SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrolink Updates

9M views 58K replies 802 participants last post by  Ashtonian 
#1 ·
Seeing as the last thread seems to have gone here is another...

The following shows the madness of spending money on roads to relief congestion instead of trams...

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/men/news/s/166/166225_bumper_business_chokes_the_roads.html

Bumper business chokes the roads
Yakub Qureshi

JAMS: early morning traffic on the A57TAMESIDE has the biggest traffic growth in the country, figures reveal today.

A congestion blacklist published by the Department of Transport showed there were 36 per cent more cars and lorries on Tameside roads than in 1997 - the biggest increase in England.

Two other Greater Manchester areas, Oldham, in second place with 32.4 per cent, and Bury, 18 per cent, also recorded some of the sharpest rises in congestion. Tameside, Oldham and Bury were all above the national increase of 11 per cent.

Transport groups said the findings confirmed their worst fears about congestion in the region and blamed the delay of the Metrolink extension for increasing traffic jams.

Traffic bosses said they believed the bulk of the increase was due to the addition of the M60 Denton to Middleton extension, which had brought more traffic to area.

Coun Alan Whitehead, Tameside's executive member for technical services, said: "When there are good connections more people will want to use them. Regeneration has seen a lot firms moving into Tameside.

"People want to come to the great workshops of Manchester, and developments in places like Glossop, High Peak and Saddleworth means there will be additional traffic coming through Tameside."

Congestion

He believed the planned Metrolink extension, which was promised in the government's election manifesto, would help ease congestion.

Andrew Shaw, co-ordinator of Friends of the Earth Oldham, said: "There has definitely been an increase of traffic. The M60 has brought an associated increase in traffic throughout the borough and people are travelling more between their homes and work.

"The government is throwing a lot of money at the road network at the same time that it has reneged on its promise for the new Metrolink to Oldham and Tameside."

The Liberal Democrats, who requested the information, which dates from when Labour came into government, said motorists should be charged for driving into urban areas.

Tom Brake MP, the party's transport spokesman, claimed London-style congestion fees would cut traffic and fund better public transport.

He said: "John Prescott infamously remarked that if the government did not reduce road traffic it would have failed. These figures are the clearest indicator that it has failed."

See less See more
#19,747 ·
Forgot to mention.

Weekend tickets are up to £5.50 from £5 last year.

Quite some increase that.

Also, the Group Ticket (previously the 4 Adult ticket) is now £10.50 from £10.
^^ It only 50p more then they were and if u got weekend tickets is only £2.75 per day (Saturday & Sunday) and plus it still lot cheap then catching the bus special if u live near me.

Also Day Ticket have gone up to £4.90 but I notice last Thursday on Freehold stop and Piccadilly Garden, they still had posted up saying day ticket £4.50 and weekend ticket for £5 I hope they remove the posted now or people would start conplain to Metrolink staff.

#19,749 ·
Was bored earlier today so decided to try drawing the new lines and existing ones on Google Earth, to give an at-a-glance view of the new lines' lengths and shapes compared to the existing lines - it's rotated slightly from proper North, but it should be clear which line is which - black is existing lines...:lol:

Shows how mammoth the ORL really is, and how twisty-turny the Airport line is!

#19,750 · (Edited)
Of all the people who have to say sorry on these forums I think you are right at the back of the queue ;)
I am getting to a stage now where some of my knowledge is past it's sell by date I'm afraid. That's one major reason why I spend so much time out and about with the camera. Thanks for the compliment though. Its always nice to hear about something new as well.

#19,751 ·
The one at the Manchester end of the inbound platform of Deansgate-Castlefield, just before the public crossing of the tracks.
TRTS signal 145 is the signal which has been passed at danger without authority in recent years so it is just a reminder to the driver to TRTS before proceeding.
Signal 146-Deansgate o/b and 148 on Deansgate ramp also a high risk SPAD signal.

#19,753 ·
Got a shock this morning going over the bridge leaving DGCF outbound, look down at the NR track and bam! Wires!

Surely my powers of observation are not so lacking that I had failed to notice these two weeks ago?

#19,754 ·
Got a shock this morning going over the bridge leaving DGCF outbound, look down at the NR track and bam! Wires!

Surely my powers of observation are not so lacking that I had failed to notice these two weeks ago?
They don't go far though as the pilons aren't in place over Water Street yet. I think they only did that bit while there were no trains over Christmas and they could at least get the junction wired without closing the lines.

#19,759 ·
TRTS signal 145 is the signal which has been passed at danger without authority in recent years so it is just a reminder to the driver to TRTS before proceeding.
Signal 146-Deansgate o/b and 148 on Deansgate ramp also a high risk SPAD signal.
But surely, 145 doesn't clear until and unless the driver hits TRTS? In which case, why would he be proceeding anyway, with a red aspect alight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.