daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Social Places and Forum Issues > Sports Center

Sports Center News, photos and discussions of sports events in the Philippines and around the world.

Old April 1st, 2007, 04:47 PM   #1
kikodj
unCivil Engineer

Location: Obando & Sta.maria, Bulacan + Metro Manila + KaMaNaVa + Makati
Likes (Received): 1

BASKETBALL Thread

malapit na ang PlayOffs...

Sponsored Links

Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:38 AM   #2
kikodj
unCivil Engineer

talo ang dallas ko.....("_)
Old April 2nd, 2007, 04:12 PM   #3
dinabaw
"Durian is Here"

Likes (Received): 346

dallas rin ako nako ha 61 game win nila sad ka pa ..go go Yao MIng ay mali Mark Cuban pala
Old April 2nd, 2007, 04:20 PM   #4
-TC-
The OC

Likes (Received): 0

Are any of you guys registered in www.pbfantasy.com?

What is pbfantasy? Philippine Basketball Fantasy (PBFantasy) is a FREE Web-based NBA Salary-Cap Basketball Fantasy game. In this game, you are the general manager (GM) of your basketball team and you are given $50,000,000 (PBFantasy cash) to acquire eight (8) NBA players, namely 2 guards, 2 forwards, 1 center and 3 bench (any position) players. The players you have selected will be earning fantasy points for your team based on their performance in the actual NBA games.

The objective of the game can be one of the following: (1) to earn the highest fantasy points, or (2) to have the highest total value (roster value + remaining cash).

Earning fantasy points is largely based on how well you choose your roster of players. You may, at any point in the game, sell your current players in exchange for better ones. This privilege, also known as trade, however, is limited and so must be used wisely.

Are there any prizes to be won? Prizes for the Top 10 Teams in the PBF Rank by Fantasy Points for Season II:
Grand Prize: Sony Playstation 3
2nd Prize: Apple iPod Video
3rd Prize: Olympus FE-170 Digicam
4th Prize: PhP 1000 Cash
5th Prize: PhP 900 Cash
6th Prize: PhP 800 Cash
7th Prize: PhP 700 Cash
8th Prize: PhP 600 Cash
9th Prize: PhP 500 Cash
10th Prize: PhP 500 Cash

* Season II started on February 21, 2007 @ 12AM PHT until end of NBA finals

Last edited by -TC-; April 2nd, 2007 at 04:27 PM.
-TC- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:47 PM   #5
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 33

ABL.

(anybody but Lakers)

How many days left in the season? The two teams I'm really rooting for are barely in the playoff hunt. Maybe it's too late for them: New York and Golden State.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:12 AM   #6
stlito

I'm a huge Golden State fan, but it's been very disappointing. They haven't been in the playoffs in over a decade. I hope they make it this year. They still have a chance.

I went to a Trailblazers vs. Spurs game at the Rose Garden a few weeks ago. My sales guy knows Brent Barry (plays for the Spurs) personally. We were able to go to the back after the game since we were a guest of a player. I was star struck. I saw Tony Parker, Robert Horry Mike Finley just to name a few.
stlito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:23 AM   #7
kikodj
unCivil Engineer

kobe buwakaw... ("j) mga score na kinakana 81, 50, 65, 53 tsk tsk tsk LUPET!

@dinabaw
hirap na hirap dallas sa phoenix
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:53 AM   #8
dinabaw
"Durian is Here"

oo nga no pero tied sila 2 wins 2 losses sila? pero kung magkitkita man sila uli eh malamang western finals na btw i am not a dallas fan bec they are winning i was their fan when they were still struggling
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:18 AM   #9
kikodj
unCivil Engineer

Mavs fan na ako noon pang nasa dallas pa si steve nash...

umm nag experiment lang ako kung ano mas maraming fans dito sa SCC

NBA or WWE?? parang mas maraming fan ang WWE?? umm mas mahilig ba sila sa muscles compared sa bola?? tsk tsk tsk hehehehehe joke("j)
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #10
kikodj
unCivil Engineer

astig ng laban ng dallas and san antonio kahapon...

suns talo kanina sa rockets...
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #11
bagel

Kobe Bryant is a dork. (an excellent dork, Michael Jordan wannabe, but a dork nonetheless) Lakers lose in the first round.

