daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2015, 12:45 AM   #1
ainvan

Likes (Received): 17130

The safest cities in the world

Quote:
Live in a city? Want to find out how safe you are? The Economist Intelligence Unit has got you covered.

The EIU released its Safe Cities Index 2015 this week, which rates 50 cities based on how well they do in four safety-related factors:

• Digital security — cybersecurity, privacy, safety from identity theft.

• Health security — cost and quality of health services, environment and air/water quality.

• Infrastructure security — condition of roads, bridges, and buildings, transportation safety.

• Personal safety — crime and violence, perceptions of personal security.

Tokyo, the world's most populous metropolitan area, took top place for safest overall city and also for best digital security. Zurich was tops in both health and infrastructure, and Singapore in personal security.

Across all the EIU's indexes, which include liveability, cost of living, food security and more, the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world is Toronto.

Here's the grain of salt. You'll probably notice that some cities dubbed the most liveable are missing from the list of safe cities. Where's Vancouver? Vienna? The report doesn't make fully clear why many cities that top EIU's Global Liveability Index fail to show up on the Safety Index.

USA Today, 2015 Safe Cities Index

fuzzer, geometarkv liked this post
ainvan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2015, 01:58 AM   #2
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 504

When most people think "safety", they think "crime rates"...not all this other stuff.

American cities for example seem to be skewed way high on the list simply because of having really good food security and business environments, and to a lesser extent democracy, despite the fact that they also have much higher violent crime rates than most of the other cities listed...which seems a little funny to me. I mean it has Montreal, Taipei, London, Frankfurt, etc ranked as less safe than San Francisco? Beijing less safe than Rio? Seriously? Lol...

fuzzer, Santi.M liked this post
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 08:37 AM   #3
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6384

Doesn't include all nations and cities so the chart doesn't represent the "world"..
Old February 10th, 2015, 10:22 AM   #4
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
When most people think "safety", they think "crime rates"...not all this other stuff.

I mean it has Montreal, Taipei, London, Frankfurt, etc ranked as less safe than San Francisco? Beijing less safe than Rio? Seriously? Lol...
Chicago & Los Angeles more safe than London ?

Washington DC more safe than Frankfurt ?

Overall US cities are unsafe due to the liberal gun laws.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 07:18 PM   #5
fuzzer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post

American cities for example seem to be skewed way high on the list simply because of having really good food security and business environments, and to a lesser extent democracy, despite the fact that they also have much higher violent crime rates than most of the other cities listed...which seems a little funny to me. I mean it has Montreal, Taipei, London, Frankfurt, etc ranked as less safe than San Francisco? Beijing less safe than Rio? Seriously? Lol...
That's exactly what I thought when I read it.

I will say that these 'how safe or dangerous is a city' rankings look heavily biased towards just the CBD. Excluding inner and outer suburbs, the exurbs or whatever else. They seem very CBD/tourist area-based. Basically, a microscopic portion of each city.
fuzzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 11:40 PM   #6
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Chicago & Los Angeles more safe than London ?
Not hugely surprising. London has just as many gangs as those cities, but its also a thriving tourist destination and is very densely populated, so its crime rate is just as high, even though it might not have as many gun homicides. Although to be fair, LA has over double the number of homicides in general (although it is a bigger and poorer city).
Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 09:13 PM   #7
john69

Likes (Received): 7

bogus list

Slartibartfas liked this post
john69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #8
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10972

Toronto #1 overall, Montreal #2! I'm surprised the Economist would print anything that had something Canadian at the top but I'll take it.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 11:50 PM   #9
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
Not hugely surprising. London has just as many gangs as those cities, but its also a thriving tourist destination and is very densely populated, so its crime rate is just as high, even though it might not have as many gun homicides. Although to be fair, LA has over double the number of homicides in general (although it is a bigger and poorer city).
Crimes are defined and reported differently in the UK and America though, you can't just look at the London stats and LA stats and compare them directly. For example, US assault stats only include aggravated assaults, while UK stats include less serious kinds of assault. The violent crime rate of American cities would shoot upwards if violent crime stats were kept in the same way as in the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if there would still be a higher violent crime rate in general for UK cities, just because if there's less of a chance that a fight leads to a shooting, there might be more people willing to fight...or maybe not, maybe US cities would be worse. I don't know, some truly comparable stats would be interesting.

