search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2017, 10:25 AM   #12481
Qantas743
Proud Victorian!

Likes (Received): 577

I never call it until it's officially announced but sounds promising!

We're slowly ticking all the long awaited airlines/destinations off the bucket list so I don't know what else could be on the agenda.

Over the next 5 years I can see:

- American Airlines/LAX
- Jet Airways/BOM
- Qantas/DFW
- Korean/ICN (maybe)
- El Al/TLV
- United/SFO (maybe)
Qantas743 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2017, 01:33 PM   #12482
soorox
メルボルン | 진짜야?

Likes (Received): 989

I'll also add:

- Ethiopian (ADD)
- Cebu Pacific (MNL)
- VietJet Air (SGN)
- Vietnam Airlines (HAN)
- Thai AirAsia (DMK)
- Indonesia AirAsia (DPS, CGK)
- Batik Air Indonesia (DPS, CGK)
- Hawaiian Airlines (HNL)

MEL has grown so much and I think for MEL, in the East Asian region it's starting to be a core destination. With an increase in tech/E commerce companies being based in MEL and having the Asia Pacific HQ in Melbourne we will definately see this sector have an effect more in Asia with the likes of Alibaba pushing demand.

We will see two (or more) carriers on core Asian routes, we already see it in SIN, HKG with Tokyo seeing two carriers by the end of this year. I think the likes of NH, BR, OZ will also see value in adding MEL to their network in the future too as demand picks up. IMHO MEL is now a question of when rather than IF for Asian carriers.

potato380, Mischk liked this post
soorox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017, 02:47 PM   #12483
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 382

I think they key had to be sustainable growth.

New carriers are great to see, but it is important to remember that it needs to continue to grow the market at sustainable yields for airlines to stick around. EY is a great example of an airline that grew its capacity very quickly into MEL and has since announced it will be retreating quite considerably from later this year.

A new airline is great, although adding another to the KUL route is likely going to cause some challenges for MH. They have reportedly already been finding some issues in their Australia/NZ operations lately and more competition won't help it much.

Overall though, the key markets that I would like to see are:

San Francisco - Tech industry connection and another US airport to transfer at rather than LAX
Seoul - Growing market but still highly seasonal. Another example of a route that came and went as KE couldn't make it work last time.
Mumbai / Bangalore - Both would be great additions to grow the non-stop connectivity into India. They both also have the potential to offer significant corporate demand as the market continues to develop.

All 3 likely have some challenges to sell the case to airlines in the medium term but they can bring significant potential with the right offering.
Old June 25th, 2017, 11:30 PM   #12484
soorox
メルボルン | 진짜야?

Likes (Received): 989

I would love to see more connections to India, despite the country being a large growing power in the region, it lacks the drive to introduce new air links compared to China. Hopefully the rumour with 9W will happen and we do see connections to BOM, however we also have to remember that UL is also trying to attract a large number of connecting traffic onwards to India which also adds pressure for not only existing hubs like KUL, SIN and BKK but for new direct flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvern3144 View Post
So Malindo will be foreign carrier #32.

Who's next!?

Maybe MEL will hit 35 by early next year?
Well according to plane spotter criteria, we have 33 foreign carriers, including FM!
Old June 26th, 2017, 04:19 AM   #12485
Eco-rat

Likes (Received): 861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
I think they key had to be sustainable growth.

New carriers are great to see, but it is important to remember that it needs to continue to grow the market at sustainable yields for airlines to stick around. EY is a great example of an airline that grew its capacity very quickly into MEL and has since announced it will be retreating quite considerably from later this year.

A new airline is great, although adding another to the KUL route is likely going to cause some challenges for MH. They have reportedly already been finding some issues in their Australia/NZ operations lately and more competition won't help it much.

Overall though, the key markets that I would like to see are:

San Francisco - Tech industry connection and another US airport to transfer at rather than LAX
Seoul - Growing market but still highly seasonal. Another example of a route that came and went as KE couldn't make it work last time.
Mumbai / Bangalore - Both would be great additions to grow the non-stop connectivity into India. They both also have the potential to offer significant corporate demand as the market continues to develop.

