daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Old April 4th, 2014, 04:01 AM   #1481
rlw777

Likes (Received): 36

I am really starting to like Miami's skyline. I used to think it was really kitschy but now it feels like it's getting a real urban / people don't just vacation here feel.
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 4th, 2014, 04:16 AM   #1482
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 8802

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I am really starting to like Miami's skyline. I used to think it was really kitschy but now it feels like it's getting a real urban / people don't just vacation here feel.
Give it at least until the end of this decade.

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #1483
rlw777

Thought I would throw these up here... just the major projects around NYC there are many many more individual projects... and I forgot to add the WTC mega project.

Midtown

Outside of Manhattan

JuanPaulo, TowerVerre:), KlausDiggy, Nexis liked this post
Old April 4th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #1484
rlw777

I should also add I used images from
HERE

QuantumX liked this post
Old April 10th, 2014, 03:13 AM   #1485
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 8802

Brickell CityCentre under construction and points beyond.

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:47 AM   #1486
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 11804

Here's a nice peek into London's future for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants1254 View Post

Thought I would upload my latest 3d sketch up images of London that I have been working on for a while. As you can see Iv still got ALOT to do especially to the City and the surrounding area but for what are worth I thought I would share the progress I have made with them so far.

I'm still waiting to make a large number of updates to the Canary Wharf area with Heron Quay West, Millharbour Village, Quay House, Meridian Gate, Hertsmere Tower, Thames Quay and Millharbour Quarter. Cant wait to update them. Anyway enjoy.

Old April 11th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #1487
mthmchris

Likes (Received): 30

'Best Skyline by 2025' is a bit tough, for a couple reasons:

1. There's a world of difference between 'Best Skyline' and 'Most Improved Skyline'. Over the next 11 years, the latter title would no doubt go to Shenzhen, Tianjin, or perhaps an honorable mention to Guangzhou. But will these cities unseat, say, Hong Kong? Tough to say.

2. 'Best skyline' means different things to different people. Many people like their skyline compact, as if to fit neatly on a postcard. Some prefer a sea of highrises. Here's the question, I suppose: for you, is Shanghai's skyline this... or this?

If you're the type of person that would say the latter, I guarantee by 2025 you will find Shenzhen's skyline one of if not the best in the world. The amount of development going on here is insane. If you prefer a tight, 'iconic' skyline... well, that's more of a question mark.

Anyway, by 2025, my list:

1. Hong Kong. Almost the default by topography alone. Combine the ocean and mountains with masterpieces like the Bank of China tower - I don't think it's possible to have a more compelling skyline.

2. Shanghai. Liujiazui is already awe-inspiring. Add in the Shanghai Tower? Incredible. Some people will whine, "there's no plots left"... what else do you want?

3. New York. New York and Chicago have an advantage over Chinese cities in that their towers come from a mix of time periods, which I would argue is almost inherently most 'interesting'. By 2025 Empire State will be closing in on its centennial, and it would still dominate most skylines.

4. Guangzhou. Guangzhou East is insane, and has the benefit of the Pearl River cutting through it, which makes the skyline interact with the city in a way that, say, NYC and Shenzhen don't.

5. Chicago. I doubt the spire will ever get built (would be nice), but the skyline honestly doesn't require it.

6. Shenzhen. Yes, it's spread out in clusters. But each one of those clusters (especially by 2025), could likely make the top ten in their own right, which is what makes the skyline so damn impressive. Like Liujiazui, street-level can be a bit 'meh' in places (who had the brilliant idea to put a convention center and a superhighway right downtown?), but in terms of sheer scope it's already tough to beat.

7. Dubai. Everyone has an opinion, but it is a city with very clear strengths and weaknesses. Another city that just... fails on street level. But if we're just discussing skylines? Yes, sure, it looks like a static museum of supertalls. But those exhibits are fantastic.

8. London. Phenomenal city, and honestly while the 'skyline' might not even be as good as, say, La Defense... I'm a total sucker for this ascetic. You get it a bit in Guangzhou, Shenzhen, and Hong Kong - old, densely pack low-rises with a massive tower rising above. You get a sense of scale that's lacking in the picture perfect snapshots of Shanghai or even New York. With all the development happening, in the next few decades it's going to begin to be what defines London - gorgeous, densely packed old buildings with a highrise towering above.

9. Toronto. I've never been to this city but browsing through the thread you guys have convinced me. But depending on how the next 11 years develop, Tianjin or Chongqing could easily be up there.

10. Pittsburgh. I know this is completely incorrect, and you all would be right to disagree with me. There's a couple stirrings and projects happening in Pittsburgh, but to put it in the top 10 would be insane. Unfortunately, I'm completely biased - as my hometown, it's what got me liking skyscrapers in the first place.
"It may be that we have become so feckless as a people that we no longer care how things do work, but only what kind of quick, easy outer impression they give. If so, there is little hope for our cities or probably for much else in our society. But I do not think this is so."

TowerVerre:), the spliff fairy liked this post

Last edited by mthmchris; April 11th, 2014 at 11:25 AM.
mthmchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:50 PM   #1488
lochinvar

Likes (Received): 108

Pittsburgh? You wish. U.S. Steel has been dead for decades.
lochinvar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 12:04 AM   #1489
chennaisky
Da Boss

Likes (Received): 136

This is the World Tallest Hindu Temple at 210 m , Look out for Indian Cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by India101 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by India101 View Post
Vrindavan Chandrodaya Mandir
Vrindavan, Uttar Pradesh

TowerVerre:) liked this post
chennaisky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #1490
n20

Likes (Received): 1232

chennaisky, that's only one 200 m skyscraper. Seeing that 2025 is only 11 years away, Mumbai is the only Indian city that has a real shot at this list.

Hong Kong, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Chongqing, Shenyang and other Chinese cities will likely dominate this list.

NYC, Chicago, Toronto and possibly Miami, Panama City or Houston from the Americas.

Dubai, Manila, Bangkok, Tokyo, Seoul, KL, Jakarta etc are other top contenders.

Moscow, London and Paris have small but distinctly elegant skylines already.

TowerVerre:), Vakai liked this post

Last edited by n20; April 12th, 2014 at 12:48 AM.
n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 11:13 AM   #1491
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by n20 View Post

Moscow, London and Paris have small but distinctly elegant skylines already.
You've forgotten Frankfurt, one of the largest skylines in Europe with 5 buildings over 200m and 14 buildings over 150m.

photos/kimdrotz on Flickr

by Thomas Reitzel on Flickr

Last edited by KlausDiggy; April 12th, 2014 at 11:27 AM.
KlausDiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 02:17 AM   #1492
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 3580

Contenders

Asia: Shenzhen, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Chongqing, Tianjin, Manila, Jakarta, Tokyo, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Mumbai, Dubai, Bangkok

America: New York, Chicago, Toronto

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 15th, 2014 at 02:25 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM   #1493
wino

Likes (Received): 534

AFTER 10 YEARS....

Bonifacio CBD, Manila

in 2004, The CBD is still empty.
(take note, the circular road at the center has been changed to parallel roads. )

2014 street view (construction still visible all over the place)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossboneka View Post
another 10+1 years before 2025!

TowerVerre:), KlausDiggy liked this post

Last edited by wino; Yesterday at 09:48 PM.
wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline