SkyscraperCity Forum banner
4M views 8K replies 647 participants last post by  TM_Germany 
#1 ·
This is probably the biggest reconstruction project in Germany right now. The area around the Frauenkirche will be rebuilt in a classic and modern way which means that most buildings will be reconstructed along with some modern additions.

See less See more
#265 ·
I thought you do in Ostrava.

-Ataman
I know, its completeley off topic...but why do you build a structure in a U-Shape, and then orientate neither the streets, nor the landscape to the shape of the buildingt?

I mean that street, that runs throught the building on the left side, is a joke, form an architects point of view....

Or the U-Shape itself ir orientated wrong in the context of the location.....

Somehow the commies had weird town planners...

#270 ·
When this complex of buildings will be finished there hopefully occurs a rethinking regarding urban planning in other cities too :)
these structures will never be ugly, they are timeless,
but people dont get that, modern architecture is rarely timeless, and is almost always ugly later on. These are the sort of structures we should build, not concrete and tin boxes and say its 'art' .
This is real architecture, the detail shows the confidence of the people in the city, the rich bold history, the fruitfulness of the city,
and what do glass cubes and tin boxes say?... eh, nothing.

#271 · (Edited)
The colour scheme, proportions and the bright, thick plastic window frames :) But like I said, the church is impressive.
so shall we just level it all and put in glass boxes?:nuts:
these dont look fake, these are timeless designs, cities could learn a thing or two from Dresden. This is real urbanism.
Alot of it has to do with money, I have seen ornate structures constructed in this time for reasonable pricing, it all has to do with being as minimal as possible.
People say its nostalgic, hell no, its just tasteful. After probably 1940, structures became bland, ugly, etc, we just never created our own timeless style, like the ones before us. We just construct minimal crap. This are the sort of things people should live in.
These designs mark a new age of urbanism coming toward us, in which the older fashions will become more and more popular, and modern architecture will verse with older architecture for development.
Modern architecture does not show class, the ornate detail is what shows how much money is put into a structure.

#273 ·
these dont look fake, these are timeless designs, cities could learn a thing or two from Dresden. This is real urbanism.
Alot of it has to do with money, I have seen ornate structures constructed in this time for reasonable pricing, it all has to do with being as minimal as possible.
People say its nostalgic, hell no, its just tasteful. After probably 1940, structures became bland, ugly, etc, we just never created our own timeless style, like the ones before us. We just construct minimal crap. This are the sort of things people should live in.
These designs mark a new age of urbanism coming toward us, in which the older fashions will become more and more popular, and modern architecture will verse with older architecture for development.
Modern architecture does not show class, the ornate detail is what shows how much money is put into a structure.
Don't get too exited mate. Not everyone dreams of no-terasse city quartier living. No-balcony way of living. Nowhere to plant the green, nowhere to go for a kip, nowhere to breathe. I agree, city centres are now somewhat short-lived [compared to what there had been 100 years ago and to what goes on in Dresden], but then again - isn't everything? Cars? Computers? Wives? City pace is much faster than it ever used to be. New buildings are built in place of those only built 20 years ago. To show sth new. To encapsulate permanent changes in city life. To show sth new, new trends in architecture, dynamics. Districts changing their roles and character over just a decade. I agree these things are timeless. I agree they are very pretty. But please do not discredit modern architecture especially in German cities [goes for whole EU really]. There are certain feats of beauty, breathtaking places. Diversity is cool.:cheers2:

#274 ·

OK, relax. I am not saying that historicism and pastiches of historic buildings are bad nor are reconstructions. All I am saying is that the materials used for the blocks of buildings do not appear to mimic what was previously there. If you're going to bother reconstructing something, do it right ... :)

#275 ·
Don't get too exited mate. Not everyone dreams of no-terasse city quartier living. No-balcony way of living. Nowhere to plant the green, nowhere to go for a kip, nowhere to breathe. I agree, city centres are now somewhat short-lived [compared to what there had been 100 years ago and to what goes on in Dresden], but then again - isn't everything? Cars? Computers? Wives? City pace is much faster than it ever used to be. New buildings are built in place of those only built 20 years ago. To show sth new. To encapsulate permanent changes in city life. To show sth new, new trends in architecture, dynamics. Districts changing their roles and character over just a decade. I agree these things are timeless. I agree they are very pretty. But please do not discredit modern architecture especially in German cities [goes for whole EU really]. There are certain feats of beauty, breathtaking places. Diversity is cool.:cheers2:

Then add balconies, green roofs, etc.
but today, we seem to have lacked to create our own timeless style,
structures past 1940 became ugly shortly after, and the same will happen with our era of modern architecture untill we find our own timeless style.
Just because its a new time, doesent mean we should knock down these old structures, but we must advance, and we should bring the architecture, buildings with us.

#276 ·
OK, relax. I am not saying that historicism and pastiches of historic buildings are bad nor are reconstructions. All I am saying is that the materials used for the blocks of buildings do not appear to mimic what was previously there. If you're going to bother reconstructing something, do it right ... :)

they are new, the buildings that are 200 years old now, were probably fresh and new looking too, and dident look old, settled into the foundations, worn, etc. In 100 years, these structures will look as old as structures in Paris or London.

#279 ·
Some more shots for your viewing pleasure.

Frauenkirche and Academy of Arts. The left building on the left is the Cosel Palais which was reconstructed in the 90s as well:

Today

Zwinger Palace

By the Elbe river

Semper Opera

Reactions: Highcliff