SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mumbai | Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport | BOM

Tags
mumbai
6M views 21K replies 781 participants last post by  90sKid 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Request to all interested postees to submit new developments / pictures on Mumbai International on this page
_________

Project Information
Mumbai's CSIA airport is currently being upgraded in light of the booming air traffic growth in the Indian aviation. According to the plan, Mumbai's airport will have a new terminal, a new ATC, new taxiways and have its old terminals upgraded.

Designed by SOM architects, a new integrated terminal spread across 4.8mn sq ft will be able to handle 40 mn passengers/annum by the time it is fully functional in 2015.

The design combines an innovative set of swing facilities to optimize utilization of the terminal across the 24-hour operational day.

L&T constructions bagged the $1.4bn contract to construct the terminal in November 2007.

The integrated terminal will be built in 2 phases.
In the first phase, the international terminal T2A will be torn down and will pave the way for the construction of one side of the new terminal. This section is expected to be opened in 2013. In the second phase, T2B+T2C will be torn down to make way for the second and last section of the new terminal. Construction of this section will end in 2015.

Proposed Developments:
  • 11 Rapid Exit Taxiways and 4 Parallel Taxiways to increase the operational efficiency of the cross runway system
  • Expansion of the airport operational area
  • Construction of New ATC Tower
  • Implementation of a model Slum Rehabilitation scheme in line with the State Government Policy
  • Best in class technology for Airport Operations
  • Environmental Up gradation through use of unique,integrated Architectural & Urban Design image, large green areas, indoor & outdoor Landscaped Areas, Rainwater Harvesting and Energy Conservation

Video - slides showing the design features

Key Facilities at the Revamped CSIA:
Code:
[B]Facilities	                    Proposed	Existing[/B]
Parking stands for aircraft	     106 	84
Boarding Bridges	             66         18
Check-in counters	             339	182
Car parking                  	     12000	3600

Another new terminal dubbed T1C has also been constructed. It was opened in April 2010 and connects T1A and T1B. This terminal also houses a 72 room hotel.

Some pictures taken by fellow member KB335ci2:

Design of the new ATC tower that'll be ready in 2012:

It has been designed by HBS architects and according to fellow member KB335ci2, it'll be 98.4m tall. Here's an awesome sketch drawn by him -

Apart from those developments, city-side infrastructure for hotels, business centres, retails, entertainment and leisure are also being developed.

See less See more
1 16
#11,584 ·
Simply amazing...

This proves we can not only be master builders, but can have amazing infrastructure too. It is now up to us all to maintain it and not just blame GVK if it gets messy e.g garbage everywhere etc.
GVK will surely do a first class job of maintaining this edifice.
We'll probably have to worry about the issue when GVK's lease expires and the terminal goes back into AAI's hands. :eek:hno:

#11,596 ·
It is impressive but for some reason does not do it for me. I'm sure it will come together once seating and facilities etc are in place, but why so dark? Why do Indian airports avoid glass ceilings or more usage of glass? Natural lighting creates a greater sense of spaciousness IMO.

#11,597 ·
^One thing I will relish to the fullest extent when this terminal opens and I get to use it-going RIGHT UP TO the windows to look at planes!!! I think I will have to pinch myself to be sure this can be done at BOM, for the first time ever, no arrivals corridor separating you from a great view of the airfield outside! :D

#11,600 · (Edited)
Mumbai new T2

Just can wait see this beauty of 1st of feb...:D
It's not 1st of feb its 15th january will open. Once completed, CSIA will be capable of handling 40 million passengers and 1 million metric tonnes of cargo annually. The new integrated terminal T2 will open for international operations on January 15, 2014. The construction of a dedicated six lane, elevated road connecting the new terminal with the main arterial Western Express Highway is underway.