Good game tonight-- GS Warriors vs. Dallas Mavericks. If the Warriors win and the LA Clippers lose the Warriors are in the playoffs. I'm really rooting for the Warriors tonight. I don't want TWO Los Angeles teams in the playoffs. One is enough. Too bad it's the Lakers... I would've wanted the Clippers in it and the Lakers eliminated before the playoffs.

In the end, now that my real team, the Knicks, are eliminated, I will root for the Nets and Detroit for the whole playoffs. East Coast all the way.

Old April 18th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #12
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 185

I'm a Trail Blazer town.
diz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 12:25 AM   #13
bagel

Ok what are your predictions. First round only please.

Miami vs. Chicago: Miami in 5
San Antonio vs. Denver: San Antonio in 6
Phoenix vs. Lakers: Phoenix in 5
Dallas vs. GS Warriors: Dallas in 6
Toronto vs. NJ Nets: NJ in 6
Houston vs. Utah: Utah in 7
Cleveland vs. Washington: Cleveland in 6
Detroit vs. Orlando: Deroit in 4

Old April 21st, 2007, 07:08 AM   #14
bitoy
The Great Northwest

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
I'm a Trail Blazer town.
Did you watch Clyde in Dancing with the Stars? Buti pa dun, maraming taga Portland nanood.
The last time I watch the Blazers live was when Bonzi Wells was still with them. The Portland Jail-Blazers.

Just hope that we get some better players during the draft.
bitoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:14 AM   #15
Dvorak
COO - Child of Owner

from philstar..

Kobe or MJ?
THE GAME OF MY LIFE By Bill Velasco
The Philippine Star 04/21/2007

The Los Angeles Lakers earned valuable playoff real estate near the rear in the Western Conference, taking the seventh seed. With all the injuries this season, the Showtime gang has needed Herculean efforts from Kobe Bryant to stay in the NBA playoffs.

Meanwhile, the Chicago Tribune has reported that Bryant and Michael Jordan have become good buddies off the court. Amazingly enough, they have managed to cool off the competitive fires that had them in each other’s jerseys when Jordan was still playing. One of the topics they seem to debate about is which of them faced tougher defenses.

Some will argue that Bryant (owner of the most recent superhuman string of 50- and 40-point games and the 81-point explosion that launched a merchandising bonanza for the league) has had to contend with zone defenses and more athletic players. Granted that that may be the case, a good outside shooter can do well in a zone defense (as Kobe has become). But my money’s on Jordan, for several reasons.

When a skinny Jordan left North Carolina to join the struggling Chicago Bulls, who did he have? He joined a team with 38 wins and 44 losses and got blown out in the first round of the playoffs. The following season, Jordan broke his foot, and came back just in time to salvage an appearance against the Boston Celtics in the first round, where he scored a playoff-record 63 points in one game. Larry Bird then made his famous comment "He’s God, disguised as Michael Jordan."

Jordan had entire teams design defenses around him, including the champion Detroit Pistons, who hammered him every time he stubbornly attacked the basket. The Boston Celtics threw its best defensive players at him. He was guarded by everyone from 6’3" Vinnie Johnson to the 6’7" Dennis Rodman to the 6’10" Detlef Schrempf. All great defensive players. Remember the Jordan Rules? That was the name the Pistons internally gave the "no lay-up" rule. Kobe also has some tough dudes to deal with in Ruben Patterson, Ron Artest and others, but I doubt if any of them will be in the Hall of Fame.

In his fifth and sixth seasons, Jordan would take his teams to the brink of championships, losing in the Eastern Conference finals twice before finally claiming his first NBA title. It took seven years for Jordan to win the first of six championships. That was because it took Jerry Krause that long to surround him with quality players like Scottie Pippen and Horace Grant.

