SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrolink Updates

9M views 58K replies 802 participants last post by  Ashtonian 
#1 ·
Seeing as the last thread seems to have gone here is another...

The following shows the madness of spending money on roads to relief congestion instead of trams...

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/men/news/s/166/166225_bumper_business_chokes_the_roads.html

Bumper business chokes the roads
Yakub Qureshi

JAMS: early morning traffic on the A57TAMESIDE has the biggest traffic growth in the country, figures reveal today.

A congestion blacklist published by the Department of Transport showed there were 36 per cent more cars and lorries on Tameside roads than in 1997 - the biggest increase in England.

Two other Greater Manchester areas, Oldham, in second place with 32.4 per cent, and Bury, 18 per cent, also recorded some of the sharpest rises in congestion. Tameside, Oldham and Bury were all above the national increase of 11 per cent.

Transport groups said the findings confirmed their worst fears about congestion in the region and blamed the delay of the Metrolink extension for increasing traffic jams.

Traffic bosses said they believed the bulk of the increase was due to the addition of the M60 Denton to Middleton extension, which had brought more traffic to area.

Coun Alan Whitehead, Tameside's executive member for technical services, said: "When there are good connections more people will want to use them. Regeneration has seen a lot firms moving into Tameside.

"People want to come to the great workshops of Manchester, and developments in places like Glossop, High Peak and Saddleworth means there will be additional traffic coming through Tameside."

Congestion

He believed the planned Metrolink extension, which was promised in the government's election manifesto, would help ease congestion.

Andrew Shaw, co-ordinator of Friends of the Earth Oldham, said: "There has definitely been an increase of traffic. The M60 has brought an associated increase in traffic throughout the borough and people are travelling more between their homes and work.

"The government is throwing a lot of money at the road network at the same time that it has reneged on its promise for the new Metrolink to Oldham and Tameside."

The Liberal Democrats, who requested the information, which dates from when Labour came into government, said motorists should be charged for driving into urban areas.

Tom Brake MP, the party's transport spokesman, claimed London-style congestion fees would cut traffic and fund better public transport.

He said: "John Prescott infamously remarked that if the government did not reduce road traffic it would have failed. These figures are the clearest indicator that it has failed."

See less See more
#19,623 ·
Is there a closet Latics fan at Queens Road or something? They certainly seem to over estimate the crowds at Boundary Park.

Also note the error in the info about the match....

Oldham vs Crewe 29th December 2012

On Saturday 29th December 2012 Oldham vs Doncaster Kick off 15:00
(Published:24/12/2012)

Before the game

Services will be busy and passengers should allow extra time for their journey.
After the game

Someone needs to proof read before posting again
Nope, Freel - that's right. Oldham Arthritic are such a tour de force that they play 'em 2 at a time - OAFC vs Crewe & Doncaster has been on the fixtures list all year ;)

#19,624 ·
Is there a closet Latics fan at Queens Road or something? They certainly seem to over estimate the crowds at Boundary Park.

Also note the error in the info about the match....

Oldham vs Crewe 29th December 2012

On Saturday 29th December 2012 Oldham vs Doncaster Kick off 15:00
(Published:24/12/2012)

Before the game

After the game

Someone needs to proof read before posting again
^^ I still not get why this is on Metrolink website as ground is no way near any Metrolink stop on Oldham line, really they should do like the done for Man Utd game and say "Passengers should get off at Oldham Mumps stop and catch free Metroshuttle bus to Oldham Bus station, then catch 409 service which are every 10 mins and get off at Royal Oldham Hopsital" that would be easy for Crewe fans as that might think there tram stop near Latics ground knowing they isn't one.

#19,629 ·
Not 'BS' at all.

However ORL and SML will get their 6 minute service as and when network capacity (rather than numbers of trams) is available. The intended service pattern of two 12 minute services with one running to Rochdale and one turning short at Shaw will happen once TMS in the city, Victoria and St Peters Square are completed. Until then there simply isn't the capacity in terms of paths through the section between Cornbrook and Piccadilly Delta. The use of doubles to assist is dependant on the resolution of Mosley Street stop, whether that will happen before work starts at Victoria who knows.
I know I'm thinking of short term capacity enhancements for lines while we don't have full TMS implementation. We need it on most of the network for 6 minute services as LGN has pointed out. It's not ideal as I said but it would provide an attractive style in new areas yet still give some service in existing parts. It's VERY cynical and yes people will not be happy.

I think people underestimate how busy Eccles and MCUK trams can get during peak times.
It would have helped if I'd have had some kind of passenger number documentation when saying this... ;)

Metrolink need to have a serious look at increasing capacity
Indeed but right now we're waiting for TMS to give us the necessary equipment for 6 minute services and increased capacity in the Cornbrook area. If I recall correctly it will go from something like 30 tph maximum to 80 tph once full TMS.

They should aim to make all trams double units after the big bang is completed as the next Metrolink landmark.
That would require more trams and if they want that they'd need to place orders soon or in 2017 or when ever they choose for this I doubt bombardier would reopen the production line so they'd end up with the prospect of two types of trams...

#19,630 ·
They should aim to make all trams double units after the big bang is completed as the next Metrolink landmark.
The should aim to run an efficient network, which means operating the appropriate number of cars to meet the demand on the route at the particular time of day. Which probably means more doubles than we see today, but certainly not all services.

#19,631 ·
Question: does anyone have any information on how many people have made a journey on another form of transport, rather than using Metrolink, as a direct result of overcrowding?

Surely this gives us the data to support the business case for capacity enhancements: i.e. if we added x more vehicles to service y we would generate £z million per year in additional revenue.

#19,632 ·
The should aim to run an efficient network, which means operating the appropriate number of cars to meet the demand on the route at the particular time of day. Which probably means more doubles than we see today, but certainly not all services.
There are limiting factors to your cunning plan though which are frequently mentioned when people suggest this.

There aren't enough trams for double ALT-BUR, PIC-ECC, SWR-S&C which are the main services which need capacity enhancements. Even if we did they couldn't run now because of Mosley Street and the lack of TMS

#19,633 ·
How often do Phase 1 trams find their way onto Eccles/Mediacity UK Line these days only I had a ride on 1017 last night at about 19:50 from Eccles-Piccadilly

Also over the past 2 days I've noticed 1007 operating on its own on Piccadilly services and also I'm pretty sure that last night 3044 was out on a Piccadilly service although not sure where from

#19,634 ·
How often do Phase 1 trams find their way onto Eccles/Mediacity UK Line these days only I had a ride on 1017 last night at about 19:50 from Eccles-Piccadilly

Also over the past 2 days I've noticed 1007 operating on its own on Piccadilly services and also I'm pretty sure that last night 3044 was out on a Piccadilly service although not sure where from
The service being run yesterday and the day before was Saturday service, but with no doubles running. As is usual in that situation, there were solo T68s out. Until recently that would have been inevitable, since there would not have been sufficient M5000s and T68As available to cover the 42 runnings. That is now not the case, since there are theoretically 44 M5000s and six T68As available, but nevertheless yesterday 1007 was on Picc-Bury, 1017 on Picc-Eccles/Media, and 1023 on Bury-Alt direct. There were two T68As out, one on Picc-Bury and one on directs.
I first saw 3044 heading into Piccadilly presumably operating the 1623 ex-Alt. It returned as the 1659 Picc-Alt.

#19,635 ·
29/12/2012 15:18 Oldham Line suspended

Metrolink services

Due to a points failure on the Oldham line, services are temporarily suspended. Passengers may use Metrolink tickets on the in service bus numbers 82 and 83 between Oldham and Manchester. 58 and 59 between Oldham and Shaw, the 181 and 182 between Shaw and Manchester.

Services from St Werburghs Road will termimate at Victoria.

Metrolink would like to apologise for the inconvenience and delay this may cause.

A 6 minute service is operating on the Altrincham and Bury lines.

A 12 minute service is operating on the Eccles/MediaCityUK Line.

A service is operating between St Werburghs Road and Victoria Station.
oh 'eck! Single line or turn back?

#19,636 ·
29/12/2012 16:02 Oldham Line Resumed

Metrolink services

Due to an earlier points failure at Newton Heath and Moston on the Oldham line, services between Shaw&Crompton and St Werburghs Road are suffering from delays.

Metrolink would like to apologise any inconvenience and delay this may cause.

A 6 minute service is operating on the Altrincham and Bury lines.

A 12 minute service is operating on the Eccles/MediaCityUK Line.

A service is operating between Shaw&Crompton and St. Werburghs Road.

So it was the single line :bash:
Glad to see 'a service' is operating on ORL! ;)

#19,637 · (Edited)
There are limiting factors to your cunning plan though which are frequently mentioned when people suggest this.

There aren't enough trams for double ALT-BUR, PIC-ECC, SWR-S&C which are the main services which need capacity enhancements. Even if we did they couldn't run now because of Mosley Street and the lack of TMS
Another limiting factor is the power supply. It is designed for the planned service pattern with a little spare capacity. It would struggle to cope with a whole host of doubles. Even with the longer headways running at present the problem of sets bunching would lead to circuit breakers tripping due to the load being more concentrated. In order to cater for 9 doubles on the Bury Line Bowker Vale substation had to be provided and a number of others upgraded as there had always been problems with capacity between Radcliffe and Woodlands Road. Dane Road is another location where capacity problems exist. The Altrincham Line supply has also been upgraded at least once.

#19,640 ·
Here some picture that I took this Afternoon at Derker and Shaw & Crompton stops and few trams in they too.

All picture of Derker Metrolink stop.

Derker Metrolink stop

Posted at Derker stop

Sign at Derker stop

Sign at Derker Metrolink stop 2

3001 Metrolink tram

3001 Metrolink tram

3026 Metrolink tram

Metrolink tram coming into Derker stop

3026 Metrolink tram

Metrolink tram heading off to Oldham

Next stop Shaw

Next Stop Shaw

All picture at Shaw & Crompton stop

Sign at Shaw & Crompton

Sign at Shaw Metrolink stop

3006 tram waiting at Shaw

3006 Metrolink tram

3017 Metrolink tram

Metrolink tram coming into Shaw stop

3017 Metrolink tram at Shaw

3017 Metrolink tram

^^ That was took at Freehold stop

Hollinwood Metrolink stop

Hollinwood Metrolink stop

Sign at Hollinwood now got Shaw on it

Sign at Hollinwood stop

3024 tram waiting at Hollinwood

3024 Metrolink tram

Happy New Year to all Metrolink follows :banana::banana::banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.