daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Mehfil Pakistan > Transportation and Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old March 2nd, 2006, 06:07 AM   #1
Metropole

Likes (Received): 18236

KARACHI | 24-km Karachi Elevated Expressway

Agreement signed for 24-km elevated expressway

By Fasahat Mohiuddin

KARACHI: City Nazim Syed Mustafa Kamal has termed the signing of agreement for the construction of 24-kilometer elevated expressway from Jinnah Bridge to Quaidabad, at a cost of $225 million, as a revolution in the communication and economic sectors of Karachi as well as Pakistan.

The project includes construction of 24-kilometer long and 25-meter wide expressway having three lanes on each side. The expressway would be constructed in three years time.

He said this during the signing of agreement between a Malaysian firm IJM Corporation Ltd and City District Government Karachi (CDGK) held at a local hotel on Wednesday. CDGK was represented by City Nazim Syed Mustafa Kamal, while Mr Dato Goh Chye Koon signed the agreement on behalf of IJM. Sindh Governor Dr Isharatul Ebad, City Naib Nazim Mrs Nasreen Jalil, DC Karachi Fazlur Rehman, all the EDOs of CDGK as well as US Consul General in Karachi Marry Witt were also present on the occasion.

Speaking on the occasion, Mustafa Kamal said that this project was formalized after an exercise of two-and-a-half months, adding that this project would be completed at a fast pace following which Pakistan would also move with the same pace.

"This is one of the biggest projects of CDGK and not just an MOU as we have completed all the formalities with a practical approach," he added.

After completing this project the company would collect toll tax for a period of 15 years, he said and added that this expressway would serve as Southern Bypass and a link to Airport for sea port.

Mustafa said the idea for an elevated expressway was conceived in view of Sharea Faisal becoming highly congested for traffic and causing great inconvenience to patients, particularly during VVIPs movement, who would stuck up in traffic jams.

"We are committed to resolve the problems of common man and this project is a practical approach towards this end," he added.

Talking to The News after the ceremony, Deputy CEO and Deputy Managing Director of IJM Corporation Berhad, Dato Goh Koon, said: "We will start preparing feasibility of this project from today and hand over the same to CDGK after six months". Besides, the corporation would soon establish an office in Karachi, he added.

Explaining salient features of the project, he said the elevated expressway would have six inter-changes at Quaidabad inter-section, Star Gate, HIR Road, Shahrah-e-Quaideen, Hotel Metropole and Jinnah Bridge (Native Jetty).

According to him, Phase-I of the project includes feasibility study and designing of the project, to be completed within a period of six months, which would be followed by engineering, procurement, financing, construction, operation, maintenance and transfer of the project.

Under Phase II the IJM Corporation shall be entitled to levy, demand and collect an appropriate fee from vehicles and persons using the elevated expressway.

The CDGK will handover to IJM Corporation the physical possession of the site within 60 days together with the necessary rights of way/way leaves for the implementation of Phase-I .

Earlier, Dato Goh Chye Koon welcomed the City Nazim and said, "Today’s signing of agreement will mark a new history for the city of Karachi.

http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/mar20...6/metro/k1.htm
Metropole no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old March 2nd, 2006, 06:21 AM   #2
merijanpakistan
We need Malcolm X

Likes (Received): 28

Salam,

My Lord! This is a really good news. This is a 6-lane expressway! (3-lanes per side).

Intrestingly, the Nazim said, it is not just an MOU, but that they ARE going for this one.

Truly a good news.

Peace.

