SkyscraperCity Forum banner

City of Manchester Stadium/Etihad Stadium | 48,000 Seats | Expansion

519K views 1K replies 112 participants last post by  DiscoSteve 
#1 ·

Don't have any pics of my own... feel free to add some :)

See less See more
#7 ·
The before footage of the huns in Albert Square looked a lot better than the aftermath...

Nowt like a couple hundred thousand marauding pissed-up scotchmen dropping in for a wee visit the noo eh?...:nuts:

'Kin'ell, are they in any Euro comps this season? "Coming soon to a city near you..." (if you're not careful)

#10 ·
I imagine its the stadium complex. But talking of etihad expansion I was talking to some people out here who work at head office who said they are looking expand the call centre at the airport. More jobs is good as they pay well and it expands on the Abu Dhabi - Manchester link. It's about time they were twinned.

#17 ·
FFS, give it a rest Watcher. :| :blahblah: Is that your sole purpose in life to constantly pick fault with Manchester City Football club?

If you don't like the club and what it now stands for, do us all a favour and don't post on the relevant threads.

#28 ·
Im making a serious point, why do you think THEY selected Emirates as their own point of reference?

Youve proved it JRB, youve proved your inablity to take negatives, taken a criticism of poor viewing at Munich stadium as a personal insult on your beloved club. Are you forgetting this is an architecture forum not a football supporters forum?

#29 · (Edited)
How does a picture of the Allianz Arena relate to the expansion of the Etihad and any new sightlines? It's just a small/poor picture. A stadium with a 3rd tier. A vauge comparison included in the email survey.(people like pictures) Nothing else. Yet you felt the need/urge to pick up on that minor detail, rather than looking at the bigger picture of the stadium expansion as a whole. Hence the thread.

And once again.......

Also significant that Etihad use Emirates stadium accomdation as example? Dont want to be outdone?
Yet your....

neither a fan of city nor a fan of united
If that's the case, it shouldn't bother you, let alone enter your mind. Outdone? You've lost me.(that's not difficult jrb)

Comparisons will always be looked at and used. Where do you think the model for the new training academy came from? Exactly, from numerous other training acadamies around the world, which officials of the club visited.

Tell you what Watcher. When the details of the stadium expansion finally emerge, you can pull every and any negative you want about it, and how it relates to other stadia. Until then.....

#30 ·
My Virtual Concrete Mixer has been at work again....

I have been redoing my Google Sketchup Model based on the Survey Diagram that shows City are looking to use all the space on the ends at the third tier level without touching the roof.

Today's Sky View

Expanded

Today's Third Tier North Stand View

Expanded

Today's Dugout View

Expanded

Today's View From East Stand Boxes

Expanded

Today's View From South Stand Level1

Expanded

#32 ·
I think this is ALL they can do without starting on the roof - the word on BM is that expansion is a two stage affair; first fill the corners/ends under the roof to get to c60,000; and then a full scale roof off extra tier 80,000 monster :)

#33 · (Edited)
I think this is ALL they can do without starting on the roof - the word on BM is that expansion is a two stage affair; first fill the corners/ends under the roof to get to c60,000; and then a full scale roof off extra tier 80,000 monster :)
Now that really would be awesome! Just a quick before and after I did showing what the 60,000 version could look like.

Before:

After:

#34 ·
@RMB2007 - your mockup is EXACTLY how I saw the stage one 60,000 work

I can't see them filling the corners at the top of Level 2 with boxes because the space isn't deep enough and possibly, this might be the way out for those in the new 3rd tier - steps down to here from which they then leave through the staircases either side of the existing boxes sat ontop of tier 2

#39 ·
I dont see the above renders reaching 60,000 from 47,000.
I'm not so sure either - maybe they'll pull the front edge forward a bit more - my renders assumed the overhang (3rd tier front edge over top of 2nd tier & boxes) to be the same as the sides.

Rags did get an extra 7,000 in just two corners in the last Swamp Expansion and this is 4 corners and across each end too, so who knows...

#40 ·
The two corners at OT took expansion from 67000 to 76500, reduced later by removing seats for more boxes. So those two corners at OT are deceptively large, costing £90m to wedge in.

10000 extra seats in reality. Possible I guess to see an extra 13,000 especially if a larger overhang is included.

#41 ·
Hacked around my previous schematics (original source Arup)
East West View

Plan View of NE Corner

From these I should be able to get an accurate count of how many seats each quadrant would produce but I bet its not the 3000 it needs to be...
In fact by my rough and ready calcs its only between 1500 and 2000, so a 6000-8000 jump on top 47,500 gives 53,500 to 55,500

#43 ·
So JRB did you click Not Interested against?

Because I didn't and got a series of questions about how much I'd be prepared to pay.
And possibly because I'm in 201 I got all those questions/pictures about "improvements" on the second tier

#46 ·
I clicked not interested Steve. I'm more than happy to stand with the cannon fodder in the singning section.(111)

TBH I think the questions are being targeted at those currently sitting on level 2.(my Mrs and Daughter) No doubt the club would like to move them en-masse to the new South Stand and North Stand 3rd tiers, if the demand is there? I'm sure a discounted season ticket could be one of the incentives to move.

#45 ·
However they did (unsuccessfully) attempt to be smart when fishing for 'acceptable season ticket prices' and failed miserably - offering the dearest options first and then reducing downwards - a simple case of not answering 'yes' until you got to the last one unraveled that little trick ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.