SkyscraperCity Forum banner

City of Manchester Stadium/Etihad Stadium | 48,000 Seats | Expansion

519K views 1K replies 112 participants last post by  DiscoSteve 
#1 ·

Don't have any pics of my own... feel free to add some :)

See less See more
#79 ·
This was posted Yesterday on Blue Moon.

Had a good update on the stadium today. It is looking likely just the south stand at first the club have surveyed and very much want to phase this to avoid not selling out straight away. The north stand will follow next summer. The longer term plan is to develop the east and west stands although this is some years away. The payback period on the north and south stands is approaching ten years at 7500 per seat. In the next 7 to 10 years the 3rd tiers will have extra seats installed with only 8 or 9 rows in the mid central blocks but many more rows as the stand curves to the corners. The roof catenary system will come off and will slope down towards the pitch. For a few years the north and south ends will be higher than the east and west but longer term it will join as one. The image which has been posted on here as a 3 tier joined up stadium is very much the long term plan. The new seats will be on a cantilever structure a bit like the San Siro or the kop where we will see the underside of the stand from the outside. If you can picture that. There is a big meeting this Friday. The long term capacity of city will be in the region of 75,000.

This post has been deleted
#80 ·
No.

And let's be honest, at a capacity of 75K, City would have to follow the German ticket pricing model to fill the stadium.

I'm more inclined to think City will stick with 60K for the long term. You never know, with 10-20 years of constant success on the pitch, City may be able to fill a 75K stadium one day?

Saying that, price tickets right and the fans will come.

#81 ·
Apologies if this was reported elsewhere, but I've been away for a week and have just seen that, according to this report from football business website FC Business, City are overhauling the Citizens suite:

Manchester City reveal radical overhaul of Citizens suite hospitality area

Fri 2nd Aug 2013 | Football Stadiums & Facilities

Manchester City supporters will soon be able to enjoy the ultimate matchday experience in a new hospitality area in the Etihad Stadium.

The Club has revealed the radical overhaul of the Citizens suite, just in time for the kick-off of the 2013-14 season, meaning some of the best seats in the house just got better.

Football fans who book into Citizens will enjoy unrivalled views of all the end-to-end on-field action and dugout drama. Seating is on level two on the halfway line, directly opposite the Players’ Tunnel and tactical area – giving Citizens patrons direct views of every moment of managerial magic and movement from the bench, throughout every twist and turn of the game.

In a first for UK stadia, Manchester City has introduced four new entertaining rooms situated at the back of the space, which are available for exclusive hire. The ‘Back Four’ will give members an unrivalled matchday experience to be the envy of all City supporters, combining Citizens’ relaxed environment with the comfort of a private box. When hired for the season, fans can dedicate their ‘Back Four’ box to their favourite defender in Manchester City’s history to create a truly personalised space within the Etihad Stadium.

The new restaurant and bar will seat up to 328 guests in an aspirational but comfortable space that brings together the beautiful game, good food and good company. Food and service will be overseen by the Club’s new catering partner, Fabulous Fan Fayre – a collaboration between Jamie Oliver’s Fabulous Feasts and Legends Hospitality – and will include a hearty carvery.

Justice Ellis, Marketing Manager at Manchester City Football Club, said: “Manchester City is dedicated to redefining the football experience, and Citizens is just one example of how we are improving matchdays for our fans. We wanted to create a space where fans new and old can relax and enjoy watching world class football, while getting a premium level of service in a welcoming, comfortable and unpretentious space.”

The overhaul of Citizens follows the recent launches of a number of game-changing new hospitality areas, including the EA SPORTS Hospitality Box, the Harvey Nichols Experience Box and The Mancunian.

Bookings are now available for both matchdays and non-matchdays during the 2013-14 season.

To hire or make enquiries about Citizens please contact the Manchester City Football Club Hospitality team on 0161 444 1894 (from the UK) or email: hospitality@mcfc.co.uk

Posted by: Kev Howland

#83 ·
Posted tonight on Blue Moon.

I’m excited, all right don’t get worried, it’s just a supporter’s excitement and this time it isn’t even over Vincent Kompany or Zaba!! So there’s something new! You should know me by now, I get excited at the slightest thing............. not that Vinnie or Zaba are the slightest things, but I'm old not dead!!! :)

Anyway, along with a group of other fans I was invited to the stadium to view the expansion models and discuss what the plans for the fans are going to be when they get planning permission. The images of how the stadium will look are absolutely fantastic and of course this will mean more season tickets. The plan for the season tickets is with a starting price of around £299.

It will give people chance to add friends and family to the waiting list so that you can all sit together if you want to. When you register your/their names you get an allocated number and the sooner you register the higher up your number will be. Then when they start allocating the new season cards you can either accept the offer or, if you want to wait a little longer for some reason, you won’t lose your place on the list you will be re-invited for the next round of offers. You will have to put a deposit down for the number of people when you register but that discourages time wasters I guess, although that wasn’t how it was put across.

As I say I am excited about how this looks as if it's going to pan out. It’s obvious the club is not just saying, 'right this is it, take it or leave it,' they are canvassing views from supporters and they are listening. Supporters wanted cheaper season cards and they listened and are working on it, supporters wanted to move and sit with their friends or family and they are looking to help people with that.

It's a good omen I feel. Well done City. IMHO

#84 ·
More news on the stadium expansion.

