SkyscraperCity Forum banner

V Tower/Arena Central | Canc.

95K views 693 replies 88 participants last post by  woodhousen 
#1 ·
Is it about time the Council started to sort this mess out...

Now that New Street and the Library are being renovated/demolished, surely this is the largest blot on the landscape in the city centre.

Broad Street is on it's last legs, Brindley Place is still surviving but as an island amid the drabness and run down properties along that route, even the ICC and NIA are looking tired and grey.

http://www.civicarts.com/the-v-building.php

Also with the revised height limit for Regal of 200 metres, surely any prospective developer could now look at building higher than the 187 metre limit. People may argue that the failings of buildings such as Beetham have contributed to a perceived lack of interest from the public in high rise living, but when I viewed an apartment in Beetham there was no parking with it, and the apartments were tiny.

Come on BCC get this embarrassment sorted!

#79 ·
#82 ·
A brief mention, not sure if it will actually lead to anything positive:-

Blackstone in talks over Miller stake
16/07/2011 00:00

Blackstone is in advanced negotiations to buy a significant stake in Edinburgh-based housebuilder and developer Miller Group.

A source close to the deal said Blackstone was looking to invest £160m into the firm as part of a refinancing with lenders.

It then wants to work with Miller, which is involved in the Arena Central development in Birmingham, to use the company as a vehicle for consolidation in the sector.
http://www.egi.co.uk/Articles/Article.aspx?liArticleID=736999

#83 ·
The BP carries a story about a new hotel (300 beds I think, I only briefly skimmed the article) which will kick start the scheme, if the council agree to restructure the S106. The article goes on to say that the V tower will be built by Dandara once the property market recovers! I'm not sure how much weight to put on this statement especially given BPs unenviable track record of getting things wrong.

#86 ·
No Bb, this is a separate build which, on one hand is good in that we are seeing movement on the site, but on the other hand I thought if this were ever to get off the ground, it would need a strong hotel element and this could have provided the push .Ironically , if we add the rooms for Crowne Plaza and this proposal we would have had roughly the same units to get V into the sky .

#90 ·
The article states that the V Tower is still "planned" and there is no quote. I take this to reflect the fact that they renewed the permission not so long ago. I wouldn't get too carried away with the prospects of the tower ever being built, although good news about the hotel.

#92 · (Edited)
On a side note.

Miller Construction (Arena Central - Not V Tower) were sponsors at a Birmingham event the other day alongside other major players in the industry that are working on schemes in and around Birmingham.

In relation to the article. Good news. Especially considering the office space was increasing from 500,000 sqft to 800,000 sqft. could see some larger buildings in and around the site. Maybe a couple of towers throughout the scheme.

(Joshwebb - don't get excited).

Can't wait to see a design. Guess we'll see something within 3/6 months.

20-25 storeys?

Old masterplan but suspect it'll be no shorter then Cen. Plaza.

#93 ·
A little bit more information courtesy of EGI
Arena Central seeks beds consent
Lisa Pilkington 06/10/2011 11:43

Miller Developments and Andy Ruhan's Bridgehouse Capital are seeking to revise the development agreement for the £400m Arena Central development in Birmingham.

Their jv, Arena Central Developments, has approached Birmingham city council to ask for a change to allow a 300-bedroom hotel to be built on the site, without triggering the full leasehold payments envisaged in the original agreement.

Birmingham council planners are expected to agree to the request.

Subject to consent, work is expected to start on site by the end of next year.

This January, the jv won consent to build as much as 800,000 sq ft of offices at the 2.3m sq ft scheme and also agreed with the council to re-phase section 106 payments and section 278 highway works to assist the redevelopment of the site.

The move to include the three- to four-star hotel was triggered to take advantage of the buoyant hotel sector in the city.

CBRE and GVA are advising the jv.

#94 ·
Finally some decent news on this front! I have to say I'm not all that fond of the design of the V building, it just looks to me like a 21st century glass version of a rubbish tower block, mixed with the shard-which isn't all that imaginative.

It would be nice to see something as unique as Selfridges for example, a nice clad like that maybe, not too much glass on show. The V was also a bit to similar to alpha tower in the sense that it was very angular. Something a bit more smooth and liquidy-is that a word. Also need a green space, not enough greenery in brum town at the moment. Just a small garden juxtaposed against large brick/concrete/glass structure-brindley place ish would be nice. Or maybe something ultra ultra modern.

#100 ·
It would be nice to see something as unique as Selfridges for example, a nice clad like that maybe, not too much glass on show. The V was also a bit to similar to alpha tower in the sense that it was very angular. Something a bit more smooth and liquidy-is that a word. Also need a green space, not enough greenery in brum town at the moment. Just a small garden juxtaposed against large brick/concrete/glass structure-brindley place ish would be nice. Or maybe something ultra ultra modern.
If i remember, V buildings design was meant to mirror alpha tower some what. The similarity was contrived by the architect.

Can not believe it has taken so long for the decision to be made on this request. Anyone know why it would take so long? i got letter today about land close to me and the decision will be made on the app at the end of this month. seems strange that's all.

#95 ·
I dont think in a city like Birmingham, with few tall building like this, you need to have a flashy clad or wacky design.London, New York, Hong kong maybe, but because this would be a stand alone building somewhat I think it would be suicide to make it too controvertial.

With low buildings like the Library and Selfridges it's cool, but with the V building it's height is impact enough, simplicity is beautiful with skyscrapers IMO.

#103 ·
josh you crack me up lol

which is the hotel on that render? i live in CP and cant wait to see the back of that nasty multi storey.

I hope with this scheme the plan is to open the link between centenary square and holliday street. It currently acts as a barrier in much the same was as the library when it really could be an extension of the city centre.

And talking of green spaces, the area in front of the Axis building with the trees is an oasis of green at the moment!!

#105 ·
^^Centenary Plaza.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.