When Kobe Bryant entered the NBA, he had Eddie Jones and Nick van Exel to teach him. Actually, Del Harris did a terrible job of keeping Bryant on the bench, and Kobe still had bright spots, albeit horrible moments playing out of control, too. But to his benefit, LA almost traded their entire future away with the uncertainty of landing Shaquille O’Neal. That certainly took a lot of defensive pressure off Bryant.

Early in his career, Kobe became a top sixth man, a Slam Dunk champion and the league’s youngest All-Star Game starter. But he was the second banana on the Lakers when Shaq came along. Even Phil Jackson once blurted "This is Shaq’s team," and offered to trade Bryant, who was increasingly vocal about his discontentment. In spite of that, the Lakers won three championships, from 2000 to 2002.

Also going against Bryant is the fact that he hasn’t won anything without Shaq, or any dominant big man, for that matter. In the six championships that Jordan won, there were only two players present throughout: Jordan and Pippen. That means that Jordan was always the first option, and always the focal point of the defense. Bryant is experiencing that now, but the results are dissimilar.

Furthermore, the NBA has experienced a change in its make-up which impacts the quality of play more in Bryant’s career. More young players entered the league from high school or early college, and more international players (who play less physical defense) also joined the NBA. Add to this an expansion wherein NBDL players get called up even late in the regular season, and you have an idea how diluted the talent has become in some places. In Jordan’s time, you find a big chunk of the league’s 50 greatest players, in a league with less teams.

Given all the adversity Jordan has had to face, look at the hardware. MVP Awards: 5. Finals MVPs: 6. And we’re not even talking years leading the league in scoring, or making the All-Defensive team. Some people say that Bryant is living Jordan’s career, backwards. The championships came first, then the change of number and scoring outbursts. But if you ask me who faced tougher opposition, it’s MJ. No contest.

www.avanzaclub.ph
Dvorak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 10:24 AM   #16
kikodj
unCivil Engineer

my First round predictions.... best of 7 ba format ngayun??

Miami vs. Chicago: Chicago in 6
San Antonio vs. Denver: Denver in 7
Dallas vs. GS Warriors: Dallas in 5
Toronto vs. NJ Nets: Toronto in 6
Houston vs. Utah: houston in 6
Cleveland vs. Washington: Cleveland in 5
Detroit vs. Orlando: Deroit in 5

dirk merong B.O.??? hehehehehe... nabasa ko dati sa phil.Star... extra power nya yun??
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:29 PM   #17
kikodj
unCivil Engineer

the final RACE TO MVP week 24 :by Maurice Brooks

SECAUCUS, N.J., April 17, 2007 -- I walked into my editor’s office the other day (actually, he has a cube) and tried to explain how traffic numbers would decrease without Race to the MVP on the site, like when we took down the NBA.com Dance Team Bracket.
I told him that I still had columns I wanted to write about players like the Warriors’ Baron Davis and the Bobcats’ Gerald Wallace and how I needed another week or two in order to bump Chris Bosh up to the No. 5 spot.

I begged for the chance to write a few more articles so that I could break down how Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan never won three straight MVPs or how come Kobe Bryant, the best player in the game today, still hasn’t won one.

I pleaded my case to be allowed to wax poetic about how this could be the closest MVP vote ever and how after 24 weeks of using my secret scientific formula (it involves player’s names and a dart board), I’m not 100 percent sure of who the choice should be.

And my editor's response?

“Your last Race to the MVP column will come out Tuesday and if you want, you can write a mailbag on Friday.”

Disappointed, I walked away mumbling how I need more time.

I tried people, really I did. Unfortunately the most valuable player is a regular season award. The league starts playing for keeps on Saturday.

So, the winner of the 2006-07 MVP Award is … Tim Duncan.

Just kidding. Although it did cross my mind for a second. After all, Timmy basically does everything on the court perfectly.

From running the pick-and-roll to always being in the correct position on both ends of the floor, there aren't many things he can't do. He is the unquestioned leader of a Spurs team that will finish with the third-best record in the league.

