SkyscraperCity Forum banner

City of Manchester Stadium/Etihad Stadium | 48,000 Seats | Expansion

519K views 1K replies 112 participants last post by  DiscoSteve 
#1 ·

Don't have any pics of my own... feel free to add some :)

See less See more
#153 · (Edited)
I posted this video a while back as I thought this is how one or both stands will be expanded.

From the back upwards and across. The roof will then go across and eventually meet up with the existing roof.

The club has stated no fans will be affected by the expansion. That tells you all you need to know. Build the stand/expansion from the back and upwards, configure it externally to the current stadium design, and then add the new roof, connecting it to the current roof. And while that goes on, so do the matches.

Pretend their East Stand is City's South Stand.

The fans are still watching the matches while construction is taking place.

The exterior of the old stand is still in place and in front of it is a new internal concourse. This is what City will do. The two large supports holding up the roof are being kept and will be inside the new internal concourse.

You can see that clearly in the render.

#154 · (Edited)
Just posted on Blue Moon.

I registered 1 today the young lady at the ticket office said "about 3500" e-mail says list number 3522.
That would take the mtachday attendance to 51,000.

Think current season ticket holders stand at 38,000. It used to be 36,000, but City increased it.(stand corrected on that)

That would give City 41,000 season ticket holders at this point.(£100 deposit on a season ticket must be paid now) Obviously in 2 years time there's nothing to say more season tickets won't be sold as the expansion nears completion.

#155 ·
Just posted on Blue Moon.

That would take the mtachday attendance to 51,000.

Think current season ticket holders stand at 38,000. It used to be 36,000, but City increased it.(stand corrected on that)

That would give City 41,000 season ticket holders at this point.(£100 deposit on a season ticket must be paid now) Obviously in 2 years time there's nothing to say more season tickets won't be sold as the expansion nears completion.
So in your opinion jerb, does this suggest phased completion or can we expect both stands to be built at the same time?

I’m no expert in stadium construction or the economics of a professional sports team, but I can just about manage a little bit of crude maths. We know that if both ends are built stadium capacity will increase from about 48k to about 60k, so an extra 6k seats or thereabouts per end.

If the figure of 3,500 seats already reserved is correct then the economics of phase 1 look really good. Already about 60% of the new capacity has been sold (with presumably more to come before any deadline for expressions of interest). Add into this mix away fans, corporate sales and city fans who can only commit to a handful of games per season and we appear to be heading for a sell out.

But what about big bang expansion to 60k? Sure, demand for games against United, Arsenal or Chelsea would likely result in sell outs, but when Hull or Swansea visit (particularly if the game is also televised) you are probably looking at several thousand empty seats. Factor in current season ticket holders who downgrade to cheaper seats and I start to worry about whether additional match day revenues justify single phase expansion.

That said those 3,500 sales reflect demand today not in 2015/16 when the expansion would be ready. If City wins the league again and starts to make progress in Europe, it is reasonable to assume demand would continue to grow. In particular if the cost savings from single phase construction offset the costs of not selling out for every game during the first few seasons (both real costs and reputational costs in terms of ‘Empty-had’ jibes’.

You say there are currently 38k season ticket holders – or to put it another way about 80% of the stadiums capacity is sold through season tickets. Based on current commitments we can expect there will be at least 41.5k season ticket holders come the 15/16 season. If we wanted to maintain the current ratio of season ticket sales to stadium capacity the Ethiad Stadium would need to be about 53k, supporting the phased construction argument.

But before drawing any conclusions, let’s first take a look at season ticket to stadium capacity ratios at City’s major rivals (United, Arsenal & Chelsea). According to this site they have 52k, 45k & 25k season ticket sales respectively. Based on stadium capacities of 75k, 60k & 42k I make it that the following percentage of capacity is sold to season ticket holders:

69% - Manchester United
70% - Arsenal
60% - Chelsea

I can see that the constrained size of Stamford Bridge may mean that Chelsea would be an outlier in this comparison. But using 70% as a benchmark, fast track expansion to 60k (i.e. build both ends now) looks like it could be a good strategy... unless of course one of you guys can think of a reason that City should also be an outlier against the benchmark.

#161 ·
BM.

3906 on waiting list now.
That alone would take the average attendance to 52,000 without anymore season tickets sold(still 15 months to go) and additional matchday ticket sales.

Whether there is enough scope to warrant a 3rd tier on the North Stand is currently open to debate in my opinion.

But I have no doubt Sheikh Mansour and City will plough ahead regardless.

#164 ·
App is up.

104315/FO/2013/N2 | Alterations to the Etihad Stadium, including increasing the overall height of the South and North stands and associated elevational alterations, to allow an increase each stand capacity by up to 6,250 seats respectively and up to 2,000 additional pitch side seats creating a total match day capacity of up to 62,170 seats (from 47,670), expansions of concourse facilities, alteration to public realm including changes to car parking layout, landscaping and boundary treatments and associated infrastructure works | Etihad Stadium Etihad Campus Manchester M11 3FF
http://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MWV624BC03O00

Design Access Statement

http://www.publicaccess.manchester.gov.uk/associateddocs/selecteddoc.aspx?104315-dsx-0005.pdf

^^

Interesting pictures in there but I think a lot of them have already been posted, apart from this one.....

:)

#165 ·
App is up.

http://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MWV624BC03O00

Design Access Statement

http://www.publicaccess.manchester.gov.uk/associateddocs/selecteddoc.aspx?104315-dsx-0005.pdf

^^

Interesting pictures in there but I think a lot of them have already been posted, apart from this one.....

:)
Thanks for that VDB.

I presume that the proposed 2,000 extra 'pitchside' seats refer to the extended third tier of the current West and East stands, rasther than to additional seating alongside the pitch on tier one?

#177 ·
I thought I'd repost this from Blue Moon on here - as if 62,000 is not enough, my take on what it go to when the sides are done...

I've had my ruler and calculator out on the roofless renders which show how big the enlarged east/west third tiers would be (as compared to current third tier side capacity) to try and work out what the final final capacity could be. And it does fall short of the swamps 76,000 total....

By my reckoning we need another 8 rows on the back of those sides to get over the line...[/quote]

#179 · (Edited)
Good to know they've explored the idea:

I hope they do opt for the digital lighting to the large mesh areas, 'cause the facade could be fairly drab with just the standard galvanised and stainless steel mesh. Also interesting that they mention the banners at Wembley, which Wembley has decided to upgrade by adding three large LED screens (only one has been installed at the moment):

One of the exterior LED screens (two more are expected to be added either side in the future) was working tonight. From @wembleystadium:

https://twitter.com/wembleystadium

#183 ·
Agreed re the extra seats. If they wanted to do this properly, they should drop the pitch down a few feet. It won't get around the lack of cover but the one thing that the stadium is justifiably proud of is that there isn't a bad seat in the house - there would be now.....

Still looks great doesn't it.

#184 · (Edited)
I seem to recall that the pitch cannot be dropped down very far because of the various water-courses and conduits running underneath. Not to mention all the internal gubbins of the sprinkler and heating systems.

since these can only be lowest-price tickets, I cannot see that the expense of dropping the pitch could be justified.

In any case, I cannot see MCFC doing this in Phase 1 of the extension; I suspect it will only happen if there is a lot more unsatified ticket interest .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.