Zero Political Repression
Zero Social Discrimination
Zero Economic Exploitation
Zero Environmental Extortion
merijanpakistan no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:07 AM   #3
moby_khan

Likes (Received): 2

great news for great karachi peoples...
moby_khan no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2006, 08:54 AM   #4
Kashmiri84
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

I'm not so crazy about elevated motorways so much as improved rail-based public transportation. $250,000,000 sure could be useful in developing a tram network or metro system, but I guess its better than nothing.
Kashmiri84 no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2006, 08:54 AM   #5
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

Likes (Received): 326

Very good news, I am also including this in the Karachi news thread.
swerveut no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:07 AM   #6
FK
Retired

Likes (Received): 1217

A very good project indeed, will help alot in reducing Karachi's mammoth traffic mess
FK no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:12 AM   #7
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

IJM Corporation Berhad (104131-A)
Announcement

February 22, 2006 Updated : 22/02/2006

Construction of Elevated Expressway Along Shahrah-E-Faisal from Quaidabad Intersection to Jinnah Bridge in Karachi, Pakistan on Annuity Concept

The Company has received a Letter of Intent dated 17 February 2006 from City District Government Karachi, Pakistan for the Design and Construction of Elevated Expressway along Shahrah-e-Faisal from Quaidabad Intersection to Jinnah Bridge, Karachi on an Annuity Concept ("the Project"). The project costs will be determined at the end of Phase I studies.

The Project will be implemented in two (2) phases. Phase I of the Project involves financial feasibility study and engineering design, which shall be completed within six (6) months. In the event that the parties do not enter into an agreement for implementing Phase II for whatever reason, the Company shall be entitled to claim costs and expenses incurred for the purposes of carrying out the obligations in Phase I.

The construction of the Elevated Expressway will be undertaken within thirty (30) months from the date of commencement under the Phase II Agreement. The Phase II Agreement will be signed upon the completion of the work under Phase I. A wholly-owned special purpose vehicle will be incorporated in Pakistan to undertake Phase II of the Project.

None of the Directors nor substantial shareholders of the Company, or persons connected with them, has any interest, direct or indirect, in the transaction.

http://www.ijm.com/announ_060222.htm
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:36 PM   #8
siali

Likes (Received): 0

Muxch needed development. I was in KHI last month, it resemble like Southeast Asian cities of 80-90s, construction everywhere. Flyovers every where. Once the Northern bypass and Lyarie expressways are completed, Karachi would be shining again.
siali no está en línea  
Old March 3rd, 2006, 01:12 AM   #9
NewYork-wala
BANNED

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by siali
Muxch needed development. I was in KHI last month, it resemble like Southeast Asian cities of 80-90s, construction everywhere. Flyovers every where. Once the Northern bypass and Lyarie expressways are completed, Karachi would be shining again.
Interesting... What other kind of construction did you see?
NewYork-wala no está en línea  
Old March 3rd, 2006, 01:14 AM   #10
NewYork-wala
BANNED

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmiri84
I'm not so crazy about elevated motorways so much as improved rail-based public transportation. $250,000,000 sure could be useful in developing a tram network or metro system, but I guess its better than nothing.
Your right... Motorways dont neccesarily reduce trafiic but public transport does. The famous Robert Moses, the New York developer discovered this in New York way back...
NewYork-wala no está en línea  
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:55 PM   #11
siali

Likes (Received): 0

Karachi is virtually under construction. II Chundrigar Rd, Sh Faisal and Clifton Rd, new signs are up for new buildings. New develiopments near Ph 8 DHA, Arabian Sea Country Club, Super Highway and the new sites at Northern bypass. Everywhere the buzz is high rise for economic revival. Cranes are up so are the bulldozers. Traffic jams even at 2 am, every hr is a rush hr. Karachi seems just alright and wish all the best to my fellow citizens.
siali no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2006, 02:48 AM   #12
Metropole

Likes (Received): 18236

Second elevated expressway

Expressway to link New Karachi with Tower

Nazim says EoIs will be invited soon

By Fasahat Mohiuddin

KARACHI: Karachi is to have another elevated expressway — from New Karachi to Merewether Tower — which will ensure speedy flow of traffic and tackle the problem of congestion on city’s arterial roads.