Although his numbers aren't through the roof, they are definitely good enough to be in the MVP conversation. Still, the Spurs seem to win games when he puts up average stats like 12 points and 10 rebounds. And this year, more than any year in the past, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili took on a bigger role for San Antonio.

Every season a case can be made for Duncan to be the winner. This season is the exception.

So that means Kobe Bryant is taking home the trophy, right?

Wrong.

No, Kobe Bean Bryant won’t be named MVP this season. Heck, Bryant, arguably the best basketball player in the world, probably won’t even finish second or third when the results are officially announced in a few weeks.

For all of the gifts he displays on the court, Bryant fell short in a key category needed to claim the league's most prestigious award - winning. With one game left in the season, the Lakers are only 41-40.

Phil Jackson set the team up for Kobe to take all of the shots, to have the ball in the key possessions and to get all of the credit for their success. With that being said, KB24 has to get the blame when they come up short.

So despite his 10 50-point games, Kobe is not the guy.

That opens the door for Tracy McGrady.

Stop laughing. I'm being serious. Who in the league is playing better than T-Mac right now? When Yao was sidelined with the leg injury it was McGrady that held the Rockets down. Now that Yao is back, McGrady is playing better than ever. When healthy, he meant as much to his team as any player in the league.

The main reason he won't win the award is because he didn't become a serious contender until right before the All-Star break and because Yao may steal a vote or two away from him.

So that means the more things change, the more they stay the same. Steve Nash does it again.

Nash, has taken home the trophy at the conclusion of the past two seasons. He is the heart and soul of a truly special team and is trying to join immortals Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain and Larry Bird as the only players to ever be named MVP three times in a row.

As great as he has been in this, his career season, it is hard to imagine Nash accomplishing something that legendary players such as Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson couldn’t accomplish. Watch a Suns game and it is almost impossible not to fall in love with what he does on the court. His game is beautiful.

Obviously he makes everyone around him better. He almost always makes the right decision with the ball and is just as good at scoring as he is at passing. Phoenix is 2-4 when Nash, who this season has career highs in field-goal percentage (53.4), three-point percentage (46.0), scoring (18.8) and assists (11.6), is out of the lineup.

After saying all of that, how can he not be the winner?

There won't be a three-peat this season because the winner of the Haier Race to the MVP is Dirk Nowitzki.

If you have been following the R2MVP, and I know you have been, you know by now that Nowitzki has been the man to beat for weeks. As soon as the Mavericks won their 60th game and had their sights set on 70, the award became his to win or lose and he has definitely done nothing to lose it.

He has become one of the most versatile players in the game. His limitless range on his jumper always has to be on a defense's mind, while he can also kill teams from the free-throw line, high post, mid post and low post.

Also, he is an above-average rebounder and his defense has improved.

The Mavericks, who started 0-4 and have gone 66-10 since, are having one of the best NBA seasons ever. Nowitzki is the biggest reason for their success. A year after they fell just short of winning the NBA title, he has made sure they haven't let down.

He is the team leader, both on and off the court, and the most deserving recipient of the 2006-07 MVP award.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:16 AM   #18
dinabaw
"Durian is Here"

Miami vs. Chicago: Chicago in 5
San Antonio vs. Denver: SA in 7
Dallas vs. GS Warriors: Dallas in 5
Toronto vs. NJ Nets: NJ Nets in 7
Houston vs. Utah: Houston in 6
Cleveland vs. Washington: Cleveland in 6
Detroit vs. Orlando: Deroit in 6

Champion : Dallas Mavericks
MVP regular and playoffs : Dirk Nowitzki
Old April 22nd, 2007, 04:29 PM   #19
renell
Here Since 2002

Likes (Received): 4

Wow I'm amazed Toronto is high up there then again I haven't kept track of NBA in about 3 months ever since the Pacers started going downhill.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:21 AM   #20
bagel

YES!

Golden State Warriors defeated the Dallas Mavericks 97-85 in Game 1 of their playoff series!

And also Denver beat the Spurs!