daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2015, 06:22 AM   #21
SydneySider2

Likes (Received): 0

I almost laughed when I saw Sydney in 6th place. With all the murders, drive by shootings, armed robberies etc... I didnt think Sydney would have made the list at all.
SydneySider2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2015, 03:19 AM   #22
Blandine Forberg

Likes (Received): 90

Quite ridiculous to see Stockholm rated so high - everyone warned us to beware of pickpockets and theft.

Cyber crime happens online and is independent from location so this ranking is useless as a whole and qualifies as "coincidence".

Tommy Boy liked this post
Blandine Forberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #23
rahmanrahim

Likes (Received): 3

i had my wallet stolen in stockholm!
rahmanrahim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #24
Brazilian001
carioca

Likes (Received): 31886

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandine Forberg View Post
Quite ridiculous to see Stockholm rated so high - everyone warned us to beware of pickpockets and theft.
But this ranking is not only about personal security, you should consider other kinds of security in the analysis...
Brazilian001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #25
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandine Forberg View Post

Cyber crime happens online and is independent from location so this ranking is useless as a whole and qualifies as "coincidence".
I would not say petty theft is too bad here. Now other crimes I think are more of a problem, but in all the places I have lived in, or visited, Stockholm is one of the safer.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 09:56 PM   #26
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10831

Also has to be questioned how important petty crime is, especially when compared to violent crime, massive gun ownership (legal or not), aggressive behaviour etc. Barcelona has the reputation of the world's theft capital, and indeed when I went there I witnessed a robbery inside the first hour of being there, yet it's a place where I felt extremely safe and at large.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 03:51 AM   #27
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8249

I'm amazed Barcelona can't sort out its crime problem. It's like there's a belief that it only affects tourists and thus it's not important. It is. Petty crime is crime still.
Old March 10th, 2015, 12:55 PM   #28
aaabbbccc

Likes (Received): 385

Marrakech , Morocco was rated top 10 safest city in all of Africa last year , not sure how it would be in the global scale , it is a huge tourist city and there is a lot of security to make sure tourists are safe , Marrakech only averages about 10 to 15 homicides per year in a metro area of 1 million
Old April 12th, 2015, 09:24 PM   #29
Rekarte

Likes (Received): 28370

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneySider2 View Post
I almost laughed when I saw Sydney in 6th place. With all the murders, drive by shootings, armed robberies etc... I didnt think Sydney would have made the list at all.
Are u serious? my boss was traveling in Sydney and Melbourne and she was impressioned with the security in Australia
Old April 12th, 2015, 09:27 PM   #30
Rekarte

Likes (Received): 28370

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaabbbccc View Post
Marrakech , Morocco was rated top 10 safest city in all of Africa last year , not sure how it would be in the global scale , it is a huge tourist city and there is a lot of security to make sure tourists are safe , Marrakech only averages about 10 to 15 homicides per year in a metro area of 1 million

In my city is 15 homicides per weekend(metro 4 millions)
Old April 14th, 2015, 02:35 AM   #31
vladanng

Likes (Received): 842

Belgrade/Sarajevo/Zagreb.
vladanng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 03:07 AM   #32
aaabbbccc

Likes (Received): 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekarte View Post
In my city is 15 homicides per weekend(metro 4 millions)
That is impressive , very good
Old April 14th, 2015, 03:35 AM   #33
linum

Likes (Received): 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneySider2 View Post
Well I live 5mins walk from Redfern and while it's common to witness drug deals with 12 year olds in the daylight hours.... I always feel safe BUT I know Sydney WEST of Parramatta is pretty "ghetto" and yes drive-by's are common etc.
linum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 03:59 PM   #34
marendins

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
I'm amazed Barcelona can't sort out its crime problem. It's like there's a belief that it only affects tourists and thus it's not important. It is. Petty crime is crime still.
Pickpocketers in Barcelona operate in well-coordinated gangs which are difficult to break up. They take advantage of Spanish crime laws, according to which a robbery of less than 400€ and without violence is considered a minor offence and therefore cannot lead to prison, even after repeated arrests.

The only way to impose prison sentences is to prove that the pick-pocketer is involved in organized crime, but this requires substantial evidence which is difficult for police officers to gather.

To make things even harder, many of these gangs operate all across Europe. Whenever police pressure increases in one city, they just move to another one. So you know, the guy who stole your wallet in Barcelona last week may as well steal your laptop in Amsterdam this summer.

Btw, the same is true of gangs stealing copper wires, bicycles, expensive cars, etc. As you surely know they operate as much in the UK as they do in Spain.
marendins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #35
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8249

Pickpocketing and begging gangs have been broken up and destroyed in London by vigorous and targeted policing.

Before 2012 Olympics there were reports that Barcelona's gangs were planning to go to London. London police's answer to this was that any sort of crime will be dealt with severely. No ifs and no buts.

Spain should do the same and change its laws. The only reason I can think of that it is not doing this is because it is seen that pick pocketing and petty crime only affects tourists and thus isn't important. It is important as it reflects negatively on the city's image. I've been to Barcelona just two weeks ago and while I didn't see these guys (out of season?) it still was a drag having to constantly check your belongings and look over your shoulder.
Old May 12th, 2015, 09:55 PM   #36
skyshakernowlive
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Where do Middle Eastern and Indian cities rank? The vast majority of crime appears to be aimed at women... Or foreigners.
Asia is fought between Tokyo, Seoul and Singapore.
Europe is probably some Swiss or Germanic city.
I don't this the Americas or Africa can be listed.
skyshakernowlive no está en línea   Reply With Quote