City Nazim Syed Mustafa Kamal disclosed this exclusively to The News at his office the other day.

After the signing of a deal for a similar expressway from Jinnah Bridge to Airport last week, this would be the "second biggest gift" to the citizens, he said, adding that Expressions of Interest (EoIs) for the ambitious project would be invited "very soon".

In the same way as an agreement was signed with a Malaysian firm, IJM, for the first elevated expressway last week, bids would be called for the second one as well, and the company qualifying this process would be awarded the contract. Mustafa said the city government had adopted a policy of public-private partnership. He said IJM will also bring finances for the expressway connecting Airport with the Jinnah Bridge and, in return, will collect toll tax for 15 years.

He said Karachi, with a population of 14 million, is spread over 1800 square kilometers and has a long network of main roads, arteries and sub-roads. With a burgeoning population, the number of vehicles is also increasing by the day.

It may be mentioned that traffic jams on Shahra-e-Faisal have become a routine as the key artery is often used for VVIP movement. Traffic volumes on various intersections of Shahra-e-Faisal vary from 1,21,641 vehicles to 2,58,005 vehicles during the daytime. At peak hours, most intersections reach saturation levels.

All the traffic emanating from, or heading towards, Port Qasim, Pakistan Steel, and Export Promotion Zone use Shahra-e-Faisal, putting added pressure on the already clogged road. The situation becomes miserable for motorists at intersections where it takes quite long for snarl-ups to clear.

Most mega cities of the world have one or more signal-free corridors to allow travel without interruption. "We are trying to reduce traveling time of citizens," Mustafa said. Once the signal-free corridor from Jinnah Bridge to Quidabad is complete, it will take 40 percent less time than it does now to travel between the two points. He said elevated expressway from New Karachi to Merewether Tower will also reduce traveling time to a large extent and ease pressure on their wallets.

Replying to a question, he said the two elevated expressways, once commissioned, will provide employment to a large number of skilled and unskilled people.

He said all encroachments coming in the way of expressways would be removed. A survey in this regard was being carried out.

He said the two expressways would be included in the City Master Plan of 2020 which is under preparation. Underground utility lines are the biggest hurdle in the way of its completion. "But we have resolved the matter and very soon the master plan would be in place with its digital maps," he said.

He said the only solution of traffic congestion in the city was a mass transit programme.
Metropole no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:22 AM   #13
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

Exclamation

BAD NEWS BAD NEWS!!!

This new expressway article you just posted is an IMMENSE CAUSE FOR CONCERN!!

Any expressway passing through to Merewether Tower from New Karachi will have to pass through M. A. Jinnah road. The historic city center of Karachi where all of its history is based.

If that happens, it can PERMANENTLY THREATEN Karachi's historic heritage and identity.

The CDGK needs to let the public know of its intentions about this expressway in full detail so we can be aware of what disadvantages it can have for the city.
Old March 8th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #14
mehdi_cs
Physicist

Likes (Received): 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerveut
BAD NEWS BAD NEWS!!!

This new expressway article you just posted is an IMMENSE CAUSE FOR CONCERN!!

Any expressway passing through to Merewether Tower from New Karachi will have to pass through M. A. Jinnah road. The historic city center of Karachi where all of its history is based.

If that happens, it can PERMANENTLY THREATEN Karachi's historic heritage and identity.

The CDGK needs to let the public know of its intentions about this expressway in full detail so we can be aware of what disadvantages it can have for the city.
100% correct point.
i hope they have alternate ways to achieve this but if they dont have there arises a question
progress or historical heritage?
because it indeed needs traffic management anyway or m i wrong?
Old March 8th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #15
FK
Retired

Likes (Received): 1217

Im not sure they will build this 2nd expressway ..

Just seems too fake and secondly, why? We have the Lyari Expressway, the Northern Bypass, now the Southern Bypass, so why make Karachi a hub of Expressways!
FK no está en línea  
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #16
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehdi_cs
100% correct point.
i hope they have alternate ways to achieve this but if they dont have there arises a question
progress or historical heritage?
because it indeed needs traffic management anyway or m i wrong?

