daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Midwest and Plains > Development News

Old July 24th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #1
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 101

Milwaukee Development News

...continued from the old thread, which was up above 2,000 posts.

Click here for the previous thread.

Photo by MilwaukeeMark:

And GO BREWERS!

Sponsored Links

Old July 24th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #2
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 175

Woohoo! Another Milwaukee Thread that starts off with one of my photos. Thanks hydrogen! I'm honored.

Development news related though, here's an article from today's paper:

A proposal for $3 million in city financing for the planned redevelopment of one of downtown Milwaukee's older office buildings was rejected today by a Common Council committee, raising doubts about the future of the $23 million project.

The Zoning, Neighborhoods and Development Committee voted 3-2 to reject the financing plan. The city funds would help finance renovations at a 295,000-square-foot office building at 735 N. Water St. and repairs to a neighboring riverwalk. Compass Properties LLC plans to make improvements to the building, and convert an adjacent 80,000-square-foot building, at 731 N. Water St., into condominiums and a parking structure.

The 16-story building at 735 N. Water St. was completed in 1913 as the headquarters for First Wisconsin National Bank. That building is leased to office tenants, including PrivateBank and Trust Co. The eight-story building at 731 N. Water St., built in 1962 as an annex to the First Wisconsin building, has been vacant for more than 15 years.

Compass wants to convert the entire ground floor and the eastern half of the upper floors at 731 N. Water into a parking structure for 735 N. Water tenants. That building has a 41% vacancy rate, and has lost tenants in recent years to newer office buildings. The western half of 731 N. Water, which overlooks the Milwaukee River, would be converted into seven condos.

Committee members praised the project. But they also said that approving city financing could set a precedent for owners of other historic downtown office buildings to seek similar assistance.
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #3
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 0

Milwaukee to issue redevelopment funds

The Business Journal of Milwaukee - 2:57 PM CDT Monday, July 23, 2007

The city of Milwaukee is issuing more than $930,000 in federal aid for the redevelopment of blighted buildings or expansion projects that add jobs and tax revenue.

Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett has released a Request for Proposals for Large Impact Development funding opportunities throughout the city of Milwaukee.

The funding totals $931,790 and is one of the largest economic development funding opportunities ever announced through the City of Milwaukee Community Development Grants Administration. The funds are provided by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

"This is an exciting opportunity to access and invigorate areas of the city that have unlimited potential, but have seen very little investment," Barrett said in a press release. "We are seeking new and innovative ideas and creative partnerships that will be a catalyst for valuable investment in the city."

To be eligible for this funding opportunity, applicants must be a non-profit agency organized under Chapter 181 of the Wisconsin State Statute and qualify as a Section 501 (c)(3) agency.

The Milwaukee Common Council's Community and Economic Development Committee will be making recommendations to the full Council regarding all award allocations.

All requests must propose the re-use of vacant, blighted property or the physical expansion of property, provide new or increased city of Milwaukee tax base revenue and create jobs. The deadline for proposals in Aug. 13, 2007. For more information, see www.milwaukee.gov/cdbg.
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #4
CGII
mk to the e

Likes (Received): 11

Hooray for Milwaukee Development News MXCCIIV!
CGII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #5
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 14

wow finallly a new thread
miltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #6
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

There's a cool video of the Milwaukee City Hall re-construction project on JSOnline today. Here's the link:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=638406
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #7
CGII
mk to the e

Likes (Received): 11

That video was great. I guess due to its width (or lack thereof), especially at the top, one never really realizes how tall City Hall really is. Really incredible to see those workers at eye level with the crown of Milwaukee Center.

When I got back from Europe a couple of weeks ago I was very pleasantly surprised to see the new copper roof, and am very excited to see it once the restoration is complete. I think seeing City Hall with its copper roof (as it had appeared when it was briefly the world's tallest) will be as exciting, to me, at least, as seeing the Calatrava or Miller Park for the first time.
CGII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #8
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Likes (Received): 1

I agree with CGII. I think when the scaffolding comes down the newly reborn City Hall is unveiled, it will be a big deal for the city. I've always thought of City Hall as our true icon, the one building that most definitively says "Milwaukee." It's been hidden away for awhile, shrouded in a mist of scaffolding, but when it emerges it can hopefully become a major point of pride for the city.

I wonder if the City is planning some kind of rededication celebration for City Hall. I think it would be cool to have a dramatic lighting ceremony at night complete with fireworks, music, etc. That would be much better than some boring ceremony with a bunch of speeches.
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #9
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Columbia St. Mary's Expansion

Channel 12 has a video on their website featuring a rendering fly-through of the now under-construction CSM hospital on the East side.

Channel 12 Video Link
EastSider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #10
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

I was wondering what that was the other day. Its already clearly visibly by viewing just the supports. Looks to be very nice by the renderings.

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #11
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Harley Davidson Museum -- Rivet Plaza/Wall

"Customize your individual Living the Legend™ rivet now and make a statement. Tell your story and leave your lasting mark on the grounds of the Harley-Davidson Museum™. Do it for yourself, a friend, family member, co-worker/employee, or as a salute to a loved one.

Claim your place on the grounds of the Harley-Davidson Museum."

*(Price Range: $250 to $2,500)
EastSider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #12
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

I was speaking with the lead architect of Lakeshore State Park and he informed me that construction of an observation tower (not very tall and obtrusive) will begin this year and be ready by early next summer. The state park welcome center will be constructed at the same time.
Old July 27th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #13
mbradleyc
Not Sure

Likes (Received): 138

Cool. Any drawings?
mbradleyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #14
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
Cool. Any drawings?
There are drawings but I don't have access to them. I'll try to get some renderings soon.
Old July 27th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #15
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 101

Interesting tidbit of news, Mark. Hopefully it offers some great vantage points for taking photos.
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #16
brewcityfan

I like it - it will provide a unique skyline shot of Milwaukee from Lake Michigan
Old July 28th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #17
mbradleyc
Not Sure

Anyone remember that waterspout that was being studied for the outer harbor back in the early 90s? Whatever happened to that?
Old July 28th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #18
brewcityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
Anyone remember that waterspout that was being studied for the outer harbor back in the early 90s? Whatever happened to that?
Did you say a "waterspout"?? Good Lord who proposed that!?
Old July 28th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #19
Markitect

There was some proposal way back to put fountains out in the harbor as some kind of gimicky attraction. I think that was one of Mayor Maier's crazy ideas, that thankfully didn't amount to anything.
Markitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #20
mbradleyc
Not Sure

It was to have been a single fountain shooting at least a hundred feet in the air; I seem to remember 300, but it was long ago. I think it would have been interesting.

Tags
milwaukee, wisconsin