SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Cardiff Capital of Wales, United Kingdom

122K views 875 replies 82 participants last post by  diddyD 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is a photo page of random pictures of Cardiff that i have taken and will take.

Cardiff is the Capital city of Wales, one of the 4 countries that make up the UK.

It has an official population of 325,000 but over 1 million people live within 20 minutes of the city. Its a city with a large mix of modern and old, with a very compact city center, and is a very green city with large parks and a wonderful waterside.

map by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

collage by stephenanstiss, on Flickr​

See less See more
#226 ·
lol, if i turned around you could see the site of the new museum they are going to build, right next to the production studios.

heres the Christmas light, missed the switch on, but it was a really good night. Lots of people, the craft stalls were busy and lots of street entertainers (the life sized polar bear walking up one of the main shopping streets came as a surprise!). Personally i think something a bit more traditional would have been better, but at least its a consistent theme throughout the city center.

PB100746 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

PB100734 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

PB100744 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

PB100743 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

St Johns church in the background, the oldest building in the city center outside the castle

PB100739 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

PB100740 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

#231 ·
I have one criticism. I hate Xmas tree lights put on vertically--looks like they have been thrown on!
Me too, im sure thrown on isn't too far from the truth. Also simple colour lights would be far more effective IMO.

Cardiff seems such a "comfortable" city, if that makes sense.
I know what you mean, its not got alot of the huge old architecture you find elsewhere, but then it doesn't have the oposite end of the scale you find in other cities as well. The word i would describe Cardiff is 'pleasant'.

PB100728 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

PB100727 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

PB100725 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

PB100724 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

#243 ·
Was in Sydney and Melbourne a few years ago around christmas, the problem that i found is christmas is marketed as a snowy, twinkly winter event, which contrasts sharply with the middle of summer in the southern hemisphere. I thought the city did quite well, and i'd give up half the lights for a Myer christmas window display! Has this years opened yet?

Thanks, just checked it, it's indeed right. Beautiful Autumn pictures. :applause:
Thanks

Some fo the castle

PB130881 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

PB130884 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

PB130896 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

PB130898 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.