search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2017, 08:41 PM   #3781
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Introducing the Golden Standard of the worst signs ever as approved by AARoads . The sign is located along northbound US 69 at the Mayes/Craig county line (Where else?).
MY EYES!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

zaphod liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2017, 02:15 PM   #3782
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 614

Quote:
Introducing the Golden Standard of the worst signs ever as approved by AARoads . The sign is located along northbound US 69 at the Mayes/Craig county line (Where else?).
The one in the other direction isn't much better
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 10:42 PM   #3783
smokiboy

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Right-of-way acquisition of the Westside Parkway in Bakersfield has been advanced significantly. Interesting that they still build such urban freeways in California.

This is truly unbelievable that in this day and age, knowing what we know of the effect of urban freeways on city life. But taking a better look it seems that this expressway passes through what appears to be a more suburban area. So, it might be better received by the local populous.
smokiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 12:02 AM   #3784
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Look how many houses have been removed, though.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 13th, 2017, 06:43 AM   #3785
smokiboy

Likes (Received): 112

What do you mean by that?
smokiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:02 AM   #3786
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I wonder whether the portion of the local populace that lost their homes (yes, they're compensated, but still) received it well.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 14th, 2017, 02:19 AM   #3787
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 730

I wonder how long this was in the planning stages... looking how there are huge freeways from either side, maybe it's been running around for 40+ years now...
Old September 14th, 2017, 02:58 AM   #3788
TaterTot
Boyle Heights, L.A., CA

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I wonder how long this was in the planning stages... looking how there are huge freeways from either side, maybe it's been running around for 40+ years now...
That's probably how long the plan to build that highway has been around. Also, it's highly likely that the people who were living in those houses were actually renting from Caltrans, instead of being homeowners. This new highway when fully completed, it will be a freeway / expressway link of Interstate 5 to Interstate 15 in Barstow. It has been suggested that it be an extension of Interstate 40 which currently has its western terminus at I-15 in Barstow.
TaterTot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 03:01 AM   #3789
TaterTot
Boyle Heights, L.A., CA

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiboy View Post
This is truly unbelievable that in this day and age, knowing what we know of the effect of urban freeways on city life. But taking a better look it seems that this expressway passes through what appears to be a more suburban area. So, it might be better received by the local populous.
Currently this is a major bottleneck for trucks and cars headed to I-5, which have to take two lane roads and that section of Westside Parkway to get through Bakersfield to the interstate. For trucks heading to northern California from I-40 and I-15, California 58 is a major truck route. This missing link will do a lot to make it easier to get through Bakersfield without impacting local traffic like it does now.

cuartango liked this post
TaterTot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 02:10 PM   #3790
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 17879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
It has been planned for a long time, but the Westside Parkway in western Bakersfield has been a recent development, the first section west of CA-99 opened to traffic in 2013. It was the first new Bakersfield freeway since 1976.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 06:18 PM   #3791
darko06

Likes (Received): 123

At the CA58 there are two gaps. West of Barstow, from Lenwood to Hinkley Rd (about 4 miles) and from Kramer Hills to Boron (roughly 15 miles). Although, from Hinkley Rd to Kramer Hills exists only divided highway (with at-grade intersections). Drove there in 2006, the landscape is amazing with some human made modifications (airplane grave in Mojave, the field of windmills in Tehachapi Valley).

Last edited by darko06; September 15th, 2017 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Error correction.
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 07:49 PM   #3792
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It has been planned for a long time, but the Westside Parkway in western Bakersfield has been a recent development, the first section west of CA-99 opened to traffic in 2013. It was the first new Bakersfield freeway since 1976.
Bakersfield was a lot smaller in 1976 than it is now.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 15th, 2017, 12:46 AM   #3793
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterTot View Post
That's probably how long the plan to build that highway has been around. Also, it's highly likely that the people who were living in those houses were actually renting from Caltrans, instead of being homeowners. This new highway when fully completed, it will be a freeway / expressway link of Interstate 5 to Interstate 15 in Barstow. It has been suggested that it be an extension of Interstate 40 which currently has its western terminus at I-15 in Barstow.
Looking at street view, they sure don't look like rental homes in many of those streets. https://www.google.nl/maps/@35.35937...7i13312!8i6656
Also the whole layout of the neighbourhood doesn't look like consideration was given to a future freeway running through it at the time.
I imagine that the original plan was for the freeway to run parallel with Stockdale Highway.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 03:45 AM   #3794
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Agreed. If the main point was to connect 5 and 15, it's easy enough to bypass Bakersfield....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 15th, 2017, 09:27 PM   #3795
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 53 Virginia, MN

A rerouted portion of US 53 in the town of Virginia, Minnesota will be dedicated today.
MnDOT built the original roadway in 1960 on land owned by iron mining interests. The easement the agency signed to build the road included a requirement that MnDOT would move the road with three years notice if the mining company needed to get to the ore underneath.

In 2010, the mining interests notified MnDOT that the road would need to be moved. Later that year, MnDOT and the mine company agreed to a 2017 date for the road to be moved.

Part of the project development process included mineral rights acquisition. The state has purchased the mineral rights under the new alignment to ensure that MnDOT will not have to move the road again.
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/d1/projects/hwy53relocation/

Old September 18th, 2017, 08:30 PM   #3796
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 54

US 54 goes to Mexico. Both the country and this location; Mexico, Missouri.

D6540_CM-3 by MoDOT Photos, on Flickr
Old September 22nd, 2017, 09:43 PM   #3797
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 169, Minnesota

The highway disappearing act.

Replacing the Hwy 169 bridge over Nine Mile Creek in Hopkins, Minnetonka and Edina. The bridge will be replaced with a causeway, which is a raised road across a low or wet ground. Bridge conditions require that it be replaced by 2020.
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/pro...ins/index.html
After nine months of detours, Hwy. 169 in Edina to open Wednesday

After enduring nine months of detours, drivers in the west metro will once again be able to use Hwy. 169 in Edina when the Minnesota Department of Transportation opens the new Nine Mile Creek bridge at 5 a.m. Wednesday.

The highway has been shut down between Bren Road and Lincoln Drive/5th Street since January as MnDOT took down the old deteriorating bridge and replaced it with a new 3,000-foot causeway that passes over marshland.

More than 90,000 motorists who used the bridge each day before it was torn down have been on detour as MnDOT carried out the $64 million project.
Full report by the Star Tribune: http://www.startribune.com/after-nin...day/446833123/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old September 24th, 2017, 10:56 PM   #3798
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1396

Quote:
It seems Oklahoma has the worst signage of the USA, as all Golden Standards of the worst signs ever as approved by AARoads were placed there. In addition to Craig County, there is this sign at S.E. 44 Th. [sic] and Sooner Rd in the Oklahoma City suburbs.

The following two have since been replaced. This should be technically in the other thread, as it was along Eastbound I-240 at exit 8, replaced sometime between 2008 and 2011.

The final one was along Cherokee Turnpike. Too bad the CONCESSiONS sign was replaced before Google could take a better photo of it...

Tags
united states