It would also be interesting to see some stats about rate of reporting crimes, though it seems it would be hard thing to get info on. It's very common for crimes to go unreported in bad neighborhoods due to fear of reprisal, and it's also common for crime to go unreported by illegal immigrants who fear getting deported if they come into contact with the police, or even simply because of language barriers among immigrants.
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 03:17 AM   #10
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3060

Tokyo citizens hand in £18m in lost cash

Honest Japanese took a total of 3.34bn yen to police, with one individual
Quote:
handing over £100,000 found in a bag
Tokyo’s citizens handed in £18m of lost cash last year, police said on Monday, with three quarters of it returned to its rightful owner, in the latest example of Japan’s startling honesty.

Upstanding citizens who had chanced upon wallets full of money took a total of 3.34bn yen to their local police officers, a spokeswoman for Tokyo Metropolitan police said.

They included one seemingly incorruptible person who, according to the Sports Nippon, found a sports bag stuffed with notes worth £100,000.

Nearly 74% of the total cash found in the year was eventually returned to the people who lost it, the spokeswoman said – including the holdall full of money.

Under Japanese law, if something is not claimed after three months, the person who handed it in is allowed to keep it.

But astonishingly, 390m yen in cash went into Tokyo’s city coffers after finders relinquished that right.

Local media played up the story as further proof of how safe Japan is, a point Tokyo hammered home during its successful bid to host the 2020 Olympic Games.

The country’s relative security – something many Japanese are proud of – is often remarked upon by visiting foreigners, who swap tales of wallets or passports accidently abandoned in bars or taxis that invariably get returned.
3.56 million cases found
clothes , muffler etc 056m cases
credit cards. identifications etc 0.34m
umbrella 0.4m
parrots, rabbits etc(except catn dog) 900 cases
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...m-in-lost-cash

Last edited by castermaild55; February 17th, 2015 at 03:28 AM.
castermaild55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 07:54 PM   #11
Skyscraperwow
BANNED

Likes (Received): 227

Seoul is more safe than any city on that list, except for (maybe) Tokyo.

inno4321 liked this post
Skyscraperwow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 12:37 AM   #12
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6426

You realise this is about general safety not crime (as many have just pointed out), so a place with very low homicides/ crime but high instances of say car accidents, online fraud or pollution levels will skew themselves nearer the bottom - eg Beijing, Mumbai, Kuwait City or London etc.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #13
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10830

^ should natural disasters then be included in such general safety classifications? (Or maybe they are already and I didn't notice.) That would not favour Japanese cities for example.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture
alexandru.mircea está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 12:41 PM   #14
SpiderBHZ
FORA TEMER!!

Likes (Received): 2301

Rio more safe than SP?... I think not...
SpiderBHZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 01:24 AM   #15
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraperwow View Post
Seoul is more safe than any city on that list, except for (maybe) Tokyo.

AGREED
TOkyo and seoul is twin city and both of them world top safety city in the world.
i had been twice visited japan, tokyo and next time osaka+kyoto.
japan city was extremely saftey and clean.

though above safety chart about not only criminal but also health,internet safety,infrastructure etc but i can not understand why Seoul ranked very low line among other world cities.

In seoul many foreigners living Most of them agree with top Seoul is top safety city in the world.

there are only three city in the world tokyo/seoul/singafore which woman can sleep in the street/park with drunken without concern criminal possibility.

Don;t get me wrong, most korean admire europe/western culture and cities but they used to complain about dangerous public safety problem and personal experience when they return from western travel(especially europe)

plz don't misunderstand.... i admire and like europe cities. thanks

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 01:31 AM   #16
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12550

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
You realise this is about general safety not crime (as many have just pointed out), so a place with very low homicides/ crime but high instances of say car accidents, online fraud or pollution levels will skew themselves nearer the bottom - eg Beijing, Mumbai, Kuwait City or London etc.
i see second thought seoul have a wekpoint among your list

car accidents ==>little bit high especially pedestrian accident high in seoul
online fraud ==> admit it not only seoul but also whole korea trouble with fraud with phone call from china
pollution ==> seoul have world top many park ratio but air pollution very bad due to yellow dust from china

But city water world top clean. you can drink seoul city water directly
and Han river very clean than tames and seine

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 09:06 PM   #17
Bredanaar

Likes (Received): 19

jea

me like it
Bredanaar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 08:33 PM   #18
Brazilian001
carioca

Likes (Received): 31819

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderBHZ View Post
I wouldn't say they differ that much regarding security (of all kinds), on the contrary, I would say both cities are on the same level overall.
Brazilian001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #19
drag

Likes (Received): 0

Toronto - worldwide cost of living only 70 cheaper than Chicago and other US cities , I dont believe
drag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 08:08 PM   #20
Sniper

Likes (Received): 4559

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderBHZ View Post
Security and safety are different concepts in English... although, in Portuguese they use the same word (segurança).
Sniper no está en línea   Reply With Quote