Yorkueblue

Ok here goes,
Danny Wilson attended the West Yorks Supporters Club, amongst a wide range of topics was the stadium and atmosphere.
In simple terms
Initial consultation seen in cabin off City Square which invited opinions on away supporters location most favoured option with majority was to remain in south stand.
Expansion plan was to go through the planning process soon, likley to encompass both north and south
Decision on whether to build one or both would depend on fans consultation which will include a waiting list for Season cards
Lots of data analysis already
Once planning granted build will start more or less immediately
Minimal disruption, no loss of capacity only legends suite to close and City Square to be re vamped during building works. Build time estimated at about 18 months
Proposal being mooted by club, police and safety committee for away fans to be accomodated near corner of south stand on 3 levels
Data showed that all home games in last 21/2 seasons bar West Brom last season sold out. Fulham only sold 1 section and City fans took up the rest which was an indicator that for a saturday 3pm ko then 50000 is already achievable for those games where the away following sells out. 11 from 18 did last season

I think thats most points covered, hope it helps
Kramer.

Away fans will remain as they are at the moment with the additional segment in third tier. It seems that all stake holders are keen for this to be the case, moving would compromise too many things but most notably exit safety

Work will start early in the new year, subject to planning. At the moment the intention to do both at the same time, this works out cheaper and better logistically. Apart from Legends Lounge there will be very little compromise for fans

Additional structure will be built that is approx. 10m from current, encompassing the Cablenet ground stakes, the new roof sits on this and is supported by the Cablenet at pitch end, the roof pitch will be opposite from current roof, this should help hold the noise in.

Since it is said that the effect on fans will be minimal I guess the roof (umbrella) will be removed and the new one installed during close season
Information will be sent to all SC and members soon with letters tailored to the seat location as other changes are on the cards, no details.

#86 ·
Apparently increasing capacity at both ends of the stadium depends on the interest and feedback from these booklets that are being sent out to every season ticket holder. As soon as mine arrives I will post some pictures of it. Apparently there are more detailed renders of what the stadium will look like once the expansion is completed. I'm assuming if City get enough interest and demand, they will go for it. It may lead to more £299 season tickets and cheaper seats if both ends are completed at once?

It would also allow City to bid for a Europa Cup final(think it's minimum 60,000 capacity), and it would mean bigger concert crowds at the Etihad.

On selfish note, I'd love to see the Etihad stadium with 3 tiers on every stand, regardless if the stadium be filled or not. As it stands, with 2 tiers at either end of the stadium, it's look underwhelming.

#87 ·
'You're invited' email sent out. I am assuming next Wednesday for the £300 season ticket waiting/sign-up list. These consultation and expansion plans have to be accelerated now.

Other suggesting it could be the players chipping in for away fans but I don't see why the club should be shouting about this.

#88 ·
True!

City ruining away support since 2013. :)

MEN.

City players and staff dip into their own pockets to halve cost of away games for fans

The cost of Manchester City's away games this season will be halved after everyone at the club put their own money in to help subsidise the matches.

In an unprecedented move Manuel Pellegrini, his players and coaches have each shelled out a figure - believed to be around £1,000 - so the club can offer half price tickets to season ticket holders at selected matches throughout the campaign.

It is understood that the games furthest away or matches that take place within a few days of each other will be prioritised.

The Blues, along with other Premier League clubs, set aside £200,000 to improve experiences at away matches for supporters.

Yesterday United announced they would use the money to knock £4 off the cost of tickets at matches on the road.

But City would appear to have taken things further with a five-figure sum added to the £200,000 from first-team players and coaching staff.

The Blues have also not stopped there - away areas at their Etihad Stadium are about to revamped to make the experience more pleasurable for visiting fans.

It is understood highlights on concourse screen will focus on the away side and catering staff could be kitted out in the colours of City's opposition.

Tom Glick, chief commercial and operating officer said: “Manchester City fans are famous for their fiercely loyal and vocal support. They have stuck with the club through thick and thin for generations, and both the club and players want to say thank you.”

Skipper Vincent Kompany, one of those to make a donation, added: “In my opinion, our away support is the best in the Premier League and we never take that for granted.

“Win, lose or draw, City supporters can always be heard throughout our games and I just hope that this initiative proves just how much we value this incredible."

#92 ·
Jrb - the fact there is a silhouette of the stadium gives it away for me. Can't be anything to do with away tickets - nor those with STs if the tagline is "you're invited". The ends also seems higher and the stay cables seem further back suggesting an expansion announcement.

#105 ·
There are now four pillars at the corners, which will provide higher anchorages for the catenary down stays.

Which means that - unlike in the previous version we saw a couple of months ago - the catenery cable itself can be hoyed up higher at the north and south ends,

To permit which, the north and south masts are now taller (and two-legged)

Which in turn means that the roofline can be continous, and the sightlines from the back of the North and South third tiers can be better.

Alltogether a better proposals

My only disappointment is that there is still not a continous concourse at the third tier - I would like to be able to walk round the stadium at that level (away allocation excepted).

#106 ·
My only disappointment is that there is still not a continous concourse at the third tier - I would like to be able to walk round the stadium at that level (away allocation excepted).
Hold it; maybe I'm wrong.

It does look like there are external bridges across from the corner spirals on the East and West stands to the third tier concourses on the North and South stands.

Wahey!!!

#109 ·
looks fantastic, I don't like the blue bands (whatever they are) on the South face in the render jrb posted in post #94, they look a bit wishy washy to me, but on this latest one (#101) they are less visible and I think it's all the better for it.

#111 ·
That's mighty beautiful. As an Arsenal fan ill be both mega pissed and well happy at seeing another awesome stadium...but one that's bigger than ours!? Noooooooooo! ;)

Hope it happens though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.