daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #1
Shmuckadoodle

Location: Greater Madchester, England, UK, Western Europe, Earth, Space (North)
Likes (Received): 0

Street Litter

Dont you just hate it in this country.

Pointless lamposts all the time..

eg all this near picadilly gardens

why dont they join them all up or something.
Its not just that but everywhere else, like your walking down the street and theres a lampost right in the middle of the pavement, and then another to the side.

They really need to make it more friendly for padestrians. In places like newyork the pavements are clear for the sake of the people walking on them. Sometimes the goverment are a bit too convinient and can make the place look a mess.

~Albert Einstein

City of peace
9462 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 7th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #2
cottonopolis

I agree with you totally on this one 9462. It´s somewthing I often think about on my way around town. The appearance and number of those bloody lampostsd really ruin the look and feel of many streets. But I think there must be some sort of regulation about how they appear and are where they´re palced, ruling out more creative solutions?
cottonopolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 07:08 PM   #3
Shmuckadoodle

Location: Greater Madchester, England, UK, Western Europe, Earth, Space (North)

in some countrys theyll have one lampost with like 4 sets of traffis light on them, rather than having 4 poles. It would also save money if they did it that way.

most of the time when crossing the road, id rather not use a confusing padestrian crossing and use the road. And what ever happened to white lines crossing the road, instead of annoying metal things, and red paint, plus them bumpy bits that are supposed to be better for grip, but arent exactly a plus point for disabled people.

~Albert Einstein

City of peace
9462 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #4
Farsight

Likes (Received): 197

I think you've got a good point 9462. The wealth of posts, poles, and signs can really make a place look scrappy. There was a roundabout near me with a central planted area. It was beautiful, and the traffic flowed. Now it's an ugly urban mess with railings and traffic lights everywhere along with signs and poles and fumes from snarled up traffic. I swear somebody got a backhander for ******* it all up.
Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #5
caw123
Hit the north!

HA! I was thinking of doing a panoramic of that exact mess at the top of Aytoun Street to show how ******* stupid it looks. There really most be about a dozen poles with various crap on them at that one junction.

The whole Piccadilly area is a mess of street litter. It's a shitter crossing from the top of Portland Street into the gardens. Last week I narrowly missed a bus and then a cyclist at this junction. (That might have been my fault though, a little bit!) I know this is minor but if you cross from just outside Edwards in Westminster House to the bus station there is an island with railings positioned so that you cannot walk straight across, you have to change direction and walk around them - the point? ******* isn't one. It's a bloody pain during the rush hour when you've got dozens of people wanting to cross at once.

Also, construction works are causing a headache. The other end of Aytoun Street is shit to cross thanks to Piccadilly Place, High Street is a deathtrap thanks to the arndale redevelopment taking up the pavement on one side. People end up walking down the tram lines or in the road, a guy got hit by a tram here today.

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #6
Sir Miles Platting

Likes (Received): 4

You guys don't know you're born. Most N.American are riddled with old wooden telephone/electric poles running (sometimes on both sides) down their main streets. Oh there's the odd 'parkway' style street here and there, but they never did get round to distributing phone/electric wires and cables underground to anywhere near the extent of the British and European cities and towns. I'm not talking about the primary national grids here, the network of pylons scattered throughout the countryside either, I'm talking about urban distribution. In fact there are so many streets with these ugly ancient monstosities that they have become 'invisible' to the native population, so much that when they are pointed out to them it usually evokes gasps of "shit, you're right man, I never really noticed 'em before you mentioned it, what a pile of ugly crap".
They could have buried these cables long ago when it would have been much cheaper, but I'm afraid the N.American aversion to paying a little more tax meant that no utility company or municipality would bite the bullet.
Now their past foolishness has proved to be a false economy as the overhead plant is in terminal decay and in constant need of 'band-aid maintenance'.
Not only is it ugly but it's almost third world , and ironically in a continent that endures the two extremes in temperature, along with the freak weather, tornadoes in summer, hurricanes in autumn and in the hugely populated Great Lakes Basin, some of the heaviest snow falls and ice storms in the winter. If you've ever seen what an ice storm or freezing rain does to overhead wires and cables you'll know where I'm coming from.
So stop cribbing about a few godamned lamp posts......
Sir Miles Platting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #7
ForeverSalfordRed
BANNED

What about the empty coke cans, beer bottles, cartons, paper, wrappings and the rest of the litter thrown about while were ion the litter subject?
Has it improved?
ForeverSalfordRed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #8
vertigosufferer