All 3 likely have some challenges to sell the case to airlines in the medium term but they can bring significant potential with the right offering.
Why are they not promoting Korean tourism? I enjoyed my stay in Korea and more Australians should go. Start with all the TV shows and pop music. DMZ is also good for a day.
Eco-rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 10:11 AM   #12486
michael_n_

Likes (Received): 465

I agree with MA but isn't MEL EY's best route in terms of PAX? I know it was.

Sydney and Brisbane got EY first and although others know better as I don't have recent stats, I understand both cities even with different equipment are heading for increases from EY. Stepping down from A380 surely does not mean they are not doing ok.
Old June 26th, 2017, 10:38 AM   #12487
log0008

Likes (Received): 509

I wouldn't say EY was doing poorly, it just wasn't doing as well here as it is in Sydney. Melbourne has less premium demand and also has a larger drop off during the offseason.

This may become a problem on other routes as well, 'tourism' lead economy demand is growing faster than premium business demand.

Creator of the Melbourne Development Map, covering most approved and under construction towers 100+

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/em...nbtdavEYnfFSoQ
log0008 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 12:36 PM   #12488
potato380

Likes (Received): 65

JQ2 stopped in NAN on it way from HNL to MEL. Anybody know why?
potato380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 02:56 PM   #12489
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by log0008 View Post
I wouldn't say EY was doing poorly, it just wasn't doing as well here as it is in Sydney. Melbourne has less premium demand and also has a larger drop off during the offseason.

This may become a problem on other routes as well, 'tourism' lead economy demand is growing faster than premium business demand.
EY certainly did build impressive volume numbers during its ramp up but I have been told that yields did suffer.

As you rightly point out, the demand wasn't at a level that they needed to sustain that level of premium capacity in particular and its latest moves allign well with a need to better suit the market.

Whether or not at some point MEL gains the A380 back, even if seasonally, I guess we will wait and see. It is telling though that EY have cut back on their First and Business chauffeur car service, which is even more of a disincentive for some pax to choose them.

In the meantime though they have given some momentum to QR with their impending A380 service. Pity that QR have some issues currently, but overall the A380 will give them a boost, particularly with premium customers.

michael_n_ liked this post
Melb_aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 11:03 PM   #12490
Airvan00

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato380 View Post
JQ2 stopped in NAN on it way from HNL to MEL. Anybody know why?
Medical
http://www.thejetstarsource.com/

potato380 liked this post
Airvan00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 05:32 AM   #12491
michael_n_

Likes (Received): 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
EY certainly did build impressive volume numbers during its ramp up but I have been told that yields did suffer.

As you rightly point out, the demand wasn't at a level that they needed to sustain that level of premium capacity in particular and its latest moves allign well with a need to better suit the market.

Whether or not at some point MEL gains the A380 back, even if seasonally, I guess we will wait and see. It is telling though that EY have cut back on their First and Business chauffeur car service, which is even more of a disincentive for some pax to choose them.

In the meantime though they have given some momentum to QR with their impending A380 service. Pity that QR have some issues currently, but overall the A380 will give them a boost, particularly with premium customers.
MA thanks for clearing that with you view I read a few wild things not on SSC about it but that makes sense.
Old June 27th, 2017, 10:31 AM   #12492
JQ1

