daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Milwaukee

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2018, 07:43 PM   #1261
MilwaukeeMax
🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲

Likes (Received): 3073

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrewers View Post
I like both of those spots for a soccer stadium. Something like Toyota Park in suburban Chicago with an open end for concerts which would be really cool with the skyline in the background.

Is the Bradley Center's parking structure coming down too? If so, that entire parcel could be another interesting spot for a soccer stadium that would help activate the Live Block during the summer time.

Yes. I think I have mentioned before - a spot along 6th St across from the Harley Museum (currently where there are a couple odd-places concrete manufacturing facilities) would be IDEAL for a 20,000 seat soccer stadium. MKE-MSP-CHI, I would give your post a thumbs up for this, but honestly Milwaukee was so close to landing an MLS team in last years, I don’t know why on earth you would say the city “will never” get one.
If a deal could be struck with MU to build a stadium at this location to be shared with a professional soccer team, I would wager you a very handsome bet that MLS would look to expand here finally. The missing piece has always been the stadium. The league has done their homework and knows there is a very strong following of soccer in Milwaukee. This site on 6th street would be perfectly central and strategically close to the south side and the city’s Latin Quarter, where more people care about LigaMX than any of the major American sports combined (if you shop at El Rey, they don’t sell Rodgers jerseys or Braun T-shirt’s bear the register... they sell LigaMX and national team soccer kits).

Mesheke, Mr. Milwaukee liked this post
MilwaukeeMax no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2018, 08:18 PM   #1262
WisBearcat

Likes (Received): 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMax View Post
Yes. I think I have mentioned before - a spot along 6th St across from the Harley Museum (currently where there are a couple odd-places concrete manufacturing facilities) would be IDEAL for a 20,000 seat soccer stadium. MKE-MSP-CHI, I would give your post a thumbs up for this, but honestly Milwaukee was so close to landing an MLS team in last years, I don’t know why on earth you would say the city “will never” get one.
If a deal could be struck with MU to build a stadium at this location to be shared with a professional soccer team, I would wager you a very handsome bet that MLS would look to expand here finally. The missing piece has always been the stadium. The league has done their homework and knows there is a very strong following of soccer in Milwaukee. This site on 6th street would be perfectly central and strategically close to the south side and the city’s Latin Quarter, where more people care about LigaMX than any of the major American sports combined (if you shop at El Rey, they don’t sell Rodgers jerseys or Braun T-shirt’s bear the register... they sell LigaMX and national team soccer kits).
The idea of a multi-use stadium that could host collegiate soccer, high school football, exhibition games and other events would be beneficial to Milwaukee and could be a boost for the community. That being said I would be absolutely shocked if Milwaukee ever got an MLS team. For those who do not follow soccer and do not know. MLS is currently in the middle of its current expansion process awarding the 25rd and 26th teams, with Nashville being awarded spot 25, and the other finalist Cincinnati, Sacramento and Detroit fighting over the last spot. MLS has said they will go to 28 teams so you would figure the losers of the current round as well as the other teams that applied but were not finalist this year would apply again. There were 12 applications this year and all twelve have or are starting a USL (Second Tier) soccer team.

Milwaukee currently do not have a professional team in the second or third tier and have a horrible track record of maintaining a pro or even semi-pro level team. While there may be a soccer fan base it would appear at this time that this fan base is perfectly fine with supporting other teams. MLS can see an available market like Milwaukee but I do not see an ownership group that is willing to fork over $150 million for just the entrance fee into MLS I do
WisBearcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 10:48 PM   #1263
MKE-MSP-CHI

Likes (Received): 3112

Right, and that fell through in 2005. At the time there were 12 teams in the league. Back then, the league was just starting to turn a corner after multiple failed franchises, an abysmal product, and low attendance in NFL stadiums. Flash forward to now - 26 teams, a $150M buy in, and the requirement of a soccer specific stadium well in the works. In the meantime, the MLS has gone from a novelty here (and a joke in Europe) to a respected league that is at least of similar quality to Liga MX - long the best domestic league in the Americas.

Echoing WisBearcat, other cities are much further in the process and would be awarded well before Milwaukee. I absolutely hate how they define the market area as an MLS team would draw from Madison (easily), but there are much faster growing metros that have passed us or will soon pass Milwaukee with the soccer infrastructure. Max, this ship has sailed. In 2005, Milwaukee was an attractive choice - but the league and the financial considerations are far different today. The ONLY way I can think of this, is if MKE successfully attracts a USL team, builds a stadium, and has a very wealthy group of influential investors which can sway the selection committee. But this is at least five years even if everyone gets going now. Relocations have been discussed for both KC and Columbus, so I suppose that's an avenue - but I don't see the MLS moving to a saturated small market. Austin would seem to siphon off at least one team especially as a large market with 0 pro league teams.
MKE-MSP-CHI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 01:31 AM   #1264
Boatnurd

Likes (Received): 1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMax View Post
Here is your site location MilwaukeeMax

MilwaukeeMax liked this post
Boatnurd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:24 AM   #1265
MilwaukeeMax
🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnurd View Post
Here is your site location MilwaukeeMax

Yep. That's the site. South of Canal, west of 6th. An absolutely perfect size and location for a soccer stadium right there.

MKERevival liked this post
Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:31 AM   #1266
MilwaukeeMax
🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-MSP-CHI View Post
Right, and that fell through in 2005. At the time there were 12 teams in the league. Back then, the league was just starting to turn a corner after multiple failed franchises, an abysmal product, and low attendance in NFL stadiums. Flash forward to now - 26 teams, a $150M buy in, and the requirement of a soccer specific stadium well in the works. In the meantime, the MLS has gone from a novelty here (and a joke in Europe) to a respected league that is at least of similar quality to Liga MX - long the best domestic league in the Americas.

Echoing WisBearcat, other cities are much further in the process and would be awarded well before Milwaukee. I absolutely hate how they define the market area as an MLS team would draw from Madison (easily), but there are much faster growing metros that have passed us or will soon pass Milwaukee with the soccer infrastructure. Max, this ship has sailed. In 2005, Milwaukee was an attractive choice - but the league and the financial considerations are far different today. The ONLY way I can think of this, is if MKE successfully attracts a USL team, builds a stadium, and has a very wealthy group of influential investors which can sway the selection committee. But this is at least five years even if everyone gets going now. Relocations have been discussed for both KC and Columbus, so I suppose that's an avenue - but I don't see the MLS moving to a saturated small market. Austin would seem to siphon off at least one team especially as a large market with 0 pro league teams.

Yeah, you and Wisbearcat might be right, although I don't want you to be right.
I guess I would say though that if Milwaukee got passed over for an MLS team in the past and then fell out of the running in subsequent years, who's to say that the teams that are vying for a team now but end up not chosen for an expansion won't give up too and their investor groups will also dry up like they did here, giving Milwaukee another potential chance to put together a bid? I know that's really speculative, but damn if this town wouldn't do so well with an MLS team.

Maybe we will have to wait another 10 or more years, but I hope we never say never on something like this. It's beyond frustrating that the attempts 10 and even 15 years ago fell through, because we could be sitting pretty with an up and coming league in our town instead of just wishing and wishing and wishing the way Seattle wishes it never would have let its NBA team go or the way Utah wishes it had an MLB team.

I will also say, I wish that American pro sports (MLS in particular) did a relegation system like you see in Europe. The top team(s) of the B-level league come up to the A-level the following season, the bottom team(s) of the A level go down to play in the B league the following season and so on. This gives cities and teams a chance to always move their way up if they play their cards right.

Mesheke, Mr. Milwaukee liked this post
Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:36 AM   #1267
phxtravelboy

Likes (Received): 599

I am VERY glad the Packers cleaned house. They needed to do this a few years ago already. As far as I'm concerned they only got it 2/3 right. McCarthy also needs to be shown the door. That man is beyond bullheaded!! He refuses to ever acknowledge when he is wrong which is unacceptable. Hundley was his little pet project and we all saw how that turned out yet he refused to pull him as that would admit he was wrong. I guess some change is a start, but I still say McCarthy needs to go next.
phxtravelboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 04:50 PM   #1268
MKERevival
Just a Source of Opinion

Likes (Received): 4436

Packers hiring Brian Gutekunst as general manager

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...eneral-manager

Wisconsin Breweries Map: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1075...jWnONeAyafvqLw

MKEEASTSIDER liked this post
MKERevival no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 04:24 AM   #1269
wisco220

Likes (Received): 136

Bucks vs Warriors tonight, an opportunity for Milwaukee to get some national exposure but I've noticed many of the skyline shots ESPN are using are old. Looking east NWM is missing, from the lakefront the old NWM building is in view.
wisco220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
milwaukee