Likes (Received): 1

vertigosufferer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #9
highriser

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverSalfordRed
What about the empty coke cans, beer bottles, cartons, paper, wrappings and the rest of the litter thrown about while were ion the litter subject?
Has it improved?
Manchester as got the litter problem mostly sorted out now, ive noticed a huge difference in how clean places look,
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #10
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 6534

Quote:
Originally Posted by highriser
Manchester as got the litter problem mostly sorted out now, ive noticed a huge difference in how clean places look,
In the city centre I would agree but many of the poorer residential areas are still pretty dirty.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #11
highriser

Likes (Received): 30

I know what your saying Jonesy, but there a far more council worker's lately litter picking . I live in one of the so called poorer area's and the sight of a road sweeper is now more frequent
Unfortunatly there are still a lot of mindless people who dont give a damn about litter and throw there crap on the floor, but that is the case in most poor area's around the country .
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #12
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 6534

Quote:
Originally Posted by highriser
I know what your saying Jonesy, but there a far more council worker's lately litter picking . I live in one of the so called poorer area's and the sight of a road sweeper is now more frequent
Unfortunatly there are still a lot of mindless people who dont give a damn about litter and throw there crap on the floor, but that is the case in most poor area's around the country .
Yeah, I wasn't saying that Manchester is any worse than anywhere else. I work in Birmingham and some of the suburbs there are terrible for litter and I was in Tottenham last weekend and that was really bad, kebab cartons, fag packets, shopping bags and drink bottles and cans everywhere, in the gutters, on the pavements, in the hedges at the bottom of gardens, disgusting
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #13
WeasteDevil
Salford Red

In certain places, Picc Gardens being an example, you can't really get away with not having lamposts, however, what I don´t understand is why on normal streets they don't attach the street lamps to the buildings more.
Old October 8th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #14
oscar9

Likes (Received): 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasteDevil
In certain places, Picc Gardens being an example, you can't really get away with not having lamposts, however, what I don´t understand is why on normal streets they don't attach the street lamps to the buildings more.
I've noticed they do this more in continental Europe...it makes more sense than having posts everywhere but I would imagine there would be problems of gaining permission off the buildings owners unless there was some incentive from the council/electricity company or whoever is in charge of the lighting such as charging rental to them.I do think the newer style street lighting is an improvment with the thinner columns and smaller 'cobra' style halogen lamp units instead of those big ugly oblong sodium lamps.
oscar9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #15
nosey

Likes (Received): 9

Litter in town

Yes I do agree, people need to take pride and should not be throwing litter on floor and chewing gum on the floor.

But there is hardly any bins in town and it feels like you could be walking to Moscow and not see a bin in sight. When you do find a bin, sometimes, you get daft bins where it is impossible to throw anything in there.
How about more bins, more recycling bin (if needs be) and perhaps create incentive for people to throw litter in bins?

Town needs more cleaners and more pressure washers. Not just isolated to Market St but all of town, from far as the universities to chapel St.
nosey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #16
timo
Weaste Infection

Likes (Received): 26

i have been to lagos in portugal a few times recently, they have huge recycling bins sunk in to the ground so seem to take up less space. can't see any reason why these wouldn't work in manchester.

generally there is a huge lack of bins. i regularly pick up glass bottles that have been discarded to try and find a bin for them and can't find one for 5-6 minutes of walking - not good enough.
timo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #17
timo
Weaste Infection

Likes (Received): 26

clearly though - the attitude of the average mancunian is where the majority of blame lies. there is a lack of pride in the city.
timo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #18
alexios

This is such a important issue for Manchester city centre. Ok we cant do that much about the profusion of surface car parking, the stalled building sites and empty buildings, but we can do something about the litter.

Im fed up getting mates up here and having to field questions about why the place is so so dirty. I regularly get the met from Altrincham into town and the side of the track is basically one big open dustbin. There are so many other examples like this.
alexios no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #19
Steve C

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo View Post
clearly though - the attitude of the average mancunian is where the majority of blame lies. there is a lack of pride in the city.
It's a country wide thing, the same issues are in every town and city, and it's really sad.

No idea what the answer is though. I agree that putting out more bins is only part of the solution as the issue comes from people's attitudes.
Old October 13th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #20
NQ Lee

Likes (Received): 73

Litter really infuriates a large proportion of people. You only have to look at the need for a seperate thread on here to see that. I don't think council officials fully appreciate just how damaging litter can be to the success of a city.

My partner has several clients currently staying in Manchester from various parts of Germany. When we had drinks with them the other night all of them spoke negatively about the litter problem in Manchester. These people will soon be going back to their respective offices in Frankfurt and Berlin and telling their colleagues about their pereception of the city. This is seriously damaging for Manchester who could really be damaging their chances as a major tourist destination in the UK.
NQ Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote