SkyscraperCity Forum banner

KUALA TERENGGANU (كوالا ترڠڬانو) | Terengganu | Royal & State Capital City

5M views 27K replies 456 participants last post by  nazrey 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi..this new topic is especially only to discuss/post comments/upload pics and anything about/related to KT city.
Since there is no single topic for KT..rite?:)

#91 ·
City status for KT on Jan 1
Monday April 30, 2007
By R.S.N. MURALI

KUALA TERENGGANU: Kuala Terengganu will be elevated to a city on Jan 1 next year and be known as the Heritage Water Front City, Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Idris Jusoh said here.

The news of the elevation of the town, discerned by many to be a sleepy hollow, came just a day before the local folk witnessed the coronation of their state Ruler as the 13th Yang-di Pertuan Agong.

Idris said Kuala Terengganu would achieve city status in January but the final decision on the exact date hinges on a decision by Federal Government.

“We have surpassed all the criteria to attain city status,” he said after chairing the weekly state exco meeting at Wisma Darul Iman on Wednesday.

“We in fact have everything in Kuala Terengganu – islands, rivers, beaches and lakes, that are a microcosm of Malaysia,” he said.

Idris said the town had qualified in terms of other perquisites such as being the city administrative district, commercial hub and having a local population estimated at about 300,000.

“Furthermore, the town is witnessing tremendous fiscal development under the rule of the Barisan Nasional Government,” he stressed.

Idris said the town also saw a paradigm shift when Higher Educational Institutes and Inno-vation Centres began mushrooming here, which eventually contributed to the influx of people from other states.

However, Idris said the only setback was that the revenue generated by the local government was still considered minimal to attain a city status.

“But this is not seen a hindrance as the state allocates a substantial sum for the development of Kuala Terengganu.”

“Even Kuching Utara and Alor Star attained city status with lower revenue compared to Kuala Teren-gganu,” he said.

Idris said he had directed the State Secretary to delineate the boundaries of Kuala Terengganu to separate the areas under the purview of the city council and under district councils so that development could be concentrated.

#93 ·
Hi, I'm new here but have been following you guys off an on because I am very interested in the development of Kuantan. Anyway, Kuantan will be Malaysia's 12th city this July.

Bernama.com
Malaysian National News Agency

Kuantan, A City In Waiting
Features
February 12, 2007 10:46 AM

A Special Report By Tuan Sharifah Shahaini

KUANTAN, Feb 12 (Bernama) -- Kuantan, a town noted for its sustainable development, beauty and cleanliness, is to emerge as a city this year.

Kuantan has fulfilled the two most important requisites to become the nation's 12th city. Firstly, its population is more than 450,000 compared to the minimum requirement of 250,000.

Secondly, the Kuantan Town Council's (MPK) annual revenue up to last November amounted to RM84 million, above the minimum of RM80 million set for a city.

Moreover, Kuantan also enjoys many international-class facilities like sports facilities that can accommodate Asian-level tournaments and a host of other highly rated facilities like hotels, ports and highways.

MPK president Datuk Muhammad Safian Ismail said MPK "is ready to face the challenges ahead when Kuantan is declared a city, especially in providing the best services to the public".

"Kuantan is ready to emerge as a city that maintains sustainable development and provides excellent services, but hopes that its residents will cooperate wholeheartedly to ensure Kuantan emerges as a prestigious city," he said in an exclusive interview with Bernama.

He anticipates that Kuantan will achieve the city status around next July but the final decision on the exact date hinges on the decision of the Rulers Council that will approve the proposal to elevate Kuantan to a city.

FOCUS ON IMPROVING CITY TRANSPORTAION

Muhammad Safian said one of the priorities for the city in waiting was improving the intra-city transportation.

This is to overcome the traffic congestion which Kuantan is not spared from like any other major towns in the country.

While other towns and cities attempt to solve the problem by widening roads, building highways and elevated highways that cost billions of ringgit, MPK feels that complementing and improving the existing infrastructure will suffice.

"In Kuala Lumpur, for example, billions of ringgit are spent to widen the roads, build new highways and elevated highways but the traffic congestion still persists.

"The same is happening in Putrajaya, considered a meticulously-planned township, the traffic jam seems unavoidable. So to me, widening of roads provides no guarantee in eliminating or reducing traffic congestion," he said.

Hence, he still believes in going back to the basics to overcome the problem and this is why Kuantan is planning a good public transportation system that is expected to be introduced by the end of next year.

FEEDER BUS SYSTEM TO BE INTRODUCED

He said the feeder bus system would be introduced to overcome traffic woes contributed by the ever-increasing number of private vehicles entering Kuantan.

The proposed feeder bus system is very similar to the Rapid KL in Kuala Lumpur but will be operated by MPK itself.

"We plan to procure 100 feeder buses with 20 of them being on standby if the buses in service break down, and at the same time several 'park n ride' car parks will be designated for the bus service," he said.

The public can still drive their vehicles into the city but must bear in mind that they will have to pay higher parking rates. This will encourage the public to use the feeder bus service.

Muhammad Safian assured that the public would not need to wait long for the buses as they would be available at every five minutes interval and there would be 200 designated bus stops.

He also assured that the fares would be cheap, and with a RM2 ticket they could enjoy a return trip for the day.

Several locations have been identified for the 'park n ride' service including Tanah Putih Baru, Tanjung Lumpur, Indera Mahkota and Beserah with closed- circuit television (CCTV) in place to enhance security.

The locations represent the main entry points into Kuantan from the south, east, west and north with each of the car parks accommodating up to 1,000 vehicles at any one time.

KUANTAN - "TRULY MALAYSIA"

"When Kuantan is declared a city, perhaps there would be many who may face a culture shock as they have to adapt to city life," said Muhammad Sufian.

"We in fact have everything in Kuantan, we have islands, beaches, rivers, hills, lakes, hot springs, caves...meaning that Kuantan is a microcosm of Malaysia and visitors can enjoy everything that Malaysia has to offer right here," he said.

He stressed that all physical development of the new city would take into consideration efforts to alleviate floods and overcome poverty.

MPK has a workforce of 1,363 people and will need an additional 1,600 when it attains city status.

-- BERNAMA

#97 ·
City status for KT? Perbandaran or Bandaraya? Was there 2 days ago and the whole town looks pretty run down with kampungs at every corner... but saw the waterfront row on the way to Merang (still under construction)... lotsa mosque-looking buildings...

I must say I'm impressed with KT bus station... it's small but I felt much better than in Puduraya or Putra bus station (where I board the bus).

#98 ·
Honesly speaking, I dun think KT is ready for a city status. No doubt KT is developing fast recently, but still many area to improve before getting city status.

IMO, Kuantan deserve to be the first city in east cost.

Great to know all of our east cost cities are very ambitious. Good Job to Kuantan, KT, KB

#100 ·
^^ I actually agree that Kuantan should get city status first before KT or KB does. Kuantan looks better developed and I believe population wise Kuantan is higher?

From what I've seen after the visit, KT should properly develop its housing areas, they are all too scattered and the entire area looks like a huge kampung. From the look of now, it cannot convince others to accept it as a Bandaraya. What I really don't like about KT is the ugly communist propaganda kinda billboards that portray modernisation of Terengganu. They are everywhere! :puke:

Ohh yeah, I know we should love the nature but I don't think cows should wander around in a city.