizer antennas are highly directional. However, usage of older, less directional antennas allows a runway to have a non-precision approach called a localizer back course. This lets aircraft land using the signal transmitted from the back of the localizer array. This signal is reverse sensing so a pilot may have to fly opposite the needle indication (depending on the equipment installed in the aircraft). Highly directional antennas do not provide a sufficient signal to support a backcourse. In the United States, backcourse approaches are commonly associated with Category I systems at smaller airports that do not have an ILS on both ends of the primary runway.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interim Airport Approach approved

NAV CANADA, TRANSPORT CANADA AND OFFICIALS WITH THE KAMLOOPS AIRPORT HAVE MADE SOME PROGRESS IN ESTABLISHING SUITABLE RUNWAY APPROACHES THAT CO-ORDIANTE WITH THE AIRPORT'S NEW LOCALIZER. AIRPORT MANAGER FRED LEGACE SAYS AN APPROACH OVER KAMLOOPS LAKE WAS APPROVED ABOUT MID-AFTERNOON TODAY. BUT THE APPROACH IS AT A MUCH HIGHER ALTITUDE THAN ANYONE ANTICIPATED. LEGACE SAYS THE GOAL IN COMING WEEKS IS TO WORK WITH NAV CANADA TO REDESIGN THE APPROACH AND GET A MUCH LOWER ALTITUDE APPROVED. LEGACE SAYS THE GROUP WILL RECONVENE MONDAY TO ESTABLISH AN APPROACH OVER THE CITY. HE SAYS THAT WILL LIKELY BE AT A HIGHER ALTITUDE THAN DESIRED AS WELL - AND A LONG TERM GOAL IS TO CONVINCE THE GOVERNMENT AGENCIES THAT A LOWER ALTITUDE APPROACH CAN BE ACHIEVED AND STILL BE SAFE. LOWER ALTITUDE APPROACHES WERE SET TO BE PUBLISHED YESTERDAY, BUT WERE PULLED AT THE LAST MINUTE.

* So does this mean the days of watching jets comming in just over the river are gone? And will this also alow for a new height restriction to the N/S if air craft is forced to land from a higher altitude?

Last edited by Rhino; December 21st, 2009 at 04:17 AM.
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:49 PM   #18
Mr.A

YKA navigation

FRUSTRATING , after all that planing still we have the government dragging their feet. This is the time we need the navigation aid the most, so let's get on with it!!!!!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:48 AM   #19
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Amen, its been a gong show for far to long now.
Old December 30th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #20
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

So I take it no one has found out what is being built at the top of the Mcgill canyon eh?