Likes (Received): 109

Melbourne Airport passenger performance May 2017
Jun 26, 2017

http://melbourneairport.com.au/about...-may-2017.html

Key points
· International passenger traffic grew 7.8 per cent
· Domestic passenger traffic grew 2.0 per cent
· Japan Airlines announced new daily service to Tokyo
· SriLankan Airlines announces daily service to Colombo
· Jetstar launched non-stop service to Ho Chi Minh City
Melbourne Airport recorded year-on-year increases in both domestic and international passenger numbers for the month of May 2017.
The airport welcomed more than fifty thousand new international passengers during May, with overall international passenger growth of 7.8 per cent.
Domestic traffic also grew, adding 2.0 per cent or just under forty thousand additional domestic passengers for the month.
Since 1 July 2016 the airport has seen total passenger growth of almost 3.8 per cent, adding more than 1.1 million passengers in financial year 2017 compared to the same time in FY16.
Melbourne Airport CEO Lyell Strambi said the continued addition of new international services was a key driver of growth both in May and throughout the year to date.
“May delivered a full month of Virgin Australia’s Melbourne to Los Angeles service, which proved extremely popular with both Victorian and international travellers.
“We also welcomed the launch of Jetstar’s Ho Chi Minh City service – the first non-stop service from Melbourne to Vietnam by an Australian airline – and we celebrated the announcements of daily services by both Japan Airlines and SriLankan Airlines.
“These non-stop services direct to destinations of choice are exactly what Victorian travellers have been demanding from international airlines.
“This is fantastic news for Victorian travellers with more destinations than ever before now available via a non-stop flight from Melbourne Airport – and it’s a huge boon to the state economy with thousands of additional international visitors entering Victoria every week.
“That’s why we’re working hard to build the necessary facilities to accommodate this growth, with critical projects such as the completion of our T4 Pier F this month, and the ongoing construction of our eighth international baggage carousel.
“It’s vitally important that the airport continues to facilitate the growth of Victoria’s visitor industry, and not become an artificial constraint due to a lack of capacity,” said Mr Strambi.

Passenger figures for May 2017:
Passengers
May 2017
May 2016
Growth (%)*
International
7.8%
Domestic
2.0%
Total (ex transits)
3.5%

*monthly percentage growth compared to May 2016

Passenger figures for July 2016-May 2017:
Passengers
July 2016-May 2017
July 2015-May 2016
Growth (%)†
International
8.6%
Domestic
2.0%
Total (ex transits)
3.8%

judd77 liked this post
JQ1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 10:46 AM   #12493
Qantas743
Proud Victorian!

Likes (Received): 577

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ1 View Post
“That’s why we’re working hard to build the necessary facilities to accommodate this growth, with critical projects such as the completion of our T4 Pier F this month, and the ongoing construction of our eighth international baggage carousel.
Wow aren't we lucky - a whole baggage carousel!!!

I'll give Strambi credit in his ability so far to attract new services and airlines but he's doing a pretty piss-poor job of building and expanding the facilities needed to accommodate them.

I did a pick up from Tulla at 8.30pm last night and the traffic in the forecourt area was absolutely horrendous.

EK413 liked this post
Qantas743 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #12494
EK413

Likes (Received): 1833

Yes so exciting 1 x International carousel!
Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM   #12495
potato380

Likes (Received): 65

Melbourne Airports (MEL & AVV) - Pictures/News/Discussion

Ignoring the “pack em in” mentality of current MEL management, we might have another airline to “pack in”.

According to Airlineroute’s Twitter Lucky Air has applied for a 2x weekly Kunming-Nanjing-Melbourne A330/A350 service from January next year. Thank god more Chinese airlines are using non-A330s now to mix it up a bit.

https://twitter.com/airlineroute/sta...32626496180225

log0008, Qantas743, judd77, soorox liked this post

Last edited by potato380; Yesterday at 07:32 AM. Reason: Change from “planning” to “applied for”
potato380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM   #12496
jarden

Likes (Received): 688

Everyone will soon be packed in like a sardine can!

michael_n_ liked this post
jarden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:40 AM   #12497
Planks & Sticks
Rabid Furry Skier

Likes (Received): 747

Was just having a browse through Flight Radar and saw that QF93 (Melbourne to Los Angeles) is in a holding pattern outside of Sydney. I'm now curious as to what happened to make it sit over the ocean there.
Planks & Sticks está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:41 AM   #12498
log0008

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planks & Sticks View Post
Was just having a browse through Flight Radar and saw that QF93 (Melbourne to Los Angeles) is in a holding pattern outside of Sydney. I'm now curious as to what happened to make it sit over the ocean there.
Some kind of indiction light according to Qantas, flight is diverting to Sydney expected to land in about 30mins. Currently fuel dumping

Creator of the Melbourne Development Map, covering most approved and under construction towers 100+

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/em...nbtdavEYnfFSoQ
log0008 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote