• daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on one | forums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > The Urban Tourist

The Urban Tourist For those who enjoy big city traveling

Old March 31st, 2017, 04:58 PM   #121
PeruGian12

Likes (Received): 684

What a beautiful country!, I gotta go to Canada

ainvan liked this post
PeruGian12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 4th, 2017, 02:58 PM   #122
Niemand

Likes (Received): 51

I'm going to British Columbia and Alberta this july. I'm so excited! I already have a draft itinerary of where we want to go. Of course spending a while in the rockies but I also want to spend some time at Vancouver Island.

I'm a huge fan of whales and I love to see them whenever I have the opportunity on a holiday. But there are so many good locations at Vancouver Island that I don't know what's the best anymore. I was attracted of Telegraph Cove, where a large group of killer whales is living all year round. But I want to go to a place where we would have increased changes to see humpbacks or gray whales as well. So I would like to go on a zodiac or kayak but there also must be good places along the shore where you can observe them. Of course it's a question of luck but all your advice would be greatly appreciated!
Niemand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 12:21 AM   #123
ainvan

Likes (Received): 16670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemand View Post
I'm going to British Columbia and Alberta this july. I'm so excited! I already have a draft itinerary of where we want to go. Of course spending a while in the rockies but I also want to spend some time at Vancouver Island.

I'm a huge fan of whales and I love to see them whenever I have the opportunity on a holiday. But there are so many good locations at Vancouver Island that I don't know what's the best anymore. I was attracted of Telegraph Cove, where a large group of killer whales is living all year round. But I want to go to a place where we would have increased changes to see humpbacks or gray whales as well. So I would like to go on a zodiac or kayak but there also must be good places along the shore where you can observe them. Of course it's a question of luck but all your advice would be greatly appreciated!
Orcas and other whales? They're everywhere here in British Columbia

Sometimes you can spot Orcas near downtown Vancouver.

Killer Whale Orca Vancouver British Columbia Canada Sept-15 by rtmotorphotos, on Flickr

However, the best spots to see Orcas and other whales are Telegraph Cove (Johnstone Strait), Victoria (Salt Spring Islands, Gulf Islands) and Tofino.

I'd suggest to stay in either Victoria or Telegraph Cove. Most of the whale watching companies work together with local fishermen. The local fishermen will let them know when they spot whales. If you spend at least 3 days in either Victoria or Telegraph Cove, you'd get a good chance to see whales.

These pics below were taken around Victoria (Salt Spring Islands, Gulf Islands).

Private Orca Show by Mario Nonaka, on Flickr

Orca Frenzy by Ken Goldman Photography, on Flickr

Orcas are magnificent, aren't they?

How long are you going to stay in BC and Alberta? Just be mindful of the distance. British Columbia is just a province of Canada, but it's approximately three times bigger than Germany.

Let me know if you have more questions.

nick.english.dept liked this post

Last edited by ainvan; April 7th, 2017 at 12:38 AM.
ainvan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 08:50 PM   #124
chennaidesi

Likes (Received): 514

Yes, I like to Visit Canada mainly Banff.

ainvan liked this post
chennaidesi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 06:04 PM   #125
guri_gdl

Likes (Received): 364

Hi!
Does anyone have any tips about things to do in Calgary?

I'm going to Banff and Calgary next week, and I have a HUGE list about things to do in Banff, but there's not much information about things to do in Calgary. I'm spending 2 days in the city before coming back to Mx.

Really high expectations about this trip, even without knowing it I have always loved Canada.

ainvan liked this post
guri_gdl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 01:44 PM   #126
ainvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guri_gdl View Post
Hi!
Does anyone have any tips about things to do in Calgary?

I'm going to Banff and Calgary next week, and I have a HUGE list about things to do in Banff, but there's not much information about things to do in Calgary. I'm spending 2 days in the city before coming back to Mx.

Really high expectations about this trip, even without knowing it I have always loved Canada.
Downtown Calgary Event Calendar

Things to Do in Calgary

Lonely Planet: Top Things to Do in Calgary

Tripadvisor: Top 10 Things to Do in Calgary

Yellow Fever liked this post
Old September 16th, 2017, 12:46 PM   #127
ronok

Likes (Received): 4

Canada has many modern, multicultural cities, each with its own distinct personality. Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are possibly the best known, but there are so many others that highlight different aspects of Canada, such as its maritime culture, mountainous landscape, French history, or its indigenous people. Each city is delightful for different reasons.

ainvan liked this post
ronok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2017, 09:18 PM   #128
k5villan

Likes (Received): 1293

i'll be honest and say calgary was like a ghost town when i was there, the stampede finished a couple of days before not sure if that had an impact but saturday night in calgary was probably the quietest city ive seen, was going to go to ranchmans (bar from cool runnings) but the centre was so quiet i didnt bother

its a nice city, clean, nice people, stephen avenue was really pleasant with some decent bars and a great restaurant that i cant remember, nor the name of this place which i had a great drink in

in the day i visited the stampede arena and the olympic park

it was only 2 days 1 night before i moved on but it was enough
k5villan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #129
ainvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guri_gdl View Post
Hi!
I'm going to Banff and Calgary next week, and I have a HUGE list about things to do in Banff
You should take a short hike to the hills southwest of Chateau Lake Louise when you're there. If you're there at the right time during sunset, the view of the turquoise lake is breathtaking.

Lake Louise Sunset by Modifeye, on Flickr
Old September 21st, 2017, 06:42 AM   #130
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 53898

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5villan View Post

in the day i visited the stampede arena and the olympic park

it was only 2 days 1 night before i moved on but it was enough
Im surprise to hear that, Calgary is a tiny town in the world's standard but with over 1.3 millions, its downtown should be at least lively in certain days and hours. Vancouver once had the same pop but downtown was always busy on Robson and Granville streets during day time and before 9pm and it was usually busier on the weekend.
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote