SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Czech Forum

26K views 74 replies 34 participants last post by  slecnatynka 
#1 ·
Congratulations on a new forum! :eek:kay:

Working titles of your sections "Projects and Constructions" and "Photography" are only temporary. We expect you to come up with new names which will be less generic and specific to this section. Keep in mind every title also has a subtitle. So for an example "Photography" forum can have a subtitle in Czech - "Fotografie".

If you want the forum name to be changed to Czech Republic, Czechia or Česko please say. Subtitle for a forum name can be made as well.

We also expect you to decide whether you want your forum to be in English or in Czech. English makes it more readable for foreigners but Czech will boost the activity. It's up to you.

I will check back in couple of days to see what have you decided. Give priority to the decision on section titles and subtitles.

:cheers1:

#42 ·
^^
Can you understand Khanty or Mansi? At least the context

Also heart hrabrost srdce is an error. Hrabost is bravery in Serbian and srce is heart. But those are just random words which are the same but it's not enough for a complete mutual understanding, especially the spoken word can be hard to comprehend. Slovakian for some reason is much more understandable.

#43 ·
^^
Can you understand Khanty or Mansi? At least the context
Not a single word...maybe a few. This is because the fact that hungarian was reformed at the turn of the century(+immense turkish influence),often creating new words,and leaving old writing behind(like gyufa-match-is derived from gyujtó cska-lighting stick).

The old hungarian looked like this:

Volek Syrolm thudothlon
Syrolmol Sepedyk.
buol ozuk epedek

this text with current alphabet:

Volék sirolm tudotlon.
Sirolmol sepedik,
Búol oszuk, epedek.

and in current hungarian:

Nem ismertem a siralmat,
Most siralom sebez,
Fájdalom gyötör, epeszt.

So in a way,at least compared to my language,serbian and czech are closely related,and slovak and czech are the same...

#45 ·
Czech and Serbian are more like French and English, Czech and German, or Czech and Hungarian.. some words are the same, but grammar is tottally different.. I understand some serbian words, but nothing more.. Me as a common czech understand slovak and polish languages (and maybe sorbian - all Western Slavic languages), although I cannot speak in those languages fluently..

#47 ·
Czech and Serbian are more like French and English, Czech and German, or Czech and Hungarian..
? I'm not telling I understand Serbian language much, but you can hardly compare it with languages from roman, german or ugro-finnic languge group.
Many words are similar, pronunciation is bit different but if I moved to Serbia it will take me let say few weeks to adopt the language to be able to converse about basic topics. I think it would be easier than to speak and understand Polish.

These words are pretty similar:
English Serbian Czech
bravery hrabrost chrabrost
fish riba ryba
ten deset deset

What suprises me is this similarity with Croatian language:
English Croatian Czech
September Rujan Září
October Listopad Říjen
November Studeni Listopad
December Prosinac Prosinec
seems that October and November are one month later in Czechia than Croatia :)

#48 ·
kokpit I believe there is a story behind the name of each month in Czech, somebody told me the legends once and it was very beautiful but I can't remember now. I wish I had written it down. Rawlee, Australian English and UK English are almost identical but American English is different. American multinational shops here use words that I don't even understand (like "raincheck"???!). And if you call somebody "homely" here or in UK it's a compliment, in US it is an insult! (However thanks to Hollywood junk culture almost everyone is speaking American anyway!)

Czechs and Slovaks mix a lot here (e.g. in Sokol Club) and I ask my wife how the conversations go. She says she speaks Czech and they speak Slovak and they understand each others' general meaning but she doesn't understand every word they say - but enough to get by, and conversation is still very fast to me!

#49 ·
Dobrý den,

Sorry for interrupting the language discussion, my Czech is too basic to get involved in it. I wonder if anyone here can tell me of a particularly big celebration involving Jan Hus on July 6th, I know about him and his teachings so please don't tell me more about that, all I want to know is there a particular place in the Czech Republic where it is celebrated more than others and what do they do in commemorating him?

Thanks in Advance

#51 ·
Sorry for interrupting the language discussion, my Czech is too basic to get involved in it. I wonder if anyone here can tell me of a particularly big celebration involving Jan Hus on July 6th, I know about him and his teachings so please don't tell me more about that, all I want to know is there a particular place in the Czech Republic where it is celebrated more
than others and what do they do in commemorating him?
Největší slavnost bude pravděpodobně na Staroměstském náměstí v Praze a v místě Husova narození někde v jižních Čechách. Kde zjistit nějaké podrobnosti a časové údaje opravdu netuším....If you don't understand it, write :)

What suprises me is this similarity with Croatian language:
English Croatian Czech
September Rujan Září
October Listopad Říjen
November Studeni Listopad
December Prosinac Prosinec
seems that October and November are one month later in Czechia than Croatia :)
Interesting, it seems that leafs come down earlier in Croatia than here.

#50 ·
They can be equally different and similar. For an example take this attention from Prague subway "Please finish exiting and boarding the train, the doors are closing":

Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají. Příští stanice ...

which directly translated without style changes is:

Prekinite/Okončajte, molim, izlazak i ulazak, vrata se zatvaraju. Sledeća stanica ...

#53 ·
Czesc
Mam nietypowe pytanie do czeskich uzytkownikow, czy w czeskiej klawiaturze - chodzi mi o laptopa - lewy klawisz Ctrl dziala normalnie czy ma jakies specjalne funkcje, nie dziala mi skrot lewy Ctrl+o - nie otwiera mi dokumentow - open, tak ma byc czy jest popsuty, tylko ten klawisz nie ma takiej funkcji jak w angielskiej klawiaturze.
Dziekuje za odpowiedz
Pozdrawiam

#55 · (Edited)
cernoch:

Are all Slavic languages difficult and specific? For who? Yes, any Slavic language is difficult for a Dutch as Dutch is difficult for all of us, Slavs.

Bosnian is definitely not as specific among Slavic languages as Polish is, for example.

The fact you don't understand Serbian doesn't mean that it is not relatively similar language. It is more similar to Czech than any non-Slavic language for sure.

And, yes. Czech and Slovak may be understood as dialects of the same language from surround us, depends where you put a border line dialect/other language. Czechs and Slovaks understand themselves as two nations with different history, two countries. And so they understand languages as two different ones. And so... the other world respect it and understand Czech and Slovak as two languages.

Btw.:
When you exclude English from among Germanic languages,
and French from among Latin languages,
then you can say Slavic language group is as different within as Germanic or Latin group are.

People speaking Germanic and Latin languages generally have very low or even not-at-all experience with Slavic languages and tend to hear them as "almost the same". They are wrong but it doesn't mean any longer that Slavic tongues aren't similar. A Czech may hear Spanish and Portuguese as almost the same (they are not) as well as Dutch and Danish (neither they are). It is matter of being used to. So. The free Europe is today, the more "westerners" will come to contact with Slavic languages. And so, they will realize knowing Bulgarian will help them to learn Polish, but not that much they thought it will.
:)

I don't understand why do you try to make Slavic languages so different within? Being afraid that "the much they will think our languages are similar, the much they will consider us as like-Russians"? So what? It is a problem of people thinking like that, not our problem and not problem of our languages... I think the opposite way. The much people from the west will consider us as "like-Russians" (in like-undeveloped stereotype meaning), the much they may get nice surprised when they will see Czech republic looks (relatively) similar to western countries today.

Norkey:

You didn't mean seriously that Czech and Serbian are as far from each other as Czech and Hungarian are, did you?

PS: Že já nešťastná jsem si nevzala Pištu Hufnágla!
:D

#56 ·
You didn't mean seriously that Czech and Serbian are as far from each other as Czech and Hungarian are, did you?

PS: Že já nešťastná jsem si nevzala Pištu Hufnágla!
:D
This discussion is soooooooooooo old :)

Historically, hungarians absorbed many of their slavic/german neighbours' culture, and for me it's nearly the same when I hear serbian or hungarian, I cannot understand both :dunno:

#62 ·
Dear members of the Czech Forum,

we have opened a new section called Kavárna. It is a section for all off topic threads. This move is both required by new forum rules, and will also definitely increase the quality of this section as new visitors will not be faced with off topic threads as the first thing that they see. The name of this section is provisional and you may suggest a better one.

Cheers :cheers:

#63 · (Edited)
I would strongly suggest to rename the aforementioned new section to "Hospoda" as far more Czechs are into beer than into coffee.

If the real world habits of Czechs translate into the cyberspace properly, a place called "Hospoda" will surely attract much more visitors than a "Kavárna".

Also Hospoda, not Kavárna is the place where Czechs discuss topics of utmost importance in the most clever and intelligent manner. Average hospoda goer has a perfect grasp of great variety of matters, especially, but not limited to, economy, politics and - of course - footbal and his expertise grows with each new beer consumed - while average kavárna guest might have some faint understanding of theater or liberal science or similar fringe stuff but in everything else s/he sucks big time (*unless it's a kavárna, where they serve beer on tap like eg Café NONA and is, in fact, a hospoda in disguise).

I'm not insisting, just beer for thought.

#67 ·
Hello guys.

I know this will sound weird but i'd like your help please, if is there any Czech person out there!

I'm worker in a company that creates tv games for lots of countries, and i have to do a game for the Czech country. My idea is to do a game based on Czech names, but since it's not my native language, i'd like to ask for your help or show me another direction if you dont want this post here.

I was looking for something on the internet that could have the list of Czech names but not the unusual names and i was also looking for one name that is unusual and that most of Czech people could not reach it.

Thanks a lot.

#69 ·
That would be VERY heplful LOL :D

Other site I do not have a better idea, how to help... . As Singoone said, it is list of all czech names, but no one from the list capture above (except the ‘Adam’) is a typical Czech name in my opinion. Some names I never heard before! :)
Maybe you should check the diacritic, so you choose the original Czech name or Czech transcription am least. Or just choose and check with native speaker ;)

#70 ·
Well, it is possible to use these lists of the most frequently used czech names from Wikipedia:

male: cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seznam_nejčastějších_mužských_jmen_v_České_republice
female: cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seznam_nejčastějších_ženských_jmen_v_České_republice

(Sorry, I can't post direct link ... < 10 posts :) ... )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.