There is no question of choosing between the two!
Both are important! I would definitely stress heritage being more important.
YOU JUST CANT GO LOSING YOUR IDENTITY IN THE NAME OF PROGRESS!

What is needed here is extensive planning to make sure that both goals can be achieved. There are ways that transit can be made effective while also preserving a city's historical center. Lots of cities have done it. So can Karachi.
Needless to say, any plan that ends up destroying the city's historical center is completely unacceptable.
Old March 10th, 2006, 07:57 AM   #17
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

IJM Corporation Berhad (104131-A)
Announcement

March 8, 2006 Updated : 08/03/2006

Agreement for Phase I of the Construction of Elevated Expressway along Shahrah-E-Faisal from Quaidabad Intersection to Jinnah Bridge in Karachi, Pakistan on Annuity Concept

Further to the announcement dated 22 February 2006, the Company has on 1 March 2006 signed an Agreement for Phase I of the Construction of Elevated Expressway along Shahrah-E-Faisal from Quaidabad Intersection to Jinnah Bridge in Karachi, Pakistan on Annuity Concept ("the Project") with the City District Government Karachi ("CDGK"), Pakistan.

Phase I of the Project involves financial feasibility study and engineering design, which shall be completed within six (6) months. The construction of the Elevated Expressway will be undertaken within thirty (30) months from the date of commencement under the Phase II Agreement. The Phase II Agreement will be signed upon the completion of the work under Phase I.

The total project cost, which comprises Phase I and Phase II of the Project, is estimated to be USD225,000,000 (approximately RM830,000,000). The actual cost of the Project will be determined upon the completion of Phase I.

Under the Annuity Concept, the Company will operate and maintain the Expressway for twenty (20) years after its completion, and will collect toll on behalf of the CDGK. The Company will be paid in two (2) semi-annual payments over twenty (20) years.

The Company will be responsible for arranging and obtaining funds to finance the construction, operation and maintenance of the Elevated Expressway. The CDGK, solely or jointly with the Government of Sindh, Pakistan, will provide sovereign guarantee for the repayment of the funds raised by the Company.

http://www.ijm.com/announ_060308b.htm
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #18
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

KUALA LUMPUR: Feasibility of expressway

KUALA LUMPUR, April 10: The feasibility study and engineering design of the 24km elevated expressway from Jinnah Bridge to Quaidabad will be completed by July 2006, one month ahead of schedule.

Karachi Nazim Mustafa Kamal was informed about it during his talks with Dato Krishnan Tan, the CEO of Malaysian IJM Corporation Berhad.

Mr Tan told the nazim that this would facilitate ground breaking of US$225 million mega project in August. He said that setting up of joint task force would definitely assist in achieving completion of elevated expressway in three years.

IJM is setting up an office in Karachi, headed by a country director with his technical team, to start ground survey work and traffic studies along this corridor within a week.

The expressway will have three lanes on each side. On completion, IJM will collect toll tax for a period of 15 years. It will serve as Southern Bypass and a link to airport for the two seaports of Karachi.

IJM indicated that it was interested in making investment in infrastructure development and other mega projects in Karachi in view of opportunities and facilities available.—PPI

http://www.dawn.com/2006/04/11/local18.htm
Old April 11th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #19
cntower
دل دل پاکستان

Likes (Received): 487

Ever heard of the Bostan "Big Dig"?

Karachi could sure as hell use one...
cntower no está en línea  
Old April 11th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #20
moby_khan

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntower
Ever heard of the Bostan "Big Dig"?

Karachi could sure as hell use one...
"Boston Big Dig" will cost over 15 billion dollars and that project will completed around 2012...i dont think Pakistan can afford project like "BIG DIG"..